State Trends 2000-2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:00:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  State Trends 2000-2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Trends 2000-2012  (Read 5845 times)
Rainbow_Crown

« on: November 17, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »

The change in the margins of victory relative to popular vote between 2000 and 2012. All data is from this site's archives.

I'm not quite sure why most states are trending Democratic despite adjusting for the popular vote of election year.  The average gain in margin is 1.2% for the democrats.  It may be because some of the largest D-trending states have 3 or 4 EVs (Vermont, Hawaii, Montana, Alaska), scewing the results of this.  Also, keep in mind that the vote is still being counted and Obama's margin is likely to go up, which would shift the relative margins accordingly.

Democrats gained (relative to the popular vote) each election in Vermont, Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina, California, Washington, Texas and Iowa.  Republicans did this in West Virginia, Tennesee, Kentucky and Missouri.

I'm suspicious of Connecticut, the Atlas says Obama won by 3%, which is very different than other websites say and doesn't make any sense given its margins in previous years.

Arizona, Alaska, and Montana really surprised me!

Texas did not trend Democratic in each election. Obama lost by 11 in 2008 and lost by 16-17? in 2012
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies