Republicans declare war on democracy, Virginia legislature to lead the charge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:30:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans declare war on democracy, Virginia legislature to lead the charge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Republicans declare war on democracy, Virginia legislature to lead the charge  (Read 7122 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »

I'm not a fan of either system (winner-takes-all or splitting it by Districts) because in one way or another, a percentage of the voters will be disenfranchised.  You either disenfranchise a large percentage via winner-takes-all or you disenfranchise a small portion by awarding EV's based on Districts.  If I had to choose, I'd stick with winner-takes-all because it forces the candidates to actually "try" and win the State/Commonwealth.  But in the end, I do respect the right for each State/Commonwealth to choose the way they want to award their EV's since there is no Constitutional guideline that dictates one way or another.

greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »

Looks like it's still alive in Pennsylvania though now they're talking about proportional allocation against the state popular vote as opposed to by Congressional district: http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2013/02/05/news/doc511084ae52f01290222241.txt

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »

Looks like it's still alive in Pennsylvania though now they're talking about proportional allocation against the state popular vote as opposed to by Congressional district: http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2013/02/05/news/doc511084ae52f01290222241.txt

That makes sense if they want to get somewhere. The Virginia plan was total overreach, even people who don't care about politics can tell that giving Romney 2/3 of the electoral votes when he loses a state just isn't right. Unfortunately the counter-argument then becomes that campaigns will ignore the state because they'd be fighting for 1 or 2 EVs at most.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »

I fully support PR in the Electoral College, but obviously not applied selectively to Democratic States. If the GOP want it  in PA, they have to do the same in TX.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies