Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:39:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote)  (Read 5169 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: April 09, 2015, 07:53:17 PM »

I can't see it working.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »

Thanks, Mr. Speaker.

I'd like to thank Oakvale for his helpful comments at the outset and I'd like to thank other senators for making their views know. However, I cannot allow this issue to simply be swept away with mere indifference and an idea that it "won't work."  This bill is intended to be a starting point for discussion on this issue.

This version is not set in stone nor will I take some recalcitrant position refusing to compromise. I think very simply that we as a nation need to formulate some form of response to sexual assault on college campuses. If honorable senators have other suggestions, this is the time and the place to share them so that we can have a productive and successful collaboration to this issue.

If there are concerns with this version, let's work on them, or replace them with something more effective. Either way, let's make progress and take action.

Let me make my position clear, no one is saying this ins't an important or relevant issue.

But we need to make sure that it's something that is reasonable and  workable.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:51:33 PM »

There is a thread in the main page to present views and formal submissions
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 02:13:46 AM »

There is a thread in the main page to present views and formal submissions

Main Page? The AFE board is not the main page. The AFE board is the board where the elections game aspect of Atlasia is conducted.

The purpose of said thread's creation was to provide a vehicle for greater interest in the Senate's discourse, not to compartmentalize and cast aside the opinions of private citizens to that they can be ignored by the Senate. This place has a long history of being out of touch on a variety of issues, the most recent example being the previous Amendment ratification. Suppressing public interest and input is not in the chamber's best interests.

The issue is that while people take issue with the Senate for pushing some ridiculous ideas, there are never any consequences. The same folks keep winning easily. Something has to change with that.

Yankee - your stands are adorable but the purpose of the thread was not just to increase exposure, but a way to have the clearest avenue for input to Bills.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »

NAY
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »

I really think that the 'consent must be ongoing' language is going to open up a major can of worms that might result in problems once it gets to the implementation stage, fwiw.

I agree. In something related to issues as delicate as this, language REALLY matters. Herein lies the problem, as far as I can see, with what Senator Hagrid is proposing. It does recognise that some situations are ambiguous (or perceived as such), however, recognising it introduces elements subjectivity into the Bill.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »

I really think that the 'consent must be ongoing' language is going to open up a major can of worms that might result in problems once it gets to the implementation stage, fwiw.

I agree. In something related to issues as delicate as this, language REALLY matters. Herein lies the problem, as far as I can see, with what Senator Hagrid is proposing. It does recognise that some situations are ambiguous (or perceived as such), however, recognising it introduces elements subjectivity into the Bill.

How can it not be subjective, though? Consent should be ongoing throughout a sexual activity. So I guess the only solution is to define consent.

That's my point ... It's a really not easy concept to grapple with in this context. Unless you're some kind of monster, you KNOW if consent is given and withdrawn but it is situational. Which is my concern.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 07:10:40 PM »

It's certainly better.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia