The worst case scenario if trump loses: GOP reverts back to 1996-2012 platform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:18:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The worst case scenario if trump loses: GOP reverts back to 1996-2012 platform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The worst case scenario if trump loses: GOP reverts back to 1996-2012 platform  (Read 2597 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« on: October 09, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »

No, not a  defense of trump thread

But there seems to be a sentiment growing among nevertrumpers that the the gop was in fine shape before trump and he came in and destroyed it. Obviously a bananas claim looking at election results in 2008,12,16

My worry is that the gop goes back to its just as unappealing platform it had before trump, unpopular in a different way from trump. Basically, the same people who controlled the party from 1996-2012  reassert their dominance

This platform will lose elections, but instead of looking in the mirror, they will blame trump over and over again with each loss. “He left a stench for decades”

In other words, they will use trump as an excuse/scapegoat for every loss

I think this is actually a likely scenario.

I don’t want this party to go back to worshipping at the altar of international free marketism as a cure for everything and being a fan of interventionism everywhere.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 11:51:04 PM »

Again, other than the top 5% and the right-wing Christians (i.e. the whites), there's little appeal for the party.

And this was a problem before trump. Actually, if anything, he brought in MORE middle and lower class support, and bled support from the rich.

But my point is this: abandoning trump is not a cure or even a remote fix.

Ben Shapiro's platform, Mitt Romney's platform, John McCain's platform, etc.....was horridly unappealing.

My main worry is that these same people retake control and the GOP loses a bunch of WWC support.

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:29:43 AM »

I think you could see a throwback to the "Compassionate Conservatism" of  2000 George W. Bush after a 2020 Trump loss, but I think, unless the Incumbent Democrat is THAT bad, it'll fall flat. After that, I can honestly see a Dewey/Eisenhower type Republican party making a comeback after 8-12 years in the wilderness.

George Bush's platform and electoral success was overrated. Lost the popular vote to robot al gore, despite voter fatigue.

Barely won re-election in 2004 despite high levels of patriotism, mediocre D nominee,  and high marks for handling of 9/11, not to mention decent economy.

I don't think the GOP should listen to anyone involved in the party from 1992-2012.

Needs to find a way to blend the working class voters trump brought in with a higher share of the urban/suburban/cosmopolitan vote.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies