The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:34:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)  (Read 43942 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 19, 2012, 07:29:21 AM »
« edited: July 19, 2012, 08:27:17 AM by Mr. Morden »

Just got back from the movie.  Greatly enjoyed it.  Won't get into spoiler territory, but as is obvious from the trailers, there's some clear echoes of Occupy Wall Street in the movie, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of political debate about the movie for some time.

Oh, and Bane's voice sounds exactly like a cross between Darth Vader and Darrell Hammond's impersonation of Jack Perkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nff3qG5Rm4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KgacHOHscg&feature=related

EDIT:

Also, there are some fun surprises in this movie, and I've just noticed that Wikipedia spoils some of them with no warning.  If you want to go in unspoiled, avoid the Wikipedia article both for the movie itself, and for the actors starring in the movie, until after you've seen the movie.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 04:36:56 AM »

Shooting at a Denver area TDKR screening:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-naw-colorado-theater-shooting-20120720,0,6920356.story
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:33 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2012, 01:23:08 AM by Mr. Morden »

I was actually just thinking about how to rank all of Nolan's movies, and my first draft ranking was this:

1) Memento
2) The Dark Knight
3) Inception
4) The Dark Knight Rises
5) Batman Begins
6) The Prestige
7) Following
8 ) Insomnia

But they're all good, and all fairly close in quality, so I could probably be talked into just about any possible reordering combination.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

Without getting too into spoilerish stuff, I just have to say that the fight scenes between Batman and Bane were so damn good. Nolan's ability to film a fight has improved markedly since Batman Begins.

Anyway, how do you guys rank the three movies?

For me, I'm thinking:

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins

Very small gaps between each of them though.

I think your signature comparing Romney to a murderer is disrespectful to the victims of the murders in Colorado. 

Bane is a fictional character who didn't murder anyone in Colorado.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:53:56 AM »

Also if it's eight years after the last movie, wouldn't that make it set in 2016? That would make Catwoman 30 rather than 26, closer to Anne Hathaway's real age (she can easily pass for either though so no big deal.)

Actually, I believe that in TDK, they say that it's only been about a year since Batman Begins, so I guess the timeline would be something like:

2005 Batman Begins (at least from the time Bruce returns to Gotham and becomes Batman)
2006 The Dark Knight
2014 The Dark Knight Rises

But when do they say what Catwoman's age is?  I don't remember that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

Avengers will be #1 for the year, and TDKR will most likely be #2.  It's possible TDKR slips to #3 if The Hobbit does significantly better than expected.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:06:09 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2012, 07:56:29 AM by Mr. Morden »

You guys would never believe how expensive movie tickets are in Sydney.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »

You guys would never believe knew how expensive movie tickets are in Sydney.

It wasn't all that long ago they had "Cheap Tuesdays"at $5 for any session, any movie, any time on a Tuesday.

That said, have you done Gold Class yet?

No, isn't that like $35 or something?

Many years ago, when I lived in Minnesota, I did once go to a theater where you sat at tables and had food delivered to your seat, which I guess is like Gold Class.  But this one wasn't nearly as expensive, because it was a budget theater, showing movies that had already been in wide release for about 5 months or so.

Btw, I had another thought about TDKR.  If something like the nuclear hostage crisis happened in real life, how do you think the US government would handle it?  Have some snipers covertly make their way into Gotham, and then try to assassinate Bane and as many of his henchmen at once as possible, in the hopes that you'll get whoever it is that has the trigger?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:47:39 AM »

You guys would never believe how expensive movie tickets are in Sydney.

My ticket was 9.50€, which is about 11.70$ - in the 9th row.

The normal evening ticket price for adults at the theater on my street is $18.50.  And that's Australian dollars, so it's even a bit more if you convert to US $.  If you go to a 3D showing, it's even more.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 02:42:05 AM »

Did anyone else think that the agent in the very first scene looked like a younger, slightly more attractive Rick Santorum?

Wasn't that Aiden Gillen from Game of Thrones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fAOOJpaKaU
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies