Bus Driver Unions of New York city go on strike, shut down schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:11:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bus Driver Unions of New York city go on strike, shut down schools
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bus Driver Unions of New York city go on strike, shut down schools  (Read 1744 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:09:45 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263344/New-York-City-school-bus-drivers-strike-thousands-schoolchildren-stranded.html

More than 8,000 New York City school bus drivers and matrons went on strike over job protection this morning, leaving some 152,000 students, many disabled, trying to find other ways to get to school.
Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said the strike started at 6 a.m. Wednesday. About 200 bus drivers and bus matrons were assembled on picket lines in the Queens section of the city.

Parents have made plans to use subways, carpools and other alternatives, hitting slippery roads as sleet turned to rain around the city and temperatures were at or above freezing.
The city has put its contracts with private bus companies up for bid, aiming to cut costs. The Local 1181 of the Amalgamated Transit Union says drivers could suddenly lose their jobs when contracts expire in June.

Amazing! New York City spends $6500 per student per year on transportation costs, or, well, roughly $36 per day.

Why hasn't anyone busted the union yet?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:26 AM »

because this is New York
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »

Even New York must have something nice to do with $36 per day.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:35:08 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2013, 12:38:38 AM by patrick1 »

They are trying to and that is why they are going on strike.

-It must be noted that the city bus situation is a huge mess and the problem has many fathers- the unions being one of them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:39 AM »

How did I know this was a krazen thread before clicking on it?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »

Even Joe Klein was scathing about this yesterday. I can't remember the last time I (mostly) agreed with him, but this was one of them.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »

Lets see - oppressive class war child-killing agenda masquerading as concern for children?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:24:01 PM »

See, if the US had a half-decent transportation policy, this wouldn't be an issue as the kids could just walk or bicycle to school.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »

See, if the US had a half-decent transportation policy, this wouldn't be an issue as the kids could just walk or bicycle to school.

^^^^^^^^

Indeed.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »

I always walked to school in elementary and middle school.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:42:25 PM »

^^^^^^^^

Indeed.

Guys, its America - they'd all be shot if they went  that-a-way.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »

A couple things to point out: the explosion of special ed students has led to this, many NYC public students go to schools quite far from their home, OMFG! child abduction is always an element at play. I walked/biked home from Catholic grade school when I was older aged because it was just around a mile and city didnt provide bus anyway.  High School was 16 miles away so that wasn't doable...
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »

Because it's a free country perhaps?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »

Lets see - oppressive class war child-killing agenda masquerading as concern for children?

Child killing?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »

Child killing?

Reducing one's serviles to below-subsistence penury leads to the death of a larger and quite predictable percentage of them and of their children, DC.  And those who commit this genocide are quite aware of what they are doing.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »

Fantastic news!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »

Going on strike is a constitutional right. I don't care what anybody says.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:56 PM »

Child killing?

Reducing one's serviles to below-subsistence penury leads to the death of a larger and quite predictable percentage of them and of their children, DC.  And those who commit this genocide are quite aware of what they are doing.

According to this http://www.childdeathreview.org/nationalchildmortalitydata.htm, over 3/4 of children's deaths are caused by:

1) Perinatal conditions
2) Congenital anomalies
3) Motor vehicle accidents

So what, paying the poor $8 an hour is causing their kids to die in car crashes?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »

$6500 per child on transit? I'm not at all versed in local NYC politics, but I'm tempted to call shenanigans. Somebody on the right has done some creative accounting. And NYC is one of the few US cities with decent public transit options, so I'm not sure what those comments are about. But you can't blame bus drivers for wanting some job security. Who wants to lose their job?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »

oppressive class war child-killing agenda masquerading as concern for children?

Child killing?

According to this http://www.childdeathreview.org/nationalchildmortalitydata.htm, over 3/4 of children's deaths are caused by:

1) Perinatal conditions
2) Congenital anomalies
3) Motor vehicle accidents

So what, paying the poor $8 an hour is causing their kids to die in car crashes?

Of course, and the first two as well.  Poors have no access to medical care.

Besides, friend, who could call $8/hour 'living'?  The deceased are the lucky ones.
Benj

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

$6500 per child on transit? I'm not at all versed in local NYC politics, but I'm tempted to call shenanigans. Somebody on the right has done some creative accounting. And NYC is one of the few US cities with decent public transit options, so I'm not sure what those comments are about. But you can't blame bus drivers for wanting some job security. Who wants to lose their job?

It can't even be true because the vast majority of public schoolkids in NYC don't even use the buses--they travel by public transportation. It is true that kids get free rides on the MTA, but that's almost entirely at the MTA's cost, despite the state government originally pledging to fund it.* Only kids in Staten Island, outer Queens and maybe parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn (not sure) get school buses.

*Long story short, state, city and MTA originally agreed to split the costs equally three ways. Then the city and state refused to pay more when more kids enrolled than expected, leaving the MTA on the hook. Two or three years ago the state cut funding for the program altogether. But state law still requires the MTA to offer free transit for kids, so the MTA now bears about three-quarters of the cost, the remaining quarter coming from the city (which has neither increased nor decreased its contribution since the program started).
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »

Child killing?

I believe the proper term for this is "social murder".
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 11:36:06 AM »

You aren't at all versed in much of anything.

Since you are so ignorant I'll just tell you that that number comes from these leftist fiends at the New York Times

Or, alternatively, from leftist Michael Bloomberg
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »

The article says they spend about $1.1B on transit. They have about 1.1M students. That's about $1000/student by non creative accounting.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »

The article says they spend about $1.1B on transit. They have about 1.1M students. That's about $1000/student by non creative accounting.

Perhaps it's $6500 per student that takes the bus, and some number smaller than $1000 for the vast majority of students that get free MetroCards instead.  Pretty easy to reconcile those two figures.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies