Favorite Christopher Nolan film
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favorite Christopher Nolan film
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Favorite Christopher Nolan film
Following

Memento

Insomnia

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Inception

The Dark Knight Rises

Interstellar

Dunkirk

Tenet

Oppenheimer

The Prestige

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Favorite Christopher Nolan film  (Read 1520 times)
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2023, 02:02:06 AM »

Inception - Infinitely rewatchable. My mind was blown when I saw it in theaters; I very much have an opinion of the ending (it’s reality, but Cobb doesn’t care). Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack is a masterpiece, especially Dream is Collapsing - I like that more than Time.

The Prestige - watched for the first time this year and was also blown away by the story. I’d need to watch it again, but I don’t think it tops (heh) Inception. I think part of that is precisely because it needs to be rewatched in order for most people to fully understand it (I had an idea of part of the twist, but not the whole thing).

Oppenheimer - Very much a movie that I need to rewatch (I’ve only seen it once in theaters). First impressions are good, but I thought it was a bit slow to gain steam (I wasn’t super fond of the somewhat “psychedelic” visions that were more prominent at the beginning before they broke more into Oppie seeing himself in situations). A 9/10, but I’m not sure if it leans more towards 9.5 or 8.5 at the moment. I am very happy for Cillian Murphy that he got to be the lead in a Nolan movie. He earned it from his previous collaborations and then showed why he earned it. I had read part of American Prometheus, so I had an idea where things went, but didn’t know how it would end for Strauss, which was the best part of the plot in my mind. I did correctly guess how the movie would be portrayed (classic Nolan move, really—telling multiple plots at the same time); I think that he did a really good job of weaving them all together so that things seemed like memories recalled during the trial scenes. In terms of the music (which is an excellent score by Ludwig Göransson), I’m more fond of American Prometheus than Can You Hear the Music.

The Dark Knight Rises - I love the ending of TDKR: I could watch the last 10 minutes of it every week. There’s definitely some issues, but I enjoyed Hathaway as Catwoman and Oldman was once again excellent as Commissioner Gordon. What helped the plot is that there was mostly just the one villain through the movie. One popped up near the end, but felt organic and not split like TDK and BB.

The Dark Knight - not sure what I can say that hasn’t been said about the masterclass that is Heath Ledger’s Joker. He carried the film through the rough patches in the plot. Sometimes this movie seems like multiple movies/plots spliced together and it shows.

Dunkirk - Dunkirk walked so that Oppenheimer could run. I could appreciate how the plots wove together, but it was a bit clunky in some regards. This did feel more organically like one movie despite the multiple plots (in comparison to TDK and BB).

Interstellar - I need to rewatch this, but it’s curious because I’ve had it on disk since the Christmas it came out and haven’t watched it since I saw it in the theater. I think it’s also something of a feel over think movie like Tenet.

Tenet - I will preface this by saying that I didn’t have an issue with hearing the dialogue, at least in my setup (AirPods lol). Somewhat hard to follow at times, but I think it’s much better if you don’t try to fully understand and instead just roll with it.

Batman Begins - Someone’s gotta be last. Not that much of a knock against it, it’s just not my favorite, but I should rewatch it since it’s been a while.

I haven’t seen his first three movies, so I didn’t include them in my rankings.

Side question, has any actor worked with Nolan, Tarantino, and Wes Anderson? I know ScarJo was a Nolan movie and an Anderson movie and that Maya Hawke was in a Tarantino movie and an Anderson movie. Can’t think of any that have done the trifecta though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2023, 05:28:06 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2023, 05:33:14 PM by NUPES Enjoyer »

Just saw Tenet, and I'm both impressed and frustrated by it. It actually pulls off the high-concept, timey-wimey hijinx really well, which is something you almost never see. Clearly a lot of thought and care was put into it, and as always when Nolan puts his mind into a concept he can do wonders with it. I just wish the story itself managed to make me actually care about its own stakes. The time war bullsh*t and doomsday device plot devices are too abstract and played-out to feel invested in, and the characters are so shallow that calling them paper-thin feels like an insult to paper. The only one with something resembling human emotions is Kat, but she's basically just a damsel in distress. Good God, Nolan still needs to learn to write female characters with actual agency. Anyway, I enjoyed it despite everything, but it could have been so much better if Nolan hadn't put all his eggs in the concept basket.

I'd put it definitely below Interstellar and above Batman Begins. I'm not quite sure if I like it better or worse than TDK.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2023, 09:41:19 AM »

Oppenheimer. He was brilliant.

I thought the film was going to be more about the "Atomic Bomb".

I paid $25, and only got one explosion. Robbed.

There are 3 min video's on YouTube with more action. The first half of the film was good, but the interrogation/security clearance part was a snore fest.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2023, 07:22:09 AM »

I have only seen four: The Prestige, Inception, Dunkirk, and Oppenheimer. Probably just recency bias, but I did really like Oppenheimer.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2023, 08:39:40 PM »

Oppenheimer. The Batman trilogy has really not aged well and I'd take 89 over them any day.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2023, 07:12:00 AM »

I have only seen four: The Prestige, Inception, Dunkirk, and Oppenheimer. Probably just recency bias, but I did really like Oppenheimer.
How have you somehow not seen The Dark Knight trilogy?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2023, 09:38:44 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2023, 09:46:36 AM by Filing False Crumpets »

How have you somehow not seen The Dark Knight trilogy?

Superhero movies have just never been my thing. I was on a long distance bus ride once where The Dark Knight was playing, but you had to ask for headphones to listen in, and I just listened to my own music instead. I didn't see anything to really make me interested in watching it again with sound. I did see Joker, though, as well as the Lego Batman Movie, so those two comprise all Batman lore in my mind.

Fwiw, I've also never seen any of the Avengers movies, and the only Marvel movies I've seen were the first two Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies