Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:16:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show  (Read 27763 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 26, 2011, 01:16:08 AM »

So, if he attacked Seth McFarlane, would the punishment fit the crime?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:07:59 PM »

South Park has entire episodes that don't reference a single pop culture icon.  I like Family Guy, but I can't say I've seen them go a commercial break act without at least one reference joke.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:59 AM »

Yes, BRTD, it's against the law to be liberal and Christian.  The founding fathers wrote it in the Constitution after "one nation under God."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:45 PM »

South Park is like "HA HA HERE'S ROB REINER AND HE'S FAT AND EATING UNHEALTHILY BUT HE PREACHES AGAINST SMOKING HE'S SUCH A HYPOCRITE! HA HA HA HA!"

This kind of disproves your own point, BRTD.  You, a non-fan of the show, remember Rob Reiner's appearance in context to an episode about Smoke Stoppers.

What happened in the rest of the episode before and after Sneakers O'Toole walked across the screen?

And I thought Sneakers O'Toole was funny, too, but I don't remember sh**t about the plot of the episode.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:57 AM »

South Park is like "HA HA HERE'S ROB REINER AND HE'S FAT AND EATING UNHEALTHILY BUT HE PREACHES AGAINST SMOKING HE'S SUCH A HYPOCRITE! HA HA HA HA!"

This kind of disproves your own point, BRTD.  You, a non-fan of the show, remember Rob Reiner's appearance in context to an episode about Smoke Stoppers.

What happened in the rest of the episode before and after Sneakers O'Toole walked across the screen?

And I thought Sneakers O'Toole was funny, too, but I don't remember sh**t about the plot of the episode.

Uh, that was the episode where they went to Texas because it was believed that Stewie was demoniacally possessed because he threw up communion wine.. It's even discussed in the bit around Sneakers O'Toole.

Chris: Where are we going?
Stewie: Who cares, as long as it's away from those bloody church fanatics.
Lois: We're going to Texas. We can stay at my sister Carol's place until this blows over.
Brian: Texas? We're going to Texas in search of religious tolerance? That's like trying to get Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off!
*Sneakers O'Toole clip plays*

Yes and how many times have you watched that?

I doubt it took multiple viewings to sink in which episode the Rob Reiner joke of South Park occurred.  Hell, for saying South Park just references like Friedberg/Seltzer with no visible purpose, you also sure got the whole "Rob Reiner is hypocrite because he's fat" meaning without much effort.

South Park still has better story structure.  One problem I have with Family Guy (especially recent seasons) is that it spends about 20 minutes of its 22 minute running time building the plot, but the resolution is only about 30 seconds.  Like they could have this whole story line about Peter in an argument with Lois and then in two short sentences tacked on into the end, they make up.  Or Stewie will go on with some big plan about something for 20 min and Brian will ask Stewie "what happened with..." at the 21 minute mark and "oh I decided..." and it's over. They don't tell a funny story.  If they can't fit it all in their running time, I think it should be an hour long show.  The "Road to..."s and other specials are usually their best.

The only thing FG has on South Park is that it makes self-referential humor about itself.  Stewie making an "oh, I thought we were going to show a clip" after a one-liner.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42:02 AM »

Yes, the cutaway gags work out of context.  But you are claiming that South Park is like Friedberg/Selzter, which is entirely movies of jokes that are totally out of context and don't advance the story.  If anything, Family Guy is Friedberg/Seltzer well-executed.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »

No the thing is in South Park there is no joke. You're basically expected to laugh because of the extremely simplistic caricature of Rob Reiner and ridiculously Anvilicious preaching. You know how all the tobacco employees were singing about how great of a job it is?

Family Guy does not rely on that and it's hardly Friedberg and Seltzer-ish. I mean look at Sneaker's O'Toole for example, that's not a pop culture reference at all.

Yes, but Sneakers O'Toole is an exception not the rule.  South Park is still funny even if it doesn't follow a punchline style.  McFarlane and Judge don't use the punchline style in American Dad and King of the Hill either.  It's all encompassing jokes in those shows.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies