Romney is already doing debate prep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 07:59:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney is already doing debate prep
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney is already doing debate prep  (Read 3615 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:08:43 AM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election-2012/exclusive-mitt-romney-prepping-debate-obama-13-weeks-article-1.1109157

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:12:03 AM »

Good for Mitt. These debates will decide the next president.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »

Debates hardly matter as much with today's electorate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »

Tell that to Rick Perry; if not for his vocal missteps, he probably would have been the Republican nominee, not Romney.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »

Tell that to Rick Perry; if not for his vocal missteps, he probably would have been the Republican nominee, not Romney.

Yes. Perry was the only candidate in the GOP field who gave Romney a run for his money, and would have won the nomination had he not screwed up horribly in the debates!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »

Yes. Perry was the only candidate in the GOP field who gave Romney a run for his money, and would have won the nomination had he not screwed up horribly in the debates!

Sure, Perry might have been more viable if he had someone else's brain.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »

Primaries and general elections are not the same. Obama could slug Romney in the face and these extreme lefties will still vote for him anyway. Surely they don't care what is actually said in the debate.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »

Barring a major flub the debates will not change anybody's mind. I don't think either Obama or Romney are terribly charismatic debaters but both are smart and talented enough not to make a game changing mistake.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »

Romney is a pretty terrible debater, so he'd be stupid not to start practicing as soon as possible.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 02:29:28 PM »

Barring a major flub the debates will not change anybody's mind. I don't think either Obama or Romney are terribly charismatic debaters but both are smart and talented enough not to make a game changing mistake.

Did you see Romney in the GOP debates? Anytime anyone would call him out on ANYTHING he would get visibly flustered and go into a tirade of "LET ME FINISH!!"

Luckily for him, the presidential debates are a bit more formal. But the same kind of thing could still happen.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »

Primaries and general elections are not the same. Obama could slug Romney in the face and these extreme lefties will still vote for him anyway. Surely they don't care what is actually said in the debate.
But if I said this:
You would loudly and vigorously claim the opposite, amirite?
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »

Romney is going to need all the debate prep he can get.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »

Not like he doesn't need it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpD8yb5JR7Y
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

I think the notion that the debates don't matter is pretty silly. Support has been moving in huge "waves" in recent North American elections, and the debates had a huge part in that. Look at Gingrich in South Carolina. Look at Herman Cain and 9-9-9. Go back even further and look at the late Jack Layton in the 2011 Canadian election (he had great debate performances and then, BOOM--the Orange Crush). Whoever wins these debates will walk away with the presidency.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »

But if I said this:
You would loudly and vigorously claim the opposite, amirite?

You are not a very logical or intelligent person, clearly.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »

Good for him.  He needs to get started as soon as possible, because even with the recent wave of terrible news about the economy, he still finds himself on the short end of most electoral map projections.  That could very well change, but he needs 3 strong debate performances and he's going up against a fellow that is an experienced debater and is already practicing himself by using Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) as his Romney stand-in.  Kerry knows Romney since Romney was Kerry's governor for 4 years earlier last decade, and IIRC, was governor when Kerry made his own run at the White House 8 years ago.

The candidates have 86 days to prepare for the first debate which is Wednesday, 3 October 2012 at the University of Denver.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »

To claim that all of us are extreme leftists (compared to most Americans, I am, but that's not the point), and to call that all of us would still vote for Obama if he physically attacked someone is pretty offensive, and very talking points-worthy. Care to take that back?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »

He'll need it, that's for sure,
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2012, 08:54:15 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Kerry seriously kicked Bush's ass in the 2004 debates, but the sheeple  voted for Bush anyways. The first debate looked like a debate between an incumbent President Kerry and some random guy named Bush that was picked up off the street.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:35 PM »

Kerry seriously kicked Bush's ass in the 2004 debates, but the sheeple  voted for Bush anyways. The first debate looked like a debate between an incumbent President Kerry and some random guy named Bush that was picked up off the street.

The third debate I have to admit Bush did well, I assume that part helped him put him up at even levels with Kerry.

They were many factors I can go all say on why Bush won, but if Obama does do well in all 3 no matter what he will win.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

The third debate I have to admit Bush did well, I assume that part helped him put him up at even levels with Kerry.

They were many factors I can go all say on why Bush won, but if Obama does do well in all 3 no matter what he will win.

And if Obama does as poorly in any of the three as Bush did in the first debate, he's a total one-termer.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »

Kerry seriously kicked Bush's ass in the 2004 debates, but the sheeple  voted for Bush anyways. The first debate looked like a debate between an incumbent President Kerry and some random guy named Bush that was picked up off the street.

And if Obama does as poorly in any of the three as Bush did in the first debate, he's a total one-termer.

Agreed to both of these statements.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »

To say that Perry would be the nominee today had he turned in better debate performances is ludicrous.

Better debate performances by Perry still would have left him at a substandard level.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:59 AM »

Obama is much better debater than Bush, so there's nothing to worry about there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies