What the hell does Make America Great Again mean?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What the hell does Make America Great Again mean?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What the hell does Make America Great Again mean?  (Read 5330 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »

Read about the campaign rally Reagan used to open his general election campaign after the convention. Specifically the location and speech theme.

States Rights is literally an amendment in the constitution, and Reagan entire theme of the campaign was to reduce the size of the federal government. Reagan also did make America Great again after the previously terrible 12 years

Reagan grew the federal government and exploded the deficit
Clinton reduced it and balanced the budget
Bush grew the federal government and exploded the deficit
Obama reduced it

See a pattern here?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »

Read about the campaign rally Reagan used to open his general election campaign after the convention. Specifically the location and speech theme.

States Rights is literally an amendment in the constitution, and Reagan entire theme of the campaign was to reduce the size of the federal government. Reagan also did make America Great again after the previously terrible 12 years

The entire theme of the Reagan campaign was to end forced busing, pummel the druggies and college protesters, and reverse the feminist movement. Those are the only reasons he drew any support. Tax cuts were a reward for those who funded it.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

The entire theme of the Reagan campaign was to end forced busing, pummel the druggies and college protesters, and reverse the feminist movement. Those are the only reasons he drew any support. Tax cuts were a reward for those who funded it.

also to kick the Soviets ass.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »

Amen brotha! USA! USA! USA! Miracle on Ice, baby!
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »

Amen brotha! USA! USA! USA! Miracle on Ice, baby!

let's roll!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »

No it wasnt

Tax Cuts, Being Tough on The Soviets were
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2018, 02:10:37 PM »

Gee, all those Wallace Democrats who re-registered to vote for Reagan must have been super excited about that.

http://www.nytimes.com/1976/05/03/archives/new-jersey-pages-democratic-vote-propels-reagan-to-texas-sweep.html
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/1976/03/21/archives/reagan-wallace-facing-key-tests-north-carolina-primary-on-tuesday.html

The highly dishonest New York Times!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »

No it wasnt

The way you believe what you believe is less reason and logic and more dogma.  I kinda doubt you could write a reasoned analysis against your own positions.  Belief would stop you.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »

"states rights" just so happened to coincide with efforts by southern conservatives to resist federal courts enforcement of civil rights legislation.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »

No it wasnt

The way you believe what you believe is less reason and logic and more dogma.  I kinda doubt you could write a reasoned analysis against your own positions.  Belief would stop you.

that's because it's everyone for themselves. you should never write an analysis against your own positions, that means you're letting the opposition control you or make you consider their lies
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »

"states rights" just so happened to coincide with efforts by southern conservatives to resist federal courts enforcement of civil rights legislation.

That wasnt the only place he said either(he said reduce the power of the federal government and return power to thestates and to the people throughout the campaign ) .

And as President he did hand back much of the regulatory power of the federal government (on business issues) to the states
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »

No it wasnt

The way you believe what you believe is less reason and logic and more dogma.  I kinda doubt you could write a reasoned analysis against your own positions.  Belief would stop you.

Yes I could (I oppose the 2003 Bush tax Cut by the way although I support the 2001 tax cut ).

By the Way here's Reagan 1980 Convention Speech: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=25970 and this is the only time he brings up states rights.

Quote from: Restricted

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »

Profits first, people other than the rich -- only in the Afterlife.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »

You pygmies are acting like voters aren’t individuals or even blocs—that it can mean multiple things to multiple people.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »

Profits first, people other than the rich -- only in the Afterlife.

profit above all. the more profit i make, the more i can work against everyone who was ever rude to me or hurt me or didn't believe in me
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »

You pygmies are acting like voters aren’t individuals or even blocs—that it can mean multiple things to multiple people.

Exactly. Such a vague set of words means one thing to the one who pushes it and whatever others want it to mean -- if they fall for the slogan. The Nazis used the slogan "Community  over self"... what sort of community?

I prefer specifics when people try to sell me something.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2018, 06:33:15 PM »

Asking/answering this question after Trump already became president is somewhat poor timing.

As I  recall, Bronz was too busy praising Trump for “not being a weak beta male” before the election to question what any of Trump’s rhetoric actually meant.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »

Beep boop literally believes Reagan's "states' rights" speech was about business regulations.

To be fair to Reagan, the Neshoba County Fair is one of the most important stops for a politician in Mississippi, so there was probably nothing racist in the venue selection itself, as is sometimes suggested by Democrats.

Is it really? I asked that question genuinely. Philadelphia Mississippi I don't believe it's remotely close to one of the more populated counties in the entire state, so....
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »

Beep boop literally believes Reagan's "states' rights" speech was about business regulations.

To be fair to Reagan, the Neshoba County Fair is one of the most important stops for a politician in Mississippi, so there was probably nothing racist in the venue selection itself, as is sometimes suggested by Democrats.

Is it really? I asked that question genuinely. Philadelphia Mississippi I don't believe it's remotely close to one of the more populated counties in the entire state, so....

It is, and it was even more important back then.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/07/31/what-the-neshoba-county-fair-says-about-southern-politics/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies