Reaganfan's Reaction (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:21:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Reaganfan's Reaction (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reaganfan's Reaction  (Read 8438 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« on: November 15, 2012, 05:10:06 AM »

Actually, in many ways things haven't changed that much. For example, Romney won whites by nearly the same margin as Reagan did. But whites were 88% of voters in 1980 and now they're 72%. So in a sense Romney was like Reagan. He only ran with the wrong electorate.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:19:42 AM »

Actually, in many ways things haven't changed that much. For example, Romney won whites by nearly the same margin as Reagan did. But whites were 88% of voters in 1980 and now they're 72%. So in a sense Romney was like Reagan. He only ran with the wrong electorate.

And that electorate is never coming back, thankfully.
Why thankfully?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:29:54 AM »

Why thankfully?
Do you want US to be the entertainer of the world with outrageous policy decisions?
No, but I thought that he (like badgate) considered more diversity within a country a good thing on its own. Which is a very dubious assertion and if history is any guide, a wrong one.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »

Why thankfully?

Although I don't think diversity is a bad thing...that comment was entirely in a political strategy sense.
I also don't think that diversity is a bad thing. I just don't think that a country with many diverse groups is inherently better than a homogeneous country. And there are indeed lots of examples showing that the opposite might be true.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:29:09 AM »

Why thankfully?

Although I don't think diversity is a bad thing...that comment was entirely in a political strategy sense.
I also don't think that diversity is a bad thing. I just don't think that a country with many diverse groups is inherently better than a homogeneous country. And there are indeed lots of examples showing that the opposite might be true.
Whites in the U.S. are also far from homogenous, and the U.S. has never been a homogenous country, at least not in the sense I think you're talking about.
I didn't say that the US was a homogeneous nation. In fact, a few of the examples I was thinking about were from US history - the Civil War, for example. Also, just because the US is fine with its current level of diversity, doesn't mean it will get better with more diversity. It doesn't automatically mean that it will get worse, of course. What I don't really understand is the attitude that more diversity on its own is something to celebrate.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

Conservatism is dead. The oil wars, Katrina, and the theocon takeover killed it. The Republican party killed it by redefining conservatism as the wanton invasion of foreign countries and fear of everything new. "True" conservatives have no one else to blame for Obama's rise to power than themselves, the Democrat party could have nominated a dead, decomposing pig for president in 2008 and won two terms in the white house. Conservatism is dead, we have killed it.
Many Republicans thought that the Democratic party was dying after the 2004 election...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies