Is this Ohm's law?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:02:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is this Ohm's law?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this Ohm's law?  (Read 220 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
« edited: July 27, 2016, 07:25:12 PM by v0031 »

Using equipment of his own creation, Ohm determined that the current that flows through a wire is proportional to its cross sectional area and inversely proportional to its length or Ohm's law.

欧姆用自创的设备,证明了通过一段电线的电流和它的横截面成正比,和电线的长度成反比。

Is above Ohm's law? Different from what I was taught.

I'm not sure if my translation is correct or not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 04:34:42 AM »

The only thing I remember about Ohm's Law is PIE.  Power (in watts) is equal to current (in amps) times voltage (in volts).  The USAF spent a lot of money putting a bunch of sh**t related to it in my head, but it doesn't seem to have stuck.

but what you wrote sounds good too.  It's the first line at wikipedia.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »

The most traditional form of Ohm's law is I = V / R, where I is the current, V (or E) is the electric potential (called voltage or rarely in the US electric tension), and R is the resistance. In this form one would say that the current in a wire is proportional to the applied potential (or voltage) and inversely proportional to the resistance.

Ohm's initial experiments did not identify the resistance as a separate quantity. He found that for a fixed potential the current was proportional to the cross-sectional area and inversely proportional to the length. If the translation added the phrase that I put in bold, it would be more accurate to the work done by Ohm.

dead0's memory is good, but it is an application of Ohm's law to power. The power dissipated by a resistive element in a circuit is P = I2R. If you substitute Ohm's law (I = V/R) into this equation and use E (electromotive force) for V (voltage) you get P = IE.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »

It seemed really important at the time, and then has come up so rarely in real life (and long ago at that), that I've forgotten how it all works.  The safety stuff comes up, when to respect electricity, when not to, but the math of it never (or rarely does).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies