The future of the two parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:40:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The future of the two parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The future of the two parties  (Read 5942 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 16, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »
« edited: August 16, 2013, 12:54:22 PM by Orser67 »

I see the Democratic Party remaining about where it is now. As young (mostly) white liberals get older, they'll put pressure on the Democratic Party to move in a libertarian direction.

I predict that the GOP going through the "wilderness" for several years, nominating extreme presidential candidates and clinging to power in the House. Of course, even if they nominate extreme candidates, they could still win the election given the right set of events. The GOP might adapt to changing demographics, but I think many underestimate how difficult that will be. Republicans will face a quandary, as the ideological purists will try to push them away from the center, which will turn off swing voters. But if the GOP tries to stick to the center, conservatives could very well start a third party.

While I would bet against it, there's no guarantee the GOP will be around throughout our lifetimes. Just because a major party hasn't disappeared in 150 years doesn't mean that it will never happen again. The Democrats could also disappear as a major party, but the GOP faces much larger problems than the Democrats, at least right now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies