Which party would other countries vote for? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:07:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which party would other countries vote for? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which party would other countries vote for?  (Read 3479 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »

The Republicans probably wouldn't win any European countries but they wouldn't be quite as fringe as many seem to believe, take for example the fact that when John McCain was holding a Senate hearing for Obama's appointment to be ambassador to Norway he asked some questions that implied strong disapproval of the Progress Party, which was in government and for awhile was even the largest right wing party in Norway. The guy's bungling of the questions got more press, but regardless you have the party's 2008 candidate condemning a mainstream right wing party as too extreme.

The real reason the Republicans couldn't exist in any other country is they are too big and diverse. For example it's not too difficult to see both Merkel-esque asuterity forcing neoliberal supporters and anti-EU UKIP types as Republicans in the US and you can think of plenty of examples of Republicans that would be both, but both clearly can't be in the same party if those were the issues. The same is also true of the Democrats, who are probably the most ideologically diverse party in the world aside from parties that are really just essentially ideology-less political machines.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »

Not Atlas Colors

England: blue
Canada: purple
Mexico: blue
India: red at first, descend into purple
Australia: red
Japan: blue by mistake
Russia: red. I'm so punny

Any others?
Australia is very conservative.

EDIT: Just saw what you said at the top.

I think Mexico would vote Republican out of social conservatism.

Australia is not very conservative in the American sense. It's pretty conservative compared to other Western nations though. It's one of the few country's where the Republicans could be a serious party.

As for Mexico, they already have a local version of the Republican Party and it's never come anywhere close to a majority (although it has won a plurality in the past).
In its current state, it is, especially with the Abbott led government. But, what do I know, I just lived there.

Ah, I stand corrected there.

The last election was about 53.5% for the Liberal/National coalition vs. 46.5% for the ALP. Even with 90% of the Liberal/National voters, the Republicans still lose.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »

Not Atlas Colors

England: blue
Canada: purple
Mexico: blue
India: red at first, descend into purple
Australia: red
Japan: blue by mistake
Russia: red. I'm so punny

Any others?
Australia is very conservative.

EDIT: Just saw what you said at the top.

I think Mexico would vote Republican out of social conservatism.

Australia is not very conservative in the American sense. It's pretty conservative compared to other Western nations though. It's one of the few country's where the Republicans could be a serious party.

As for Mexico, they already have a local version of the Republican Party and it's never come anywhere close to a majority (although it has won a plurality in the past).
In its current state, it is, especially with the Abbott led government. But, what do I know, I just lived there.

Ah, I stand corrected there.

The last election was about 53.5% for the Liberal/National coalition vs. 46.5% for the ALP. Even with 90% of the Liberal/National voters, the Republicans still lose.
The Liberal Coalition won so the Republicans would lose? Que?

No the point is they didn't win by all that wide of a margin. And they lost the last two elections, even if not hugely. But the ALP candidates were also not all that appealing.

Let's just put it this way, what percentage of the Coalition voters do you think would vote Republican? Obviously if it's 100% then they win. But I don't think it's a stretch to say there's enough people in places like affluent north Sydney suburbs that wouldn't stick with the Republicans. Remember it doesn't even have to be a majority or even close, if the Coalition loses even 10% of their voters, then they lose the last election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies