anyone agree that conservative and liberal are contextual? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:32:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  anyone agree that conservative and liberal are contextual? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: anyone agree that conservative and liberal are contextual?  (Read 536 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 20, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »

For instance, I think that the political structure in britain wouldn't easily translate to the united states because there isn't a lot of rural areas or not as many in britain.

From what I know - a state like Massachusetts would be most comparable to Britain. Conservatism in somewhere like Massachusetts, for instance, is not quite the same thing as that in Missouri. Conservatism in Massachusetts would most likely be that in the context of an ethnic Irish/Italian working class area and doing what they can to defend such area (similar to Britain).

The more embarassing type of conservatism in the united states is what I call americultism. The most visible proponents of this would be Dana Loesch, Eric Ericson and Glenn Beck. Because somewhere like Britain or RI/MA/CT is not very rural - that type of conservatism would mostly be DOA there.

It's kind of hard for me to explain - but does anyone sort of get what I'm saying?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »

The idea that conservatism in Massachusetts isn't particularly nationalistic is ludicrous.

i'm not saying it wouldn't be nationalistic - but it would have an urban, foul-mouthed townie aspect to it as opposed to the "America f-ck yeah" vibe to someone like Loesch or Erickson.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies