How Musicians by genre voted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:53:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How Musicians by genre voted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Musicians by genre voted  (Read 5840 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: January 01, 2021, 01:03:01 PM »

I’m actually not convinced Trump won country musicians by a landslide. Country fans, yes. But Trump lost Davidson County/Nashville worse than any candidate of either party since 1944. And there are a lot of country musicians who are known to have much more liberal views than you might expect based on their fanbases/style/lyrics. Nashville remains a pretty staunchly Democratic city, and the music industry there is no exception. It’s not LA or anything, but it’s not anywhere near as Republican as you might think.

Frankly I think Biden pretty soundly won musicians as a whole, regardless of genre. There’s a reason it’s rare to find a truly conservative musician/actor/artist of any kind. It is not a field that attracts a conservative mindset as a general rule. And classic rock is a particularly bizarre one to say would be Trump voters. Almost every classic rock musician I can think of, from Neil Young to Bob Dylan, was left-wing back in the day and remains that way now. Hell, Young became a US citizen just to vote against Trump.

Bob Dylan has always been pretty conservative, other than that I agree.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 06:38:53 AM »

I’m actually not convinced Trump won country musicians by a landslide. Country fans, yes. But Trump lost Davidson County/Nashville worse than any candidate of either party since 1944. And there are a lot of country musicians who are known to have much more liberal views than you might expect based on their fanbases/style/lyrics. Nashville remains a pretty staunchly Democratic city, and the music industry there is no exception. It’s not LA or anything, but it’s not anywhere near as Republican as you might think.

Frankly I think Biden pretty soundly won musicians as a whole, regardless of genre. There’s a reason it’s rare to find a truly conservative musician/actor/artist of any kind. It is not a field that attracts a conservative mindset as a general rule. And classic rock is a particularly bizarre one to say would be Trump voters. Almost every classic rock musician I can think of, from Neil Young to Bob Dylan, was left-wing back in the day and remains that way now. Hell, Young became a US citizen just to vote against Trump.

Hardly. Listen to "Masters of War," "With God on Our Side" or "It's Alright, Ma." Other than some of the stuff he was writing while under the influence of born-again evangelicalism, he's always been a stalwart reformist (though, certainly not to the degree Tom Paxton, or the leftist Phil Ochs were).

He was a Goldwater supporter in the early 60s and explicitly repudiated the anti-war counterculture movement that tried to adopt him as an idol.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »

Hardly. Listen to "Masters of War," "With God on Our Side" or "It's Alright, Ma." Other than some of the stuff he was writing while under the influence of born-again evangelicalism, he's always been a stalwart reformist (though, certainly not to the degree Tom Paxton, or the leftist Phil Ochs were).

He was a Goldwater supporter in the early 60s and explicitly repudiated the anti-war counterculture movement that tried to adopt him as an idol.

No. From "I Shall Be Free No. 10," 1964

Now, I'm liberal, but to a degree
I want everybody to be free
But if you think that I'll let Barry Goldwater
Move in next door and marry my daughter
You must think I'm crazy

Yeah he said in his autobiography that Goldwater was his favourite politician of the 60s. Make of those lyrics what you will.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies