COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:27:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 267534 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: April 23, 2020, 11:48:30 AM »

This model doesn't take into account anything about how we have observed COVID-19 actually spreading thus far or environmental factors (like warmer weather, less reliance on public transit, etc.) that favor the South.  Urban areas have higher infection rates despite doing relatively more social distancing, and I don't expect that to change once things start gradually opening back up.

What are your thoughts on Georgia reopening tomorrow? Even Trump has said that he disagrees with that decision, and in my view, it is reckless. Sure, the South may have factors that work to its favor, but nothing can be taken for granted, and there should be at least some precautions in place when reopening the economy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #501 on: April 23, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »

He hires the best people.

I had to read this article just to see if maybe there was more to it and maybe the guy had some at least tangible background in public health prior to raising Labradoodles. Nope. When Azar was a deputy secretary of HHS way back in 2006, this dude worked as his confidential assistant, whatever that means, for one year. He spent 2012 through 18 breeding labradoodles. And now he's heading up the response to the coronavirus within HHS.

Un-freakin'-believable. This is what happens when you have a mindset that all government spending outside the Pentagon is BS, so the least you can do is promote your family and friends because, who's going to be really harmed by poor government service anyway? This is exactly the spirit we saw when Bush appointed his buddy, heck of a job brownie, to head FEMA, when his prior work experience was being president of the American Quarter Horse Association, from which he was fired!

I guess one can still support Trump if one assumes that coronavirus is still blown vastly out of proportion so having a grossly unqualified crony to the former healthcare industry lobbyist running the department is an okay sacrifice rather than seeing (gasp!) A democrat in the White House.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #502 on: April 23, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »

The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office (800,000 people; 10% of WA's population) has decided to stop enforcing Gov. Inslee's stay-at-home order.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #503 on: April 23, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »

This is an unnecessary smear against the high standing US Labradoodle Breeding community, viewed around the global as the premier source of Labradoodles.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/special-report-former-labradoodle-breeder-tapped-to-lead-u.s.-pandemic-task-force-2020-04

"Before joining the Trump Administration in January 2018, Harrison’s official HHS biography says, he “ran a small business in Texas.” The biography does not disclose the name or nature of that business, but his personal financial disclosure forms show that from 2012 until 2018 he ran a company called Dallas Labradoodles.

The company sells Australian Labradoodles, a breed that is a cross between a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle. He sold it in April 2018, his financial disclosure form said. HHS emailed Reuters that the sales price was $225,000."

What? No Aussie Labradoodles in my neighbourhood.

Labradoodle lives matter!
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #504 on: April 23, 2020, 12:08:06 PM »

He hires the best people.

I had to read this article just to see if maybe there was more to it and maybe the guy had some at least tangible background in public health prior to raising Labradoodles. Nope. When Azar was a deputy secretary of HHS way back in 2006, this dude worked as his confidential assistant, whatever that means, for one year. He spent 2012 through 18 breeding labradoodles. And now he's heading up the response to the coronavirus within HHS.

Un-freakin'-believable. This is what happens when you have a mindset that all government spending outside the Pentagon is BS, so the least you can do is promote your family and friends because, who's going to be really harmed by poor government service anyway? This is exactly the spirit we saw when Bush appointed his buddy, heck of a job brownie, to head FEMA, when his prior work experience was being president of the American Quarter Horse Association, from which he was fired!

I guess one can still support Trump if one assumes that coronavirus is still blown vastly out of proportion so having a grossly unqualified crony to the former healthcare industry lobbyist running the department is an okay sacrifice rather than seeing (gasp!) A democrat in the White House.

Demote one of the world's leading experts in vaccines but promote a breeder to important leadership in a scientific agency.

Heck of job Brownie indeed...
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #505 on: April 23, 2020, 12:09:21 PM »

Idaho governor Brad Little has announced that the state will reopen some businesses over time in-line with other states and has formed a "economic advisory rebound committee." A website, rebound.idaho.gov, will track Idaho's progress in reopening its economy.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #506 on: April 23, 2020, 12:14:40 PM »

Gilead's coronavirus drug flops in first trial - FT

https://news.trust.org/item/20200423162137-vgafb
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #507 on: April 23, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »

This model doesn't take into account anything about how we have observed COVID-19 actually spreading thus far or environmental factors (like warmer weather, less reliance on public transit, etc.) that favor the South.  Urban areas have higher infection rates despite doing relatively more social distancing, and I don't expect that to change once things start gradually opening back up.

What are your thoughts on Georgia reopening tomorrow? Even Trump has said that he disagrees with that decision, and in my view, it is reckless. Sure, the South may have factors that work to its favor, but nothing can be taken for granted, and there should be at least some precautions in place when reopening the economy.

I think something's got to give in regards to the stay-at-home restrictions.  Georgia appears to be blazing a trail, but the relaxations are more measured then what is being reported in the media.  I don't see it as any less controlled than Colorado's phased-in reopening on April 26.  The most important aspect of Kemp's plan, IMO, is allowing hospitals to resume elective procedures (i.e., like hip replacement surgeries) with is going to help immensely with severe financial bleeding hospitals are seeing due to the cessation of most outpatient procedures. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #508 on: April 23, 2020, 12:16:41 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 12:24:49 PM by PQG and Libertarian Republican will pimp slap Coronavirus! »

Latest update to my firms efforts to get funding to get us through. We're doing reasonably well, amazingly enough, due to having laid off most of our staff. The amount of work I have I had assumed would run out by the end of the week for about 3 weeks now. However, I think this week might be it.

We were approved for a significant SBA loan, but the key word here is loan. This is not a PPP loan which can be forgiven and covers payroll, rent, health insurance, and one other major thing I can't remember. Our application for a PPP Grant was, I kid you not, lost by the SBA we discovered yesterday. It was all so infuriating to learn that apparently since the SBA was receiving 800 applications per hour, the bank's merely cherry-picked the biggest companies to Grant loans to. So small firms like mine got screwed, while taxpayer dollars went to places like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Small business support indeed!

Anyway, Congress apparently appropriated more money for the program yesterday so we are back in line for a grant ( or as Mister reactionary blithely refers to it "welfare checks". Roll Eyes Awfully cheeky coming from a guy whose paycheck is entirely taxpayer-funded). In the meantime my wife and I may very well have to apply for unemployment this weekend. :Sad

Latest update, and it goes from bad to nearly Kafkaesque. While we are awaiting our PPP loan to (hopefully) go through, I decided that I and my wife, who is also my firm's office manager, have to bite the bullet and file for unemployment effective this coming Monday. Sad I tried to do so about an hour ago. I have a preexisting account from about four years ago when I briefly collected unemployment for several weeks after being laid off by a government office. It turned out quite for the best as it gave me the impetus to finally go back to Private Practice.

Anyway, I obviously can't remember what my PIN number from four years ago was, and after one attempt and receiving the message that if I unsuccessfully try two more times I'd be locked out of my account, I clicked the link for forgot PIN. The link requested my name, and then requested me to enter my social security number. I did, and and after a few seconds of the rotating circlr icon showing the computer was thinking, it instructed me to retry I did this three times and received a message that it couldn't go through it this time and to call the following toll free number for assistance. I called the number, and after entering my social was given an automated message that call volume is so large right now that I need to call back later. I repeated this entire cycle four times with the same result.

Thus I can't apply for unemployment by phone, nor can I do it online, nor am I permitted to do so in person. F*** this world.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #509 on: April 23, 2020, 12:26:35 PM »

Gilead currently saying the WHO mischaracterized the report, saying "Importantly, because this study was terminated early due to low enrolment, it was underpowered to enable statistically meaningful conclusions," it said. "As such, the study results are inconclusive, though trends in the data suggest a potential benefit for remdesivir, particularly among patients treated early in disease.".
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #510 on: April 23, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #511 on: April 23, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »

I think something's got to give in regards to the stay-at-home restrictions.  Georgia appears to be blazing a trail, but the relaxations are more measured then what is being reported in the media. I don't see it as any less controlled than Colorado's phased-in reopening on April 26.  The most important aspect of Kemp's plan, IMO, is allowing hospitals to resume elective procedures (i.e., like hip replacement surgeries) with is going to help immensely with severe financial bleeding hospitals are seeing due to the cessation of most outpatient procedures. 
Don’t you remember?
When Kemp does it, it’s a mass murder, but when Polis does it, it’s just responsible reopening.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #512 on: April 23, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »

I think something's got to give in regards to the stay-at-home restrictions.  Georgia appears to be blazing a trail, but the relaxations are more measured then what is being reported in the media. I don't see it as any less controlled than Colorado's phased-in reopening on April 26.  The most important aspect of Kemp's plan, IMO, is allowing hospitals to resume elective procedures (i.e., like hip replacement surgeries) with is going to help immensely with severe financial bleeding hospitals are seeing due to the cessation of most outpatient procedures. 
Don’t you remember?
When Kemp does it, it’s a mass murder, but when Polis does it, it’s just responsible reopening.

It is more than reasonable 2 have significantly greater suspicion of the motives and judgment of such decisions made by leaders who openly scoffed at and downplayed the outbreak from day one, as opposed to those who took the matter seriously and enacted prompt responsible shut down measures.

I admittedly am skeptical of reopening hair salons and tattoo parlors this early, and I'm not yet willing to say Polis is making the right decision here. However, it is not unreasonable to trust someone like Kemp significantly less when his entire record and rhetoric the last several weeks have shown consistently poor leadership and foresight.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #513 on: April 23, 2020, 12:55:34 PM »

I think something's got to give in regards to the stay-at-home restrictions.  Georgia appears to be blazing a trail, but the relaxations are more measured then what is being reported in the media.  I don't see it as any less controlled than Colorado's phased-in reopening on April 26.  The most important aspect of Kemp's plan, IMO, is allowing hospitals to resume elective procedures (i.e., like hip replacement surgeries) with is going to help immensely with severe financial bleeding hospitals are seeing due to the cessation of most outpatient procedures. 

As I've said, I certainly don't think the restrictions should continue beyond June, and I think action does need to be taken to reopen the economy. But there are always the risks inherent with opening too early, and a majority of Americans have expressed their fear in this regard, that a hasty reopening might do more damage than if it were deferred. However, I will agree that hospitals should be allowed to resume elective procedures.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #514 on: April 23, 2020, 01:01:41 PM »

Don’t you remember?

It is more than reasonable 2 have significantly greater suspicion of the motives and judgment of such decisions made by leaders who openly scoffed at and downplayed the outbreak from day one, as opposed to those who took the matter seriously and enacted prompt responsible shut down measures.

I admittedly am skeptical of reopening hair salons and tattoo parlors this early, and I'm not yet willing to say Polis is making the right decision here. However, it is not unreasonable to trust someone like Kemp significantly less when his entire record and rhetoric the last several weeks have shown consistently poor leadership and foresight.
I judge leaders by their actions, and currently, both Polis and Kemp are taking dangerous actions given the circumstances in their states. I would like to add that I honestly don’t really trust Jared Polis that much. I mean, I trust him more than Kemp, but that is basically a battle of minimal trust vs zero trust. He seems like the exact type of man who would willingly sacrifice the lives of Coloradans for his own stock portfolio.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2020, 01:07:27 PM »

Scientists investigate possible positive effects of nicotine. It is being assumed that nicotine somehow (clinging onto the receptors the virus needs) has a positive shielding effect against the virus.  

https://m.oe24.at/coronavirus/Coronavirus-Wissenschafter-vermuten-positive-Wirkung-von-Nikotin/427320386

Obviously testing will be done with patches, not cigarettes.

The reason for the theory is that so far smokers have 80% lower infection rates than the General population.

I was an occasional smoker for several years (cigars only, not cigarettes) but quit a little over a year ago when my wife got pregnant. 

But I’ve relapsed a few times the last few weeks out of stress and boredom.  Now I have a good excuse!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »

I think something's got to give in regards to the stay-at-home restrictions.  Georgia appears to be blazing a trail, but the relaxations are more measured then what is being reported in the media. I don't see it as any less controlled than Colorado's phased-in reopening on April 26. The most important aspect of Kemp's plan, IMO, is allowing hospitals to resume elective procedures (i.e., like hip replacement surgeries) with is going to help immensely with severe financial bleeding hospitals are seeing due to the cessation of most outpatient procedures. 
Don’t you remember?

Can you just admit that you're letting partisan considerations color your evaluation of how governors have been responding to this crisis?  Georgia hasn't seen any considerable growth in new cases in almost two weeks and has done approximately twice as many tests as Colorado.  The "motivations" of the governors in question don't change these facts.  Georgia is one of the states best-positioned to responsibly reopen, at this point.

As a small business owner, I also figured you'd be more sympathetic to nail/hair salons who have not been able to operate for well over a month now despite historically being some of the most well-regulated industries from a public health standpoint.  Kemp and Polis are correct in considering that The lost jobs, wages and income security resulting from these arbitrary stay-at-home orders has to end at some point (and probably sooner rather than later).   
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »

As far as I can tell, Colorado isn't reopening gyms and movie theaters.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »

I will say that I am greatly frustrated by the continued denialism and "downplaying" of this crisis by many in this country, particularly those who are among Trump's most ardent supporters. If Americans were taking this more seriously on a universal basis, we would be in a better situation then we are.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2020, 01:57:52 PM »

Latest studies show infection rates much higher, which means a much lower death rate.

I’ve been saying this from the very beginning. Biggest overreaction ever.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »

Preliminary results of a serologic study suggest that about 2.7 million New Yorkers have been infected, including 21.2% of NYC, about 10 times the rate of confirmed infections.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/new-york-finds-virus-marker-in-13-9-suggesting-wide-spread

If it is true that more than 20% of the city is already infected, it does seem to me that they need to open the city back up for those with the antibodies, as well as other young and healthy people for whom the virus has relatively lower risk.

At that rate of infection and contagion, the lockdown is not going to successfully eradicate the virus except through herd immunity. Given this, a general lockdown just puts vulnerable people at more risk by prolonging the process of herd immunity among the healthy, and will eventually lead to more deaths, not fewer.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2020, 02:00:31 PM »

Latest studies show infection rates much higher, which means a much lower death rate.

I’ve been saying this from the very beginning. Biggest overreaction ever.
what are latest studies saying about fatality rates among specific age brackets?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2020, 02:02:53 PM »

I can think of another.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »

SECURITY THEATER FTW!!!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2020, 02:15:27 PM »

This is actually a pretty good analogy.  When the terrorist attacks happened on 9/11, it was pretty reasonable for us to enact a lot of new strict security measures, because we had very little knowledge of how much this initial wave represented an ongoing threat to our way of life.  But as time when on and it became apparent that terrorism was not a serious or common threat, we mostly failed to adjust our policies in light of new information.  We still have to take our shoes off and can’t take liquids on the plane despite not seeing any airplane related terrorism in almost two decades.

These serologic studies have the potential to give us real and essential information about the prevalence and fatality rates of the virus.  It would be shameful if we don’t use this information to adjust our policies.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies