House Vote on Syria: Obama Could Lose Big (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:02:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Vote on Syria: Obama Could Lose Big (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House Vote on Syria: Obama Could Lose Big  (Read 1459 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: September 07, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »

I hope this does go down in a decisive defeat. If the President goes ahead after Congress has refused authorization, I'm actually one to believe he will have committed an impeachable offense (and I'm someone who voted to reelect and has otherwise supported this President). Without Congressional approval, the President does not have power to authorize an attack on Syria.

But why apply a different standard to Obama than other presidents? Clinton had no authorization for Kosovo or Iraq, HW had none for Panama, Reagan none for Libya or Grenada. I expect the House would probably impeach him if only to help their fundraising, but when the GOP tried against Clinton, the backlash led to the extremely rare case of president gaining House seats in his second midterm.

The difference is that Clinton's media team successfully portrayed it as being about Clinton's sex life and not his breaking the law by lying under oath.

It would be kind of hard for Obama's people to effect the same result in this circumstance. What I am sure of is that the Democrats would force their people to stay loyal through the fundraising and thereby kill it that way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies