Australian Election 2004 Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian Election 2004 Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australian Election 2004 Results Thread  (Read 13991 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 09, 2004, 10:28:37 AM »

Based on what I can make sense of the ABC site, it looks like it would be possible but not probable that the Liberals could actually have enough seats to govern without a coalition.  (ABC shows 74 seats solidly won by the Liberals and 3 seats probable but not certain for Labour that the Liberals could get once the preferences get sorted out.)  If the Liberals can dump the Nationals, would they be likely to or would other considerations such as the Senate cause the Liberals to keep the coalition intact?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 03:20:55 PM »

Thank G-d, now Australia will be with us in Iran. I believe the Iran war will be sort of a massive Kosovo, lots of bombing of military installation and no massive Iraq type ground invasion. There will be a one sided naval war and some special ops stuff. Just the kind of operation where Australian aide will be greatly appreciated. Timeframe: 2005-early 2007.

Without a very clear casus belli, I can't even see right-wing extreme hawks wanting to start a war with Iran in the next four years.  Even an open declaration that they are going to build a bomb probably wouldn't be enough.  Our military is over-extended and the idiots running the Pentagon think that the existing Reserves and Guard are enough to do the job.  They probably are, assuming that nothing new comes up, but that's hardly a credible defense policy since if we aren't prepared for a new problem, what's the incentive for others to not provide one?

It would take something like a giant mushroom cloud over the rubble of what was Tel Aviv to get us into a war with Iran in the next four years and I don't see the current leadership in Iran as being that fanatical, even if they had the capability.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies