Hallelujah! The Supreme Court is now saved..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:54:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hallelujah! The Supreme Court is now saved..........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hallelujah! The Supreme Court is now saved..........  (Read 1770 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »

This is why I voted for Trump. 
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »

The judges of any supreme court should not be chosen on the basis of their ideology. The constitution represents all citizens, not just one group.
Judges have the right to have their political tendencies, that's perfectly natural, but it should not be an impediment to approve or pass laws in a rational, fair and practical manner.
I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but I seriously doubt most of your party would have that sentiment if it were Clinton with a Democratic Senate taking office in January.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »

The judges of any supreme court should not be chosen on the basis of their ideology. The constitution represents all citizens, not just one group.
Judges have the right to have their political tendencies, that's perfectly natural, but it should not be an impediment to approve or pass laws in a rational, fair and practical manner.
I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but I seriously doubt most of your party would have that sentiment if it were Clinton with a Democratic Senate taking office in January.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »

Absolutly true! The Supreme Court and the minimum hage were one of the few things that i disagreed with Hillary Clinton and the Democrats. Like i said in that post, i think both parties should negociate and choose judges between them, so we can have a balance in the court. Not an extreme bias to one side or the other.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »

Better stock up on coat hangers.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:20 PM »

Do you think they will have Breaking Bad with abortion in the future?

But it seems that if Roe is even in any danger, a lot of purple and blue states might put pro-choice referendums on the ballot to drive up turnout.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »

This just shows that Republicans can play dirty and get away with it. Plenty of nominees have been confirmed in the President's final year of office. When it looked like Hillary was going to win, Republicans changed from saying "the next president should decide" to saying that seat should be vacant for 5 years, or however long until a Republican president. Pure hypocrisy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 03:34:51 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2016, 03:36:33 AM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Great job republicans, you ensured that no president would be able to nominate a judge in the last year of his presidency if the Senate was controlled by the opposing party

But the Democrats would have done the exact same thing if they controlled the Senate and a Republican President in the last year of his administration nominated a conservative judge to fill a vacancy on the Supreme Court.

Of that I have no doubt.

Maybe, but more likely the payback is that the next time they control everything, the Dems just add seats 10-13.  Frankly, I don't see how you can de-escalate the SCOTUS fight at this point.

Democrats blocked a ton of Bush appointments to the Appeals and District courts on the assumption they would win in 2008 and guess what they did. Republicans then picked up the blocking until the change in the filibuster allowing Reid to then send a crap ton of these Obama appointees through the Senate in early 2013.

Pull up that thread about Obama's legacy referring to how he got a record number of lower court appointees confirmed leaving a lasting legacy on the courts. He would not have had nearly as many if Tom Daschle and Harry Reid didn't load the bases for him to hit that home run by denying confirmation to Bush's choices. The simple fact of the matter is that Democrats have had blood on their hands since the Bush years when it comes to obstruction of the opposing President's judicial appointments.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2016, 03:41:46 AM »

Oh yes, the Supreme Court is saved for conservatives because

1) We are assured all these people will retire in the next four years

2) We are assured justices will always vote the way that is expected of them.

No.. nothing is assured.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2016, 03:43:24 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2016, 03:45:58 AM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Trump will nominate people like Chris Christie, this isn't going to be good for Conservatives or Libertarians.

I think he will defer to Jeff Sessions, Mike Pence and the record 81% of Evangelicals Trump received on the ideology and Ivanka on it being a women. Also he mentioned two names right after Scalia died, both were conservatives, only one of them is a women.

So my money is on us getting Associate Justice Sykes, as it has been since February.

She is highly qualified, a conservative and from a state key to Trump's win.

It would also stick it to her ex-husband, Wisconsin's NeverTrump radio host, Charlie Sykes. So even by that kind metric, she has to be the front runner.

Also, Christie just got sidelined by Mike Pence on the transition team.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies