Selective service (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:41:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Selective service (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Selective service  (Read 2323 times)
PGSable
Rookie
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »

I apparently need to do one day of patriotic service at the French embassy next year. Dunno what it exactly is.

You basically sit in an auditorium and watch clips that explain how the army helps Third World countries and why democracy is so important.
PGSable
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:26:47 PM »

I apparently need to do one day of patriotic service at the French embassy next year. Dunno what it exactly is.

You basically sit in an auditorium and watch clips that explain how the army helps Third World countries and why democracy is so important.

That sounds FUN!

Believe me, the presenters (a French military officer and a member of the French consulate) were just as bored as we were.
PGSable
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »

That sounds FUN!

Believe me, the presenters (a French military officer and a member of the French consulate) were just as bored as we were.

The only question is...why?

Oh, and is it in French or English?

It was done in French by the French government. It doesn't seem useful, but it replaced France's mandatory military service, so I guess it's a small price to pay. If you're a French and you don't attend, though, you can't pass the French Baccalaureate (which means you can't go to college in France) and you can't vote in French elections.
PGSable
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:54:27 PM »

That sounds FUN!

The only question is...why?

Oh, and is it in French or English?

It was done in French by the French government. It doesn't seem useful, but it replaced France's mandatory military service, so I guess it's a small price to pay. If you're a French and you don't attend, though, you can't pass the French Baccalaureate (which means you can't go to college in France) and you can't vote in French elections.

I'll go anyways, will make something to talk about in school.

That and, as an added benefit, the right to vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies