Bloomberg continues to be the best (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:36:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bloomberg continues to be the best (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bloomberg continues to be the best  (Read 5626 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: February 14, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »

Sound reasoning, but WTF are they going to put the Halal food in now?

Blatant islamophobia and elitism from Mayor Bloomberg.  I assume he's not eating a lot of $5 chicken and rice. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »

If you knew anything about Florida at all, you would know that we have gated suburban hells, not row houses, which are commonly found in New York City. I am one of the fortunate few who doesn’t live in those gated communities. I would agree that they are actually worst then NYC. As for NYC, it had 414 murders last year. Palm Beach County had around 60. Proportionally speaking, that makes PBC really, really bad. NYC is relatively good in regards to crime. I won’t deny that. My county has just over a million people; New York has about eight million. New York City is not that heavily overcrowded either. Those are the good things I could say about the city.

Here is the reason why I never will live in that city, and never will bother to visit it-it is freaking New York. It has a school system that has hundreds if not thousands of teachers waiting in rubber rooms for months on end still getting paid while waiting for a review by the school board regarding crimes they may or may not have committed.

You cannot get around in your own car. You pretty much have to deal with the subway, which is a likely terrorist target, it costs thousands of dollars to live there comfortably (unless of course you come from a wealthy family with connections, in which case, you either are supported directly or are able to get stable employment via family ties), and finally, you miss out on the friendliness/stability you might find in a small town (hell, I live in Boynton, and this town is too big for my liking).

I live in a county that has been ravaged repeatedly by Hurricanes. And part of the reason I oppose FEMA is because all the rich people in Manalapan and Ocean Ridge across the river from me (I can actually see Al Haig’s old house right now) get their docks and seawalls rebuilt after every storm, and have their private beaches resanded with tax payer money. There is never any severe flooding here due to the Hurricanes, with the exception of the agrarian western areas of the county, which the county, not the Feds, dried out when we got our brush with Irene (which slightly brushed us). If I recall correctly, much of New York City flooded….

And finally, we come to the last reason to despise New York-the New Yorker. I know them well, because my own dad is one of them. I tolerate them better than most who are not related to New Yorkers, but I still find myself annoyed by them. Kinda like the way New Yorkers dislike people from Alabama. The North-South divide transcends politics and race as of 2013. Its just a natural cultural divide now a days.

You've never been to a place, yet you despise it?  And because of Hurricane Sandy, the rubber room, hypothetical terrorist attacks and a bunch of assumptions about what people are like... ridiculous.  That's a horrible, closed-minded juvenile attitude.

I personally love New York City.  But, I also appreciate every place I've been to including Alabama.  If you try to find the positive parts of life and don't assume you know everything about people and places you've never lived, you'll be happier and smarter for it. 

You ought to come visit New York while you can still eat halal in a non-nanny state libertarian fashion. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »

I have been through much of the Northeast. I know enough New Yorkers, including my dad's entire side of the family (who beside my dad, are all major HP's) to know the place is not worth venturing in too. I know for a fact that the same judgment I am passing on NYC is passed regularly on Mississippi and Utah by members of this forums leftwing.

There are millions of New Yorkers.  You can't possibly know enough people to dislike the entire place.  That's called being closed-minded.  If you want to live in anecdote world...

I have a car in NYC.  My apartment (which is actually affordable) wasn't flooded during Sandy (nor did I ever lose power).  I know tons of amazing, friendly people in NYC.  I was able to make it here without a rich, well-connected family.  I haven't been killed by terrorists on the train.  Ergo, NYC must be amazing.

Also, I love Utah as well and I go there on vacation every year.  So, at least some liberals aren't guilty of making your dumb assumptions. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:57:59 AM »

I have been through much of the Northeast. I know enough New Yorkers, including my dad's entire side of the family (who beside my dad, are all major HP's) to know the place is not worth venturing in too. I know for a fact that the same judgment I am passing on NYC is passed regularly on Mississippi and Utah by members of this forums leftwing.

There are millions of New Yorkers.  You can't possibly know enough people to dislike the entire place.  That's called being closed-minded.  If you want to live in anecdote world...

I have a car in NYC.  My apartment (which is actually affordable) wasn't flooded during Sandy (nor did I ever lose power).  I know tons of amazing, friendly people in NYC.  I was able to make it here without a rich, well-connected family.  I haven't been killed by terrorists on the train.  Ergo, NYC must be amazing.

Also, I love Utah as well and I go there on vacation every year.  So, at least some liberals aren't guilty of making your dumb assumptions. 
Has anyone ever thought being closed minded is a good thing? You say that as an attack, but I view it as a stubborn badge of principle on my part. You provide several examples of your life that are true, but you’re a newer poster and I have yet to have any real interaction with you before this in the Off Topic section, so

Did I ever accuse this forums left wing at-large? I said some. Quit trying to generalize my statement into subunits. I made one general attack on New Yorkers which may or may not be infracted, not attacks on Liberals, Wyoming liberals, or Wyoming liberals who oppose evolution. Your splitting hairs with that last sentence.

As for the actual subject (something about cardboard, right Tongue): how many individuals do you all know who have contracted cancer due to excessive use of Styrofoam or being in its presence heavily? And how many of those people (if any exist) are also smokers, use cell phones, microwaves, etc, etc. Cancer has many causes, and if Styrofoam has any adverse health effects at all, it is likely to be enhanced by something else. I refuse to believe for one minute that Styrofoam is a severe enough threat to human health that it must be eliminated.

The ecological effects are debatable, but I contend that New York has much greater ecological problems then Styrofoam. New York County has the third highest cancer risk from airborne chemicals, for example.

Being closed minded is a bad thing.  The problem with being stubborn is that your stubbornness is based on nothing, you've never been here.  You may think you know a lot of things but, how you feel about things is often just a guess, even if it feels like an informed position.  I guarantee that in 10 years you will realize you were wrong about a lot of things you thought you knew, unless you stay in state of arrested development. 

As for styrofoam and Bloomy, I don't care that much, although it certainly seems like a reasonable policy for recycling reasons as well.  I'm definitely more concerned about other environmental issues in the city.  And in any case, I'm more concerned about the halal cart fairness issues raised by this ban.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies