UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:42:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 292419 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« on: January 10, 2020, 01:04:42 PM »

Samira Ahmed wins sex discrimination equal pay claim against BBC
Samira Ahmed has won a sex discrimination pay claim against the BBC in a landmark case that leaves the BBC facing the prospect of a huge bill for similar claims.

In a judgment published on Friday, after the tribunal ended in early November, judges were damning of the broadcaster’s argument that Ahmed’s job as presenter of the audience feedback show Newswatch was significantly different to Jeremy Vine’s as a presenter of Points of View.

Ahmed had argued she was owed almost £700,000 in back pay because of the difference between her £440-an-episode rate and the £3,000 an episode Vine received.

The judges dismissed the BBC’s argument that Points of View required a “cheeky” presenter with a “glint in the eye”, concluding that there were only “minor differences” on the work the pair did presenting the two comparable programmes.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »

Well there is a major protest march to free Assange in London
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »

Ministers plan to give more UK public bodies power to hack phones
Ministers want to expand the scope of UK surveillance laws to give more public authorities – including a pensions watchdog and the Environment Agency – the power to hack phones and computers.

Five additional public bodies are to be allowed to obtain communications data under the Investigatory Powers Act – frequently dubbed the snooper’s charter – as they are “increasingly unable to rely on local police forces to investigate crimes on their behalf”, according to documents published by the government.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »

government reported to be dropping gender self-identifying plans
Boris Johnson is set to scrap plans to allow people to change their legal gender by “self-identifying” as male or female, it has been reported.

Measures drawn up under Theresa May’s government to enable transgender people to change their birth certificate without a medical diagnosis have been ditched by the prime minister’s team, according to the Sunday Times.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:23:49 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering when Labor would start shafting Momentum to the sidelines. Wouldn’t think they’d do it over this though, but I guess they needed to show that the era of international solidarity being apart of the Labour platform is over.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 11:09:55 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 11:16:48 AM by PSOL »

Yeah, I was wondering when Labor would start shafting Momentum to the sidelines. Wouldn’t think they’d do it over this though, but I guess they needed to show that the era of international solidarity being apart of the Labour platform is over.

International solidarity against Jews isn't tolerated, yes.

The dismissals of this being an antisemitic theory are wholly unsurprising and frankly a bit funny- they sound exactly like the refusal of many on the left to accept that Corbyn and his thugs promoted antisemitism. The exact same rhetoric. If ya'll want to continue down that path, be my guests, but reality continues to contradict the apologists.
Except the story is true, there have been cases of Israeli and American police forces training together.

Edit: and no one should have solidarity with a Settler-Colonial, segregationist state. There’s a reason why the only people supporting that mess are people invested in military R&D and neofascistic parties. This handwaiving of that fact repeatedly is annoying already. You look like an English South African apologist who doesn’t ever have enough tact to actually reform the state from its current position, even just to maintain it long-term.

Anyway, I have no doubt that with media and institutional support, Starmer will sideline momentum easily. No one in power wants Labour to return to being a genuine working class party again.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »

I've thought for a few months that we appear to be in the early stages of a divorce between the Labour Party and 'Left Culture'. I suspect both parties will be better off apart, but it is going to be messy.
That would turn the Labour Party into something more resembling the German SPD then, only in this case they won’t do as badly electorally due to FPTP and never entering a coalition with the Tories like the SPD does with the CDU.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 10:57:11 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/06/c-of-e-bishops-should-lose-responsibility-for-safeguarding-children-says-inquiry
A damning report from the independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA), published on Tuesday, said the C of E’s culture of deference and “clericalism” meant it was a place where abusers could hide.

But it stopped short of backing two key demands of survivors: mandatory reporting of abuse disclosures to statutory authorities and independent oversight of the C of E’s safeguarding policies and actions. It will consider these issues further in a future report.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 12:34:03 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2020, 01:02:38 AM by PSOL »

So is a purge or a mass desertion of Momentum from the Labor Party going to happen or not?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 08:56:11 PM »

So in me thinking exactly how Labour could win parliament. I don’t see any possible way without getting pressed Unionist voters, somewhat similar to how PSOE got and maintains their government in Spain. Only that sort of maximizes the gains of the factional battle in Labour.

Is there any indication that Labour is trying to attract these voters in England, Wales, N. Ireland, and critically Scotland—where Labour’s possible electorate got eaten up by SNP and unionists went to the Tories? Would such a strategy be viable?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 12:08:17 AM »

So in me thinking exactly how Labour could win parliament. I don’t see any possible way without getting pressed Unionist voters, somewhat similar to how PSOE got and maintains their government in Spain. Only that sort of maximizes the gains of the factional battle in Labour.

Is there any indication that Labour is trying to attract these voters in England, Wales, N. Ireland, and critically Scotland—where Labour’s possible electorate got eaten up by SNP and unionists went to the Tories? Would such a strategy be viable?

What do you mean by pressed Unionist voters in England and Wales? I understand Scotland, which is always going to be tricky so long as the constitution is the main issue. Labour don't run candidates in Northern Ireland, btw. I'm no expert on Spanish politics, so you'll have to explain the comparison.
As I understand it, PSOE gained national and regional seats by those against separatist parties in hopes that it wouldn’t break apart Spain.

Well for example, the Tories did very well in the bordering regions of England because they’re closest to  England economically and culturally, for them splitting is a bad bet. Can Labour continue to win unionist votes in Scotland? What about moderate unionists in England?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 03:00:59 PM »

What are these rumors that Corbyn might start his own party if not given back the whip?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies