Question for those who remember the early 1990's (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:43:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Question for those who remember the early 1990's (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for those who remember the early 1990's  (Read 4698 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 23, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »

Sport, especially professional sport, is more "manly" than even the military.  Locker rooms are notoriously bigoted places...I don't see it happening with an active player anytime soon.  My guess is it will be broken by an already out college....ahem...."stud" that some forward thinking team or another will take because the guy is just so talented.  My guess is the NFL breaks it first.  Followed by baseball and the NHL.  But I hate the NBA so my biases may be at play here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:29:57 AM »

I don't think it's anything to do with 'manliness' per say; sport is all about signings, sales and sponsorship so there's misplaced concern over the monetary value of an outed player. It's really all an 'Emperors new clothes' scenario; people think that teams care, managers care and the public care more than they actually do.
It's not those people that the gay athlete is worried about, at least not first and foremost.  It's his fellow aggressively male athletes that he is worried about.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »

Isn't the lesson that having bigots on the team is bad for team cohesion?
If no bigot could be on a sports team American sports would not exist.
FTFY
and has his OS set to look like Windows 95, as I recall.
What's wrong with that?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:45:58 AM »

My guess is the NFL breaks it first.  Followed by baseball and the NHL.  But I hate the NBA so my biases may be at play here.

I've always thought baseball would be first.
Maybe, but football players seem to be a little more open minded than baseball players (yes, that is a low bar)....something to do with them spending time at college whereas baseball players don't tend to go to college and spend more time in a more closed, ....ahem..."closeted" environment.  Granted, most top football athletes in college live a fairly segregated, non-typical college life, but still, they are much more likely to run into "out" people than the other 3 major American pro sports athletes.

I reckon it won't happen anywhere anytime soon, but I hope I'm wrong.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies