Debate: Should abortion be legal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:31:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Debate: Should abortion be legal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Debate: Should abortion be legal?  (Read 3639 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: April 09, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »

I will say i am unsettled by the demands by American liberals to make abortion legal at any time for any reason. It's just weird - it's not like there is a huge horde of psycho women that declare they want abortion at 8 and a half months for fun - third trimester abortions are only for medical reasons so there is really no reason to even leave the potential for non-viable late abortions open.

Basically the pro choice side don't focus enough on a universal  and cheap access to early abortions (ignoring that many rural areas now have no clinics at all). That's the most important issue - if the left was forced to swallow waiting restrictions AND mandatory counselling AND a twenty week ban AND ultrasounds I'd consider it a worthy deal if you managed to get the GOP to agree that a first trimester abortion is a right.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »

anyways. there's no case in which a person has a right to use another person's body without their consent, regardless of how lifesaving it might be. why on earth should fœtuses/embryos have more rights than already-born people?

How is that any different from a newborn? If anything a newborn baby makes more demands on other people than an unborn one.

and people have the right to give newborns up for adoption. or do you want to take that away too?

I would argue that, by having sex, the woman already consented to having a baby (that's the real purpose of sex, after all.  In the extremely rare case of a pregnancy resulting from rape, I would say that pregnancy is temporary, and the right to life for the baby supersedes (though, the rapist should have to pay some financial penalty to the woman to help the raising of the child).

Yes, well you're bonkers.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »

anyways. there's no case in which a person has a right to use another person's body without their consent, regardless of how lifesaving it might be. why on earth should fœtuses/embryos have more rights than already-born people?

How is that any different from a newborn? If anything a newborn baby makes more demands on other people than an unborn one.

and people have the right to give newborns up for adoption. or do you want to take that away too?

I would argue that, by having sex, the woman already consented to having a baby (that's the real purpose of sex, after all.  In the extremely rare case of a pregnancy resulting from rape, I would say that pregnancy is temporary, and the right to life for the baby supersedes (though, the rapist should have to pay some financial penalty to the woman to help the raising of the child).

Yes, well you're bonkers.

Well argued.

It's as you said in this very thread - there is no point debating with the absurd self-caricatures of the pro-choice side, so why bother with their equivalent on the pro-life side?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies