Who are poople gonna blame for the shoutdown?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:30:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who are poople gonna blame for the shoutdown?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who are poople gonna blame for the shoutdown?  (Read 1910 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »

Who cares? The only people who will still care about this or remember it in November will be locked in partisans.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »

Who cares? The only people who will still care about this or remember it in November will be locked in partisans.

If so, why do it? Why do arrogant politicians mess with country and the daily lives of the folk?  Maybe a good boomerang will help stop it.

Most analysis view that the closures in the 90s help Clinton and hurt the GOP.   The GOP was not hurt by the 13 shutdown because the battle for the Senate in 2014 was fought in states that were leaning GOP anyways due to the general 2nd mid term lean against the Presidential party, Obama’s failure to carry most of them in 2008 and/0r 2012, middling economic activity, and the drag of Obamacare.

This year the battle will be fought with one exception in states carried by Trump.  The economy may be booming.  The tax cut may be a vey positive factor in these states. If played right by the GOP there could be a boomerang.

Then as you said no one may care.

In either case why do it?

I must say that Trump is handling the closure in a more restrained manner than Clinton or Obama.  He is trying to reduce the pain.   They tried to increase it.  Tell me who is the more reasonable?
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 10:21:52 PM »

If so, why do it? Why do arrogant politicians mess with country and the daily lives of the folk?  Maybe a good boomerang will help stop it.

Most analysis view that the closures in the 90s help Clinton and hurt the GOP.   The GOP was not hurt by the 13 shutdown because the battle for the Senate in 2014 was fought in states that were leaning GOP anyways due to the general 2nd mid term lean against the Presidential party, Obama’s failure to carry most of them in 2008 and/0r 2012, middling economic activity, and the drag of Obamacare.

This year the battle will be fought with one exception in states carried by Trump.  The economy may be booming.  The tax cut may be a vey positive factor in these states. If played right by the GOP there could be a boomerang.

I must say that Trump is handling the closure in a more restrained manner than Clinton or Obama.  He is trying to reduce the pain.   They tried to increase it.  Tell me who is the more reasonable?

What is Trump doing to "reduce the pain", besides rejecting the bipartisan deals offered to him?
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »

What is Trump doing to "reduce the pain", besides rejecting the bipartisan deals offered to him?

Yeah... most of Yankee's post was reasonable until that. Trump has NOT been acting in good faith in these talks, lol. DACA is a program with over 70% approval that Trump is pooping on because of his base.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »

The Democrats will take the blame!

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Shutdown-couldPlait -hurt-Democrats- seeking-re-election-12513170.php

The above article sights a poll for the Democrat Senate Majority PAC conducted in December by Garin-Hart-Yang Research Group in 12 battle ground states.  It found that blame would be split between Trump and Republicans and the Democrats.  However, if the shutdown was tied to the status of the Dreamers, the Democrats bore most of the blame. No actual figures were given.

HOPE A BOOMERANG IS COMING

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 12:07:41 AM »

POOPLE SHOUTDOWN
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/955480441284366336

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/955475268252176385

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/955463261583011840

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/955449740271013889

Republicans surging, and more blame being shifted to Democrat for the shutdown.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »

This is hardly disastrous, and it'll be flushed down the memory hole 3-4 weeks from now when Dear Leader says or tweets something racist or inflammatory.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »

A Morning Consult poll and an NRCC internal, eh.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »

Josh is a well known Republican hack, no surprise from his 'analysis'.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »

Eh, if it's wrapped up before the end of the week I doubt many voters will remember it. I do think that if it drags on it could backfire, especially for some of the D Senate incumbents.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »

Schumer and the Democrats are the ones who kept it from getting enough votes, they just wanted to legalize millions of new Democrats to gain power and keep it forever. Hopefully the general public doesn't fall for the narrative the MSM will make.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »

Lol what?
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »

Schumer and the Democrats are the ones who kept it from getting enough votes, they just wanted to legalize millions of new Democrats to gain power and keep it forever. Hopefully the general public doesn't fall for the narrative the MSM will make.

No.

The Bipartisan DACA deal that Schumer and Durbin would have signed onto had Trump not blown it up would have included a 10 year waiting period for full citizenship for DACA recipients. This provision was included specifically to assuage concerns about this being a political ploy to gain power. (I don't agree with it myself, but I understand why it was there)

The thing I hate the most about this whole debate is the insistence of so many on the right such as yourself that Democrats are acting in bad faith -- that we want this not because it's objectively the right thing to do, but because doing it helps us gain and keep power. That could not be farther from the truth. Nobody with any influence on the left actually thinks like that. So your narrative about why we want to do this is complete bullpucky and you should be ashamed for even suggesting it.

Now you may respond "but Democrats assume bad faith from Republicans when they try to pass Voter ID laws" as a defense of bad-faith assumptions of the opposite side. However, this is a false equivalence. When we assume that Voter ID proponents are acting in bad faith, it's for two reasons. One, no proposed Voter ID law (that I am aware of) makes it any easier for a citizen to get a Voter ID, which is the kind of bad-faith-erasing action similar to the waiting period for DREAMers getting citizenship. But more importantly, we assume bad faith because there is a multitude of clips showing Republican proponents of Voter ID explicitly stating that the purpose of the bill is to help them electorally. As far as I am aware, there is no evidence of any Democrat saying that the purpose of DACA and immigration reform more broadly is to help them electorally.

We are acting in good faith, and only wish for DREAMers and other undocumented immigrants to be able to live and work in the country they call home without fear of losing everything to deportation. To assume any other motive is to be willfully ignorant, and it reveals more about your own cravenness than it does about us.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »

Limo, I really hope you aren't planning on becoming a political analyst. You're wrong on almost everything. What shift has there been? Has any pollster taken more than one poll on the shutdown? Trump's approval ratings are plunging as well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2018, 02:33:34 PM by IceSpear »

As annoying as LimoLiberal is, he probably has a point this time. While there's broad support for DACA, there's very little public appetite for holding up an unrelated budget bill over it. Government shutdowns never accomplish anything anyway. That's why the Dems caved. This was all about posturing for the 2020 contenders, and they dragged the rest of the caucus along with them. I have a lower opinion of all of them now, simply because they've shown they are not very politically astute.

Luckily for Dems, nobody besides locked in partisans will remember or care in a month, much less in 10 months. Though I guess it's possible they could end up hurting Lamb a bit.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2018, 03:23:53 PM by Arkansas Yankee »

No matter what anyone says, the Democrats caved.

https://mobile.twitter.com/brithume/status/955493962319585281

Moral:   DO NOT VOTE TO SHUTDOWN THE GOVERNMENT FOR ANY REASON!!!  

Even Shephard Smith, Fox News’ in House Democrat, agrees the Democrats caved.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »

Is a split developing in the Democrat Party.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/370124-2020-democrats-vote-against-schumer-deal.

The 2020Democrat possibilities did not like the cave.  Murshed Zaheed, political director of Credo, called Schumer the “worst negotiator in Washington”

What is Credo? Who is Zaheed?

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »

I doubt this will be much of an issue in November (if at all), but it is interesting (though not surprising, obviously) that Sen. Tester was one of 18 Senators who voted “Nay” today.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies