The Dems need an autopsy -- they are now a completely regional party. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Dems need an autopsy -- they are now a completely regional party. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Dems need an autopsy -- they are now a completely regional party.  (Read 6250 times)
hopper
United States

« on: November 25, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »

Democrats consistently win more votes than Republicans.  Their votes are just less spread out.  As time goes on and demographics change, Democrats will win by wider and wider margins overall, and though their vote is more concentrated, it will eventually spread out just as it did from DC to VA/MD, which has made those two states Lean/Safe Dem.  This will happen in Georgia, Arizona, and Texas.  Democrats have a mortal lock on the Northeast and West Coast, so all they need to do is wait for more states to turn based on demographic changes... as has already happened in the Southwest + Virginia. 
I wouldn't bank on demographics for the future. Even Trump managed to change the GOP on the Presidential Level from a bunch of stodgy country-clubbers to a party with some populist flair!
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »

Democrats consistently win more votes than Republicans.  Their votes are just less spread out.  As time goes on and demographics change, Democrats will win by wider and wider margins overall, and though their vote is more concentrated, it will eventually spread out just as it did from DC to VA/MD, which has made those two states Lean/Safe Dem.  This will happen in Georgia, Arizona, and Texas.  Democrats have a mortal lock on the Northeast and West Coast, so all they need to do is wait for more states to turn based on demographic changes... as has already happened in the Southwest + Virginia. 
I wouldn't bank on demographics for the future. Even Trump managed to change the GOP on the Presidential Level from a bunch of stodgy country-clubbers to a party with some populist flair!

"Populist flair" was also used by Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush.
Nixon-maybe.

Reagan was a Hard-Core Conservative and Bush W. ran on his brand of Republicanism to attract Hispanic Votes. They weren't Populist like Trump is.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

Democrats got more votes you dumb .
...yeah she got more votes in states that she didn't need more votes in and states that she needed more votes in she didn't get the votes she needed to win those states.

Anyway, I read something when Dems had "The South" they would run up margins in Southern States but they wouldn't get votes in other non-Southern States to win those states. I think that sort of happened to Hillary she ran up margins on the West Coast and Northeastern States(include VA.) She won other flyover states(CO, NV, NM, MN(barely) and IL) but that was basically it.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »

1) Trump gained less support among Americans.

2) The Republican party is weak on economics beyond taxes.
Both parties really don't have an economic plan for the future. The Dems always say raise the minimum wage up to 15 dollars an hour but do they know how many jobs that that will cost?
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:06 PM »

What will it take to rouse them from their stupor?

They only have some strength along the Left Coast and the NE.

45% of their House of Rep numbers come from 6 states. CA, OR, WA, NY, MA & IL

Any claim to a mythical popular vote is rooted in one state,... CA

They are facing a bitter fight over who leads the party.

The average age of the current Congressional Dem leadership is 72, the Repubs is 49

Not very broad appeal. Dems are in no position to say that they represent the people as a whole.

And in 2018 they are facing a near death experience.

They should immediately check in to political rehab but I think they are still in their disease, denial stage.

Democrats need to get rid of the Clinton faction of the party. Their influence should be dead. I have no confidence in Chuck Schumer leading the Senate Democrats.

As for marganilization, the Democratic Party has won the U.S. Popular Vote in 6 of the 7 presidential elections. That is not marganilizing. In fact, two consecutive Republican presidential pickup winners—George W. Bush (2000) and Donald Trump (2016)—failed to win the U.S. Popular Vote.

What the Democratic Party needs to do is become a uniformly, ideologically left wing political party with their policies for not just social but also economical. They are too much like the Republicans on national security and with the military industrial complex. Aligning closely on those issues makes the two major parties indistinguishable—and makes it too easily susceptible for losing party majority in both houses of Congress, to the Republican Party, while on the watch of a Democratic Party U.S. president. (Bill Clinton and Barack Obama lost the House in their Year #02. The two previous Republican U.S. presidents—Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush—waited until Year #06; there were unique circumstances with Bush Jr.)

Please please do this democrats. This is like all the nuts in my party who said Romeny lost because he wasn't conservative enough. Please go into the crazy far left wilderness with Corbyn and the Labour Party and give us our suburban rich folks back.

Yes, the Democrats should.

People—not including yourself—have it figured that the Republicans are completely owned by the oligarchs, like the Koch brothers and all their allies.

The Democrats should not be following the Republicans any further with any right-wing policies.

There isn’t any person with today’s Republican Party from whom the Democratic Party should be seeking advice. Whenever any of them try to give advice to the Democrats, like commonly suggesting not to go far left, those Republicans should be dismissed. (This includes you, St. Alphonso.)
I love when Dems bring up "The Koch Brothers". I mean have you heard of a guy named George Soros that gives money to Dems?

Go ahead go far left your party will continue to lose elections. Its like the Republicans who weren't conservative enough from 2008-2016!
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »

They only have some strength along the Left Coast and the NE.

45% of their House of Rep numbers come from 6 states. CA, OR, WA, NY, MA & IL

Any claim to a mythical popular vote is rooted in one state,... CA

They are facing a bitter fight over who leads the party.

The average age of the current Congressional Dem leadership is 72, the Repubs is 49

Not very broad appeal. Dems are in no position to say that they represent the people as a whole.

And in 2018 they are facing a near death experience.

They should immediately check in to political rehab but I think they are still in their disease, denial stage.

Democrats need to get rid of the Clinton faction of the party. Their influence should be dead. I have no confidence in Chuck Schumer leading the Senate Democrats.

As for marganilization, the Democratic Party has won the U.S. Popular Vote in 6 of the 7 presidential elections. That is not marganilizing. In fact, two consecutive Republican presidential pickup winners—George W. Bush (2000) and Donald Trump (2016)—failed to win the U.S. Popular Vote.

What the Democratic Party needs to do is become a uniformly, ideologically left wing political party with their policies for not just social but also economical. They are too much like the Republicans on national security and with the military industrial complex. Aligning closely on those issues makes the two major parties indistinguishable—and makes it too easily susceptible for losing party majority in both houses of Congress, to the Republican Party, while on the watch of a Democratic Party U.S. president. (Bill Clinton and Barack Obama lost the House in their Year #02. The two previous Republican U.S. presidents—Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush—waited until Year #06; there were unique circumstances with Bush Jr.)

Please please do this democrats. This is like all the nuts in my party who said Romeny lost because he wasn't conservative enough. Please go into the crazy far left wilderness with Corbyn and the Labour Party and give us our suburban rich folks back.

Yes, the Democrats should.

People—not including yourself—have it figured that the Republicans are completely owned by the oligarchs, like the Koch brothers and all their allies.

The Democrats should not be following the Republicans any further with any right-wing policies.

There isn’t any person with today’s Republican Party from whom the Democratic Party should be seeking advice. Whenever any of them try to give advice to the Democrats, like commonly suggesting not to go far left, those Republicans should be dismissed. (This includes you, St. Alphonso.)
I love when Dems bring up "The Koch Brothers". I mean have you heard of a guy named George Soros that gives money to Dems?

Go ahead go far left your party will continue to lose elections. Its like the Republicans who weren't conservative enough from 2008-2016!

It is an insanely stupid thing to say about progressives losing election when that has been proven wrong - Shows your level of intellect.

The fact that a radical extremist like Trump wins who promises to ban religions & kill innocent people & steal oil vs a complete centrist moderate like Clinton shows how stupid this theory is.

Also the idea of far left is actually mainstream & centrist in every major party in the world. The current Republican party doesn't even fit in any left-right divide. It is an extremist political organization which is completely cut off from reality. Everyone in the world laughs at the stupidity of people who deny climate change.

I mean you radical Religious extremists like Ted Cruz winning elections & you have this idea that being progressive like every major country is unelectable. Who came up with this dumb idea?
Trump is not a radical extremist I think he will be more in the Eisenhower/Nixon mold kind of a Republican.

Um no Republicans aren't extremists. Go check out DW-Dominate Scaling. The Republicans are nearly as conservative as the Democrats are liberal. Yes the Dems are a little more moderate than Republicans.

Yes Hillary would have governed as a Centrist because she would have had to work with a Republican Congress.

I am not a Ted Cruz fan by the way. Not even Establishment Republicans like him in the US Senate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies