*Puts partisan hat on* What do you think these ads imply to the subconscious (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:33:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  *Puts partisan hat on* What do you think these ads imply to the subconscious (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: *Puts partisan hat on* What do you think these ads imply to the subconscious  (Read 2510 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 16, 2008, 09:20:44 PM »

Obama is soft on terrorism; that's how I'd read it (though I'm not impressed with the linkage).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:46:11 PM »

Obama is soft on terrorism; that's how I'd read it (though I'm not impressed with the linkage).

That's the technical reading, not what the title question asks about the "subconscious."

Mailers on both sides have subtle implications.  The fact that you can't see any beyond the obvious text speaks volumes.

Obama's ads are almost as bad, but less dangerous-sounding?

Sorry, that's what I get out of it.  McCain will protect up, and Obama won't.  I'm not sure what else I'm suppose to get.

More importantly, what's the solution?

Although Mama bear may only want to coddle them and hold them to her breasts and give them a thorough tongue-lashing, Papa bear wanted to string them up and run bamboo shoots under their fingernails till they sung like pigeons.  Maybe you'll run Baby Bear for President in 2012.  Let's see how he does.  Maybe he's just what we need. 

Then again, we live in a society in which the selfish little blonde bitch who breaks into private houses (and steals their food and breaks their chairs) somehow manages to come off as sympathetic.  Admit it, you know you don't want to see her get mauled or eaten by the bears.

I blame the schools.

Smiley  Great post.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »

Yeah, if you ignore the point of the thread, which was to look at the subconscious rather than the literal.

Hey, look at this recent event:
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - A San Bernardino County Republican group has distributed a newsletter picturing Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on a $10 bill adorned with a watermelon, ribs and a bucket of fried chicken.

But I'm sure that's just an event talking about financial discipline and eating habits!  It's easy to see what you want to, what I'm curious about is the underlying message... what someone would get out of it after spending four second glancing at it.  I think if they just red the non-white, non-small text, they would get something scary.

Sorry, but I don't know anyone, other than you, that thinks "Black = terrorism." 

As to your tangent, I'd have to see the material. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:03:01 PM »

Last time I checked, Ayers was not a Muslim name.

I could not find the link to the San Bernardino flyer.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:09:34 PM »

J.J. : Dude, I don't care anymore.  If you can't understand insinuations then whatevsky.  The beauty of Ayers IS that he's white, which removes the obvious racial element from the charge and only leave the subtlety underneath.

When people, a good number of people in the country (Purple heart%), think Obama is a Muslim terrorist, you don't think Obama's name, history, and race have anything to do with it?  It's all about Obama being soft on terrorism?

His name, especially his middle name, yes.  Indonesia, yes, if they know and realize it is the largest Muslim country on the planet (most folks don't).  That Ayers is somehow Muslim or Indonesian, no, I don't see that from the ad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies