The future of the two parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:17:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The future of the two parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The future of the two parties  (Read 5942 times)
HansOslo
Rookie
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »

I can imagine the parties moving in entirely different directions as well. The GOP might turn towards more populist or even protectionist economic policies, “Main Street” and the small business owners in the Heartland, as opposed to Wall Street and globalist capitalism. I assume such a GOP would still be very culturally conservative. Issues like immigration are already creating fissures between the Wall Street donors and the core voters in the South and the Midwest. This wouldn’t necessarily be an all-white party either. I can imagine a party based along these lines could also draw a lot of votes from working class Blacks and Hispanics as well.

This would leave the Democratic Party as the party of social liberalism, globalization and  capitalism. That is a mix that work for a lot of European parties, and it fits with a Democratic party that draws most of its votes from the big cites. There are of course parts of the current Democratic coalition that would object to this (unionized workers in the private sector), but I think the Democrats can afford to lose them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies