Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:35:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.1  (Read 203579 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »

Here's another set of numbers to look at - the "right direction/wrong direction" breakdown:

November 1st, 2010: Wrong Direction +32.2
November 3rd, 2012: Wrong Direction +14.9
November 2nd, 2014: Wrong Direction +37.8
November 8th, 2016: Wrong Direction +30.7
Current: Wrong Direction +29.1
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #976 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

I wouldn't start celebrating/panicking just yet with so much time till the midterms. Still, his approvals are approaching the point of no return.

The thing is we are quickly moving pass the honeymoon phase and Trump's numbers are in the dump. And Trump doesn't have the political smarts like Bill Clinton to get himself out of this mess.

Still, Teflon Don seems to recover if he goes a week without a major gaff due to an extremely low bar. Granted, its been 2ish months of sub 40 approval ratings so I'm going to remain cautious.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #977 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »

What would be the point of no return approval number? 30%? I think if Trump gets too low he will pull an LBJ and not run for reelection.

If he gets below 30% then he will face a primary.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #978 on: August 02, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »

What would be the point of no return approval number? 30%? I think if Trump gets too low he will pull an LBJ and not run for reelection.

Hard to say.  Clinton hit his low point (37%) at around this point in his first term and recovered very nicely.  However, Clinton was intelligent, flexible, and charismatic despite his faults; Trump is none of those things.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #979 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »

George W. Bush hovered around mid 30s throughout 2007. Once his soft base left, it collapsed into the mid 20s.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #980 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »

I wouldn't start celebrating/panicking just yet with so much time till the midterms. Still, his approvals are approaching the point of no return.

The thing is we are quickly moving pass the honeymoon phase and Trump's numbers are in the dump. And Trump doesn't have the political smarts like Bill Clinton to get himself out of this mess.

Still, Teflon Don seems to recover if he goes a week without a major gaff due to an extremely low bar. Granted, its been 2ish months of sub 40 approval ratings so I'm going to remain cautious.

He isn't a Teflon though.

His numbers have been consistently underwater since June. This isn't just noise anymore, he has clearly lost support with key demographics that supported him in November.

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #981 on: August 02, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »

People love pointing out how much farther behind other presidents Trump's numbers are, but they actually track pretty well with Bush 43's numbers if the start of Bush's presidency had been just before Hurricane Katrina.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #982 on: August 02, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »

His trendlines are closest to Gerald Ford (who lost reelection). https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/voters/

How Trump compares with past presidents interactive -> click the 1 year option -> scroll down
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #983 on: August 02, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »

His trendlines are closest to Gerald Ford (who lost reelection). https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/voters/

How Trump compares with past presidents interactive -> click the 1 year option -> scroll down

Should be noted Gerald Ford was never underwater as much as Trump is. His disapprovals hovered in the 40's during the Nixon pardon.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #984 on: August 02, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »

So the only way I can see him winning reelection is against Warren or Harris and playing the SJW vs. real American "Keep America Great" (His actual 2020 slogan) card. It could work but not if he's down into the 30s or below.

I do think he'll get a primary challenger but if it gets too low, I think Trump will bow out for Pence. If he is sure to lose, he won't run to not go out as a loser.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #985 on: August 02, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »

Today's FiveThirtyEight composite score:

Approve: 37%
Disapprove: 57.5%

Both are records
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #986 on: August 02, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »

So the only way I can see him winning reelection is against Warren or Harris and playing the SJW vs. real American "Keep America Great" (His actual 2020 slogan) card. It could work but not if he's down into the 30s or below.

I do think he'll get a primary challenger but if it gets too low, I think Trump will bow out for Pence. If he is sure to lose, he won't run to not go out as a loser.

The issue I think with this is that "Keep America Great" is sounding like "America is great because America is good." That's one of Hillary's many mistakes, the messaging. At this rate, Trump likely won't do very well in approval so that slogan could hurt a little.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #987 on: August 02, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/892424547181395968

This is a relevant thread, where a guy talks about his model to convert generic ballot numbers to House seat changes. He claims that given incumbency/tenure/etc, Democrats will need 58% of the two-party vote to flip the House.

Not making the models here, just reporting them. Tongue
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #988 on: August 02, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »

This is a relevant thread, where a guy talks about his model to convert generic ballot numbers to House seat changes. He claims that given incumbency/tenure/etc, Democrats will need 58% of the two-party vote to flip the House.

The problem with his model is he is just doing generic vs generic he doesn't factor in the fact that seats he has the R's holding the dems have already landed the A-star recruits in those districts or the fact Texas is going to get redrawn
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #989 on: August 02, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »

The problem with his model is he is just doing generic vs generic he doesn't factor in the fact that seats he has the R's holding the dems have already landed the A-star recruits in those districts or the fact Texas is going to get redrawn
Yeah. I really doubt the Rs will be able to keep the House with a 6 or 7 point loss. Has that ever happened? 
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #990 on: August 02, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »

Yeah. I really doubt the Rs will be able to keep the House with a 6 or 7 point loss. Has that ever happened? 

No, it has not. The GOP gerrymanders are strong, but nowhere near that strong. Democrats are already maxed out (or close to it) in most of their urban districts. Such a wild swing like that is going to come primarily from swing districts and light red seats, not safe blue or safe red seats where the challengers are jokes. Nate Silver and Dave Wasserman think that anything D+7 or so is sufficient to gain the House. If they're at 58%, then there's a zero percent chance that Republicans keep the House.

58% would be 1894 levels
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #991 on: August 02, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »

Quinnipiac has Trump at 33% Approval and 61% Disapproval today
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #992 on: August 02, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »

The freeazing mark is nigh..
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #993 on: August 02, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »

The freeazing mark is nigh..

Don't forget that Q has consistently been one of the worst pollsters for Trump. 
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #994 on: August 02, 2017, 05:00:42 PM »

Trump's approval is falling rapidly in the last few days according to the 538 tracker.

The RCP average also shows a significant decrease within a short-time span.

Looks like Trump's floor is slowly but steadily getting lower.
maga2020
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: 7.74

« Reply #995 on: August 02, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »

Democrats: permanent minority.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #996 on: August 02, 2017, 05:21:19 PM »

Please try harder. Hardly anyone will get angry at that.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #997 on: August 02, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »

Every time there's a surprising or lopsided election result, some people will say that one of the parties is headed for a permanent majority.  I've seen this claim at least half a dozen times over the years.  It hasn't happened yet, and it's not likely to happen in the future.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #998 on: August 02, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »

Every time there's a surprising or lopsided election result, some people will say that one of the parties is headed for a permanent majority.  I've seen this claim at least half a dozen times over the years.  It hasn't happened yet, and it's not likely to happen in the future.

I think republicans need only remember the feelings they had after Arlen Specter defected in 2009. I remember quite a few pundits talking about the permanent republican minority.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #999 on: August 02, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »

No, it has not. The GOP gerrymanders are strong, but nowhere near that strong. Democrats are already maxed out (or close to it) in most of their urban districts. Such a wild swing like that is going to come primarily from swing districts and light red seats, not safe blue or safe red seats where the challengers are jokes. Nate Silver and Dave Wasserman think that anything D+7 or so is sufficient to gain the House. If they're at 58%, then there's a zero percent chance that Republicans keep the House.

Yeah, he says his model was off by an average of 7 seats in 2014 and 2016 and holds that up as a sign of a high degree of accuracy... It's not, though. No more than maybe 30 seats were even contested seriously those years, so being off by 7 seats is not at all impressive and certainly not a "98% accuracy rate." Moreover, wave and non-wave elections behave quite differently as the number of serious and competitive candidates goes up dramatically on one side in a wave. I suspect his model would do quite badly if applied to 2006 or 2010.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies