These members from hurricane-prone districts voted against Sandy relief (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:49:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  These members from hurricane-prone districts voted against Sandy relief (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: These members from hurricane-prone districts voted against Sandy relief  (Read 2140 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: January 04, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »

Glad they didn't let their personal biases interfere with moral hazard.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »

Is this the moral hazard of people knowingly subordinating other people's real homes and livelihoods to the rigid diktats of a self-involved social theory invented by and for rich white landowners and spuriously applied to a representative government's allocation of the money it invented by fiat? Because that moral hazard was very much incurred, courtesy of these two gentlemen and sixty-five of their compadres.

Maybe if the federal government didn't subsidize flood insurance for places at high risk of having floods, people would be more reluctant to establish their homes in such dangerous areas?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »

Is this the moral hazard of people knowingly subordinating other people's real homes and livelihoods to the rigid diktats of a self-involved social theory invented by and for rich white landowners and spuriously applied to a representative government's allocation of the money it invented by fiat? Because that moral hazard was very much incurred, courtesy of these two gentlemen and sixty-five of their compadres.

Maybe if the federal government didn't subsidize flood insurance for places at high risk of having floods, people would be more reluctant to establish their homes in such dangerous areas?

Or maybe areas around river mouths and along seashores have always been densely populated and it's not some sort of nefarious government scheme that makes people want to live there.

I never said such moral hazard was intentional, nor did I say that government-subsidized disaster insurance makes people want to live there. However, as I already stated, if the government did not provide disaster insurance to people living in disaster-prone areas, then people seeking to live there would have to consider the cost of disaster insurance prior to purchasing a house in a disaster-prone areas. Ceteris paribus, fewer people would buy houses in disaster-prone areas, and fewer people would be in need of disaster relief.

Just for argument, consider this extreme hypothetical: Suppose that it is known that there is a 90% chance of a hurricane demolishing my pristine $400,000 Florida home. Hurricane insurance would have to cost $360,000 if this were the case. Ordinarily, paying $760,000 for a home that gives me slightly more than $400,000 satisfaction would make no sense, but since the government is paying $360,000 of this cost by taking money from people who live in less pristine locations, I consider this a rational decision. Of course, while the numbers may not be as extreme in real life, the same principles apply. If you consider it a goal of government policy to inflate real estate prices for hurricane-prone areas at the expense of people who live in less aesthetically-desirable areas, then I suppose it would make sense to support this policy.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course the situation looks much more clear-cut when examined from only one side of the equation. You neglect to mention that government cannot create wealth, and must fund its endeavors through either taxation, inflation, or credit. Any way you slice it, you must punish people who live nowhere near the areas struck by Hurricane Sandy in order to compensate those affected by the hurricane. If you prefer punishing wage earners in order to help primarily well-off individuals affected by the hurricane, then so be it.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »

Of course the situation looks much more clear-cut when examined from only one side of the equation. You neglect to mention that government cannot create wealth, and must fund its endeavors through either taxation, inflation, or credit. Any way you slice it, you must punish people who live nowhere near the areas struck by Hurricane Sandy in order to compensate those affected by the hurricane. If you prefer punishing wage earners in order to help primarily well-off individuals affected by the hurricane, then so be it.

I'm indeed unconcerned about 'punishing' people whose homes and businesses are physically intact in order to help people whose homes and businesses aren't, and would be even more so were the people in the latter group primarily poor.

You do realize that it is primarily the former group that is poor, unless you believe that the poor own waterfront property?

Just out of curiosity, is there any form of insurance you would not like to see the government subsidize? Under the same logic as above, you should also be unconcerned about punishing good drivers to pay for the car insurance of people who frequently get in accidents.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nothing is preventing you or similarly minded individuals from donating to a charitable organization for hurricane relief. That seems like a more noble pursuit than devaluing working peoples' paychecks in order to subsidize peoples' risky choice of home.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:21:28 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 12:23:33 PM by SPC »

I'm not sure if some of the sentiments expressed in this thread are all that much better than the 'classic' desire for a natural disaster to strike some place seen as ungodly in some way or other.

I do not desire for a hurricane to strike the Atlantic coast. That does not mean that I deny the reality that they often do. Thus, I do not think other people should pay for hurricane insurance for people in high-risk zones any more than they should pay for my earthquake insurance.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:46:31 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2013, 01:50:11 AM by SPC »

You do realize that it is primarily the former group that is poor, unless you believe that the poor own waterfront property?

There are plenty of dirt poor riverside towns and grim coastal villages, you stupid, sheltered, SoCal prick.

Glad you could keep it civil. Smiley

Would you contest that the median net worth of someone owning property at sea level is likely to be significantly greater than someone living further inland?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies