U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:45:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains  (Read 11351 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 24, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

That's disgusting. The settlements are reprehensible.

Ordinary villages in which people build houses and live with their families are reprehensible, just because it's Jews living there?

No, just because it isn't their land they are building on. And I notice you say Jews, not Israelis.  Just how much housing subsidy do Israeli Arabs receive?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »

Lmao @ the lefties here devaluing the A-word more and more by the minute. It's almost as worthless as "racist" nowadays. No one cares anymore. Good job, thank you!

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an apartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's apartheid.

The Palestinian Authority is already a fragmented bantustan with its residents not having full rights and with what rights they do have being subject to withdrawal at any time by the Israeli government.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »

Lmao @ the lefties here devaluing the A-word more and more by the minute. It's almost as worthless as "racist" nowadays. No one cares anymore. Good job, thank you!

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an apartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's apartheid.

The Palestinian Authority is already a fragmented bantustan with its residents not having full rights and with what rights they do have being subject to withdrawal at any time by the Israeli government.

But there's a major difference. Legally, they're not living in Israel, but under military rule.

If you follow that opinion, the settlements are being illegally built on non-Israeli land.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:10:29 AM »

The idea that foreign countries can decide where Jews can and cannot build, then, is also often believed to run against one of the more fundamental pillars of Zionism, namely that Jews are finally independent and don't have to rely on whether the world has a favorable or an unfavorable opinion of us. This, of course, makes the U.N. and international law in general spectacularly unpopular, especially so because the U.N. is -- rightly, in my opinion -- perceived to ignore real injustices in the world.

The U.N.'s primary focus is order, not justice. That said, the idea that any country need not consider what other countries think of it strikes me as delusionally arrogant. It's an arrogance that can only be sustained so long as a country remains stronger than its neighbors. Israel will retain that advantage for some time, but not forever.

I suppose if I shared your messianic vision, I might also ignore the lessons of history. However, even if I did, I'd hardly expect others to do so. (I'm not even one of those Christians who see the need for a restoration of a Jewish State as part of Christian eschatology.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies