More than half of gun-related deaths in the U.S. are suicides
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:55:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  More than half of gun-related deaths in the U.S. are suicides
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More than half of gun-related deaths in the U.S. are suicides  (Read 472 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2023, 05:29:08 PM »

Mass shootings may garner the most attention, but suicides account for most gun deaths in America. Catherine Barber, a researcher at Harvard Injury Control Research Center, says once people recognize suicide as the most common form of gun violence, they're better positioned to protect against the risk: they can check for warning signs and remove the means for impulsive actions.
Studies of those who attempt suicide and survive indicate the decision to take one's own life doesn't always involve lengthy planning. One study of participants who survived an attempt found that half of them considered it for less then 10 minutes. Barber stresses that such attempts are often preceded by long battles with depression or another mental health concern. She wants to remove the ability of people who have been struggling long-term to act on a short-term feeling.
Russell rejects the argument that guns aren't a major contributor to suicide. "There's very little turning back when you use a gun." He believes that working toward safer gun policies will help avert similar tragedies. "Guns make temporary problems terminal."

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/28/1172478320/one-way-to-prevent-suicides-limit-access-to-guns
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 05:38:05 PM »

This isn’t new
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 05:46:46 PM »

As much as I obviously detest guns and gun ownership, adding more restrictions wouldn't do a great deal to help reduce suicide rates.

South Korea has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world, but the majority of methods used are poisoning (by pesticides or carbon monoxide), hanging, or jumping off high buildings or bridges.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 05:52:37 PM »

Using suicide statistics to argue for gun restrictions greatly weakens the entire argument and feeds into the notion that these laws are to 'protect you from yourself' rather than addressing a public safety issue
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 07:35:49 PM »

does anyone really expect that not to be the case when this world just gets worse and worse every day ?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 08:26:11 PM »

It's new for some of us. And it's probably a good idea to keep reminding us of this fact. And what can we do about it.... It's obviously a problem that needs addressing.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 10:06:55 PM »

All the more reason to have a more rigorous vetting process when getting a gun. I'm generally softly pro-gun but I do think it's in the best interest of everyone to prevent people from obtaining guns for this reason. Needless deaths.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 10:38:28 PM »

The gun deaths in the USA in the first third of the year are as follows:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

These data include deaths from 'other people' and 'suicide'. As of April 28. 2023, yearly stats reveal:

Gun Death by Suicide: 7,788 (57.1%)
Homicide/Murder/Accident: 5,847 (42.9%)

Other anomalies include:

1. Wyoming has two gun deaths for the entire year;
2. Eastern half of the USA has much more gun violence resulting in death;
3. The gun violence in Washington State and Oregon forms a linear correlation with subsurface magmatic activity of the Cascadian Volcanic Arc.

Volcanic centres associated with the Cascadian Arc.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 02:15:49 AM »

You've nearly just posted a population map.

Maybe South Carolina's number of incidents appears high, but no conclusions can be drawn from that.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 02:50:05 AM »

Guns are the American MAiD
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 06:19:21 AM »

I found out that you can survive the initial bullet and becime permanently blind when you commit such a silly act

There is no definite way unless GOD calls you home, unless you are killed by someone else or you get your head chopped off or the state lethal injection that's how you will be called home

HIV and CANCER doesn't kill you initially it hides in your immune system and slowly kills T Cells but Chemo and Meds can kill the mutation
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 10:22:49 AM »

As much as I obviously detest guns and gun ownership, adding more restrictions wouldn't do a great deal to help reduce suicide rates.

I don't know, research suggests that removing a quick and easy means to commit suicide does reduce the suicide rate. Fot example, people have scoffed suicide nets on bridges because people would just find another method, but that does not appear to be the case. Also, when England changed its gas system so that it wasn't super easy, fast and painless to kill yourself by sticking your head in an oven, the suicide rate dropped noticeably rather than shifting to more difficult methods. Freakonomics (I think it was the podcast) did a really interesting dive into these numbers.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 11:45:00 AM »

Just a comment, the fact that death by suicide has such high numbers is as astounding to me as the fact that there are more guns than people in our country. Both facts are mind-blowing, and yet we allow the situations to continue. I guess we gotta have our guns.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 12:16:16 PM »

Other anomalies include:

1. Wyoming has two gun deaths for the entire year;

Anomaly: nobody dies in a state where nobody lives
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 01:01:18 PM »

You've nearly just posted a population map.

Maybe South Carolina's number of incidents appears high, but no conclusions can be drawn from that.
I am assuming he is memeing, I hope he is memeing.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 05:01:14 PM »

3. The gun violence in Washington State and Oregon forms a linear correlation with subsurface magmatic activity of the Cascadian Volcanic Arc.

future headline: "govt declares war on volcanoes to reduce gun violence"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 03:28:04 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2023, 08:48:59 PM by Joe Republic »

I don't know, research suggests that removing a quick and easy means to commit suicide does reduce the suicide rate. Fot example, people have scoffed suicide nets on bridges because people would just find another method, but that does not appear to be the case. Also, when England changed its gas system so that it wasn't super easy, fast and painless to kill yourself by sticking your head in an oven, the suicide rate dropped noticeably rather than shifting to more difficult methods. Freakonomics (I think it was the podcast) did a really interesting dive into these numbers.

I do get that, and I'm on record as arguing that a home with no gun in it is safer all round than one with.  However, in my own home (which obviously has no guns in it) I can count about five alternative quick and easy suicide methods, were I so inclined.  I'm sure there are more if I wanted to get creative.

The argument from the pro-gun crowd that "take away guns and the criminals will just find other weapons to kill the same number of people" has never really held much water, but when discussing suicide rates and methods, in this case it rather does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies