Rural Americans felt abandoned by Democrats in 2016, so they abandoned them back (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:55:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Rural Americans felt abandoned by Democrats in 2016, so they abandoned them back (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rural Americans felt abandoned by Democrats in 2016, so they abandoned them back  (Read 5355 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« on: February 09, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »

Who was abandoned? These people just want to be treated as if they are the only people in the country, when that is unrealistic and untrue. Democrats don't need to do much, because these people will come crawling back when they discover that Trump isn't what he said he was.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »

The democratic party did not abandon rural people... rural people are just attracted like a shiny object to the Republican message on guns, ISIS, the wall, and other nonsense that spews out of Trump's mouths, that will do absolutely nothing to provide real world benefit to them.  And now they will lose their health care.  Elections have consequences.

-Only a tiny fraction of Americans will lose healthcare from the repeal and replacement of Obamacare. Might hurt Senate candidates in Kerry states, but won't keep Trump from re-election.

I don't think that's true.  What are you basing that off of?  And what about the pre-existing condition thing... if that's gutted that's going to screw a lot of people.

-I'm strongly opposed to mandated coverage of pre-existing conditions anyway. Raises insurance costs for people without pre-existing conditions. Still not going to have a big electoral impact beyond 2018.

You are sadly mistaken about that. The elimination of pre-existing conditions is the most popular provision and it is effective. With that said, it doesn't look like a repeal will happen anytime soon if at all, so it seems as if the powers that be are aware of the danger of repealing health care.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:25:22 PM »

The democratic party did not abandon rural people... rural people are just attracted like a shiny object to the Republican message on guns, ISIS, the wall, and other nonsense that spews out of Trump's mouths, that will do absolutely nothing to provide real world benefit to them.  And now they will lose their health care.  Elections have consequences.

-Only a tiny fraction of Americans will lose healthcare from the repeal and replacement of Obamacare. Might hurt Senate candidates in Kerry states, but won't keep Trump from re-election.

I don't think that's true.  What are you basing that off of?  And what about the pre-existing condition thing... if that's gutted that's going to screw a lot of people.

-I'm strongly opposed to mandated coverage of pre-existing conditions anyway. Raises insurance costs for people without pre-existing conditions. Still not going to have a big electoral impact beyond 2018.

You are sadly mistaken about that. The elimination of pre-existing conditions is the most popular provision and it is effective. With that said, it doesn't look like a repeal will happen anytime soon if at all, so it seems as if the powers that be are aware of the danger of repealing health care.

-It's frankly nutty. Insurance companies are not welfare agencies.

I didn't say they were, genius. People who pay premiums should be allowed to buy insurance even if they have a pre-existing condition.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »

-It's frankly nutty. Insurance companies are not welfare agencies.

I didn't say they were, genius. People who pay premiums should be allowed to buy insurance even if they have a pre-existing condition.

-Insurance companies should not be forced by the government to cover pre-existing conditions.

It really doesn't hurt the insurance companies much, they are actually getting more premiums because of increased membership. If those people can't get insurance, they just end up in the emergency room and those costs often end up leading back to government. It's not really worth arguing about since it's a settled issue because neither party really wants to bring back barring people from insurance because of pre-existing conditions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies