Ontario 2018 election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:20:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 203865 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2018, 12:50:53 PM »

To put all these polls in context of projected seats (using the http://www.tooclosetocall.ca/p/ontario-2018-simulator.html simulator):

Mainstreet Poll
PC - 79 seats
NDP - 41 seats
Liberal - 4 seats

Pollara Poll
PC - 74 seats
NDP - 50 seats
Liberal - 0 seats

Pollara Advance Voting Poll
PC - 84 seats
NDP - 40 seats
Liberal - 0 seats

beautiful

Glorious. Now let us pray the Tory/NDP prayer:

Screw the Liberals forever and ever Amen
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »

That centre line reminds me of Political Compass
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »

That centre line reminds me of Political Compass

Well, it was from Vote Compass.

Definitely a lot of issues with this ranking, I think.  I really don't think Carleton - a riding that nearly went Liberal in 2015 - is the most right wing in Ontario.

Is it just based off their responses? Tons of issues with that. Non representative samples, weird formulas for defining left/right etc.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »

Doug Ford got my vote. Rae days, affirmative action, and Sunday shopping. The ghost of the NDP still haunts this great province.... The man has his faults, but he got the interest of working Ontarians in mind.

Sunday shopping?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »

If there's a polling error in which direction do you think it'll be?

Looking at Canada 2011, and Alberta 2015, I would guess the Liberals would increase and the NDP would decrease.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »

Good grief. Glad my family drama is way less crazy than that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »

Well yeah.  It's obviously a very progressive minded riding that has about 20% of the electorate that flips between the Liberals and the NDP.  It was stunning to see Dewar lose too, but not surprising really when one is wearing their "sober political analysis" hat, given the dynamics of the riding and what happened in the federal race.

I was on the fence for a while about the riding in 2015. Had I trusted our numbers more, I would've predicted a Liberal win, but instead I relied too much on a uniform swing prediction in the riding and predicted Dewar would win and got burned. Same thing happened for St. John's East, too.  I did predict the Liberals would win Dartmouth and Halifax which got a lot of push-back, but ultimately I proved to be correct.

Anyway, our numbers show the NDP should win Ottawa Centre, so I'm comfortable with making that call this time.

I can understand push back on Halifax, but Dartmouth?! The NDP won it by 2% in 2011 and the Liberals were running a city councilor in 2015. That's a ridiculously easy pick up Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2018, 05:14:31 AM »

Caveats about predicting the future notwithstanding, I really think people are overestimating the impact of a single election on a political party, especially one like the OLP. Even a disastrous showing (1-5 seats) would leave them with enough presence in the legislature to organize. Beyond that, and more importantly, the OLP, like most well-entrenched parties, is much more than its elected representatives. The money, institutional memory, expertise, and informal networks that animate it now will still be available to it after the election.

On a broader point, if you look at the ways political parties have died before it's been through a combination of prolonged atrophy and a major issue that split the party (or that it ended up on the wrong side of). The US Whigs, the British Liberals, the SoCreds, the Union Nationale, the pre-merger PCs - they all suffered multiple terms out of office and generational shifts on major issues before they were extinguished (and even then, you can argue a lot of them are still around in some form or another).

yeah but what if they get 0 seats? did ever happend that rulling party lose all seats? at least greens pick one district and go for it.

New Brunswick Tories in 1987. They still managed to get back into power by 1999
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »

Which website has the best results map? I'm not that impressed with CBC's.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »

Thank you
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »

I will confess, a big part of my interest in this race is because of my own personal quest for bragging rights. My best friends at college lives in Mississauga, and I stayed at his house for Canada 150 last year, and we went into Toronto, got well and smashed, and then I started spouting off in the streets about how “Horwath will be Premier!” And when Doug Ford won the PC leadership, I suggested to him there could be room for the NDP to sneak up the middle between an unpopular Ford and hated Wynne, and he immediately shut me down, saying there was absolutely 0 chance, then when I tried to explain my rationale, he got mad at me for “acting like I knew [his] province better than [him].” So if the NDP does pull it off tonight, in addition to seeing a victory for a party very close to my own ideology, I’ll get to gloat too Tongue

Btw, the last batch of polls has seemed like a herding... very well may be wishful thinking, but I’m not buying the sudden last-minute PC swings, especially when other polls had the NDP on the rise in the last few days and Abacus’ last poll had the NDP up 4. Between that, Kenatagate, and what I suspect will be the deathbed conversion of many would-be Liberal voters to the NDP to stop Ford, I’m still predicting a narrow NDP win, but it’s gonna be a long night and it may be a few days before things shake out fully.

You need to do something more wholesome when drunk... Like calling you ex.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies