Biden says peaceful protests are welcome, but violence is not
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:48:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden says peaceful protests are welcome, but violence is not
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden says peaceful protests are welcome, but violence is not  (Read 704 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2024, 04:26:17 PM »

"We've all seen images, and they put to the test two fundamental American principles," Biden said from the Roosevelt Room. "The first is the right to free speech and for people to peacefully assemble and make their voices heard. The second is the rule of law. Both must be upheld."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-speaks-college-protests-israel-gaza-war/story?id=109870179

Far left Twitter has truly lost its mind. They're now mad at Biden for giving this .... very normal statement today. These people have lost it.

I think they need to realize how out of step they are with the average person. They need to touch grass. Most people would look at what he said and say, yeah... I agree. People should be allowed to protest peacefully, but smashing windows, breaking into buildings, barricading yourself inside, getting violent with each other (UCLA) or police getting violent with the peaceful protesters ... yes all of those things are wrong.

Imagine getting mad at that. He wasn't saying all protests are violent, that's literally nowhere in this. But judging by their reaction to it, you might as well have thought he pulled a Trump and teargassed the protesters or something.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 04:28:51 PM »

He's doing about the best he could with this.

What really matters is if the ceasefire deal mercifully occurs or not. The sooner Gaza is out of headlines, the better, politically.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 04:51:14 PM »

It's not just far-left Xitter (pronounced with "sh" instead of the "X" sound) that has lost its mind. Until recently I was on BlueSky, an app trying to replace it, and oh boy...those people are insane. There are literally people saying that we should all be willing to do what Aaron Bushnell did.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 04:53:04 PM »

It's not just far-left Xitter (pronounced with "sh" instead of the "X" sound) that has lost its mind. Until recently I was on BlueSky, an app trying to replace it, and oh boy...those people are insane. There are literally people saying that we should all be willing to do what Aaron Bushnell did.

Like Twitter is a giant cesspool and awful, but I was genuinely shocked at the vitriolic reactions to the speech today. These people live on a completely different planet. Imagine getting upset at someone simply saying "go and protest, just don't smash windows"
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 04:55:26 PM »

Like Twitter is a giant cesspool and awful, but I was genuinely shocked at the vitriolic reactions to the speech today. These people live on a completely different planet. Imagine getting upset at someone simply saying "go and protest, just don't smash windows"

Ultimately this is the biggest reason why I'm so pessimistic about Biden's chances in November. Part of it is because I don't want to be disappointed (which is why I usually set my expectations low), but a larger part is because there's a fundamental difference between the two parties' bases. The red team's base will vote for Trump no matter what, whereas the blue team's base looks for any reason possible not to vote for Biden. There's just a vast asymmetry that I feel extends to the campaigns themselves, and I'm very glad I deleted my BlueSky account for the sake of my mental health. That being said, in six months I likely won't be able to escape the reality of what these people have wrought.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »

Ultimately this is the biggest reason why I'm so pessimistic about Biden's chances in November. Part of it is because I don't want to be disappointed (which is why I usually set my expectations low), but a larger part is because there's a fundamental difference between the two parties' bases. The red team's base will vote for Trump no matter what, whereas the blue team's base looks for any reason possible not to vote for Biden. There's just a vast asymmetry that I feel extends to the campaigns themselves, and I'm very glad I deleted my BlueSky account for the sake of my mental health. That being said, in six months I likely won't be able to escape the reality of what these people have wrought.

I mean I think the thing to remember is that these people are the same types of ones who have been anti-Biden/anti-Dems for years, since 2016 lol. Not to say that it won't hurt Biden if he loses any votes, because he can't really afford to, but also important to remember that these people do not represent actual people in the real world that much.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 04:59:12 PM »

I mean I think the thing to remember is that these people are the same types of ones who have been anti-Biden/anti-Dems for years, since 2016 lol. Not to say that it won't hurt Biden if he loses any votes, because he can't really afford to, but also important to remember that these people do not represent actual people in the real world that much.

True. It's entirely possible that if not for Gaza, they would have found some other reason not to vote for Biden. But you're also right that Biden doesn't need this.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 05:54:39 PM »

What baffles me is that there are so many people who blame Biden for the violence. Because as we all know he controls every DA and police department in the entire country.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 06:12:22 PM »

What baffles me is that there are so many people who blame Biden for the violence. Because as we all know he controls every DA and police department in the entire country.

Not to mention how he controls the economy, immigration, and international affairs.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 09:36:10 PM »

Not to mention how he controls the economy, immigration, and international affairs.

He DOES control immigration to a large degree.  Halting construction on the Border Wall, ending the Remain in Mexico policies, were done by Biden's Executive Orders. 

He could prosecute these illegal demonstrators Federally for denying Jewish citizens their civil rights.  He could direct the FBI to investigate and the DOJ to prosecute Civil Rights Violations, as well as illegal activities that were done as part of a broader conspiracy with interstate coordination.  He won't because he's a coward, but he could.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 09:44:59 PM »

Can confirm. I have one of my coworkers on Blue Sky, and he's pretty intelligent and uncombative in real life, but man, he's a straight-up leftist radical on there, and has actually gathered a pretty substantial group of followers, at least by Blue Sky standards.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 10:05:36 PM »

To be fair, if you are going to claim credit for any of them (low crime, great economy, illegal immigration under control, peace and harmony abroad...), expect to also get the blame when things go south, even if you don't actually have much -if any- control over them. 
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 10:11:51 PM »

Any minute example of violent behavior from a single protestor is used as an excuse to crack down on the entire protest. Some might argue that occupation of a university space itself is violent.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2024, 10:38:57 PM »

To be fair, if you are going to claim credit for any of them (low crime, great economy, illegal immigration under control, peace and harmony abroad...), expect to also get the blame when things go south, even if you don't actually have much -if any- control over them. 

If a President can point to a certain accomplishment or policy-sure.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 12:29:03 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2024, 12:51:26 PM by Vice President Christian Man »

This shouldn't be controversial, it's just common sense. Even if you're pro-Palestine, you shouldn't support violence as that just discredits your point. I know if I was pro-Palestine I'd be more than annoyed about the violence happening as I am by some on the pro-Israel side.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2024, 03:31:14 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2024, 03:37:23 PM »

This shouldn't be controversial, it's just common sense. Even if you're pro-Palestine, you shouldn't support violence as that just discredits your point. I know if I was pro-Palestine I'd be more than annoyed about the violence happening as I am by some on the pro-Israel side.

Exactly. That has always been the case on such issues. Just like the rioters and loothers acting in the name of BLM, just harming the cause of ending police violence.

I always used to say violence is only used by those that have lost compelling arguments in a debate or who simply want to distract from the actual issue.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2024, 03:39:32 PM »

I find it interesting that athiests think it's too harsh.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2024, 06:10:24 PM »

The media always present Biden as some out of touch doddering old fool only for the polls to come out and show that he is actually expressing the majority view in almost every issue.
No wonder the New York Times, Politico, NBC, etc., hate him so much.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2024, 06:32:41 PM »

The media always present Biden as some out of touch doddering old fool only for the polls to come out and show that he is actually expressing the majority view in almost every issue.
No wonder the New York Times, Politico, NBC, etc., hate him so much.

Back in October-Januaryish, I was hearing a lot about Israel-Gaza in day-to-day conversation, but since the college camp outs started, I've only heard them mentioned once IRL, and it was by someone who lives near GWU asking why they're protesting there and not at the White House. My mom also asked me if I was watching the news coverage on TV, but she's very plugged-into this discussion in a way that is not typical of most people. I think all these protests are just much less a part of the zeitgeist than people think, even if the broader conflict is still very relevant.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2024, 07:35:47 PM »

I hope Biden isn't going to get any brownie points for belaboring the obvious.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2024, 09:16:42 PM »

This sort of milquetoast comments requires no courage.  It's a good thing, because Biden is a coward.

What Biden SHOULD have done was to unequivocally condemn the pro-Palestine posters, and ONLY the pro-Palestine posters, because THEY were the ones required for almost all of the criminality.  The pro-Palestinians were the ones who tied up traffic, blocked ingress and egress, falsely imprisoned people, committed vandalism, burglarized and illegally occupied campus facilities.  Let's be real about that.

What Biden SHOULD have done was unequivocally called out anti-JEW hatred, firmly and forcefully.  There should have been absolutely NO mention of "Islamophobia" because "Islamophobia" is not the problem here.  The Muslims involved in these protests are (for the most part) Jihadists; they are not normal Muslims who wouldn't even think of joining these clowns, but this isn't a "both sides" issue at time.  There is a time and place for discussion of Islamophobia, but this isn't that time or place, particularly when the Jihadist Muslims in the crowds are saying "Death to America" and calling for Intifada in both Israel AND America.

This would have required courage and morality, of which Biden has none of, but just imagine how Americans would have reacted if Biden had spoken this forcefully?  Imagine what people would have thought if he said something like, "People have advised me not to say this, out of concern for carrying Michigan and being re-elected.  I want to be re-elected, but not at the expense of failing to do the right thing here.  And I don't think that I WILL lose Michigan, but this has to be said, and said now, regardless of the effect on the election."  You have to imagine it because he's never shown such courage, but a statement that clear was needed.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2024, 10:04:44 PM »

There should have been absolutely NO mention of "Islamophobia" because "Islamophobia" is not the problem here.  The Muslims involved in these protests are (for the most part) Jihadists; they are not normal Muslims who wouldn't even think of joining these clowns, but this isn't a "both sides" issue at time.  There is a time and place for discussion of Islamophobia, but this isn't that time or place

You're angry at Biden for disparaging bigotry. Let that sink in.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2024, 10:19:25 PM »

There should have been absolutely NO mention of "Islamophobia" because "Islamophobia" is not the problem here.  The Muslims involved in these protests are (for the most part) Jihadists; they are not normal Muslims who wouldn't even think of joining these clowns, but this isn't a "both sides" issue at time.  There is a time and place for discussion of Islamophobia, but this isn't that time or place

It's not the time to call out "Islamophobia".  The suffix "phobia" means "fear" and Jewish students, for no other reason than Palestinian hatred acting out, have real reason to fear the Islamic protesters in today's on-campus mods.  They are not the reasonable Muslims on our site; they are pro-Hamas.  Indeed, some have actually said that they ARE Hamas.  Lecturing on "Islamophobia" at this time is cruel to Jewish students on campus; their Palestinian Arab peers include Islamic Jihadists, and they have given the Jewish students real reason to fear them.

If a crowd of people, being appalled by what has gone on, were to converge on Dearborn, MI and engage in protests whose goal was simply to disrupt everyday life there, a lecture on Islamophobia would be appropriate.  Ditto if there were a campaign of vandalizing Mosques.  Muslims have the right to ingress and egress, to not be falsely imprisoned, to not be threatened that the Jewish students on campus today have.  But that's not happening here.  And while I believe that the Leftist narrative on Palestine is utter disinformation (that you perpetuate, by the way), a lecture on "islamophbia" would not be appropriate at this time even if your narrative were 100% true. 

Don't lecture me on bigotry when you are standing up for some of the most hateful bigots in the world.  That's an accurate phrase to describe the Palestinian Arab Nationalists that are driving the events at campus protests today.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2024, 02:39:59 AM »

As usual fuzzy is angry because he sees himself in Biden's comments.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies