Clinton aides already talking about VP options (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:04:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton aides already talking about VP options (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton aides already talking about VP options  (Read 9077 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: January 26, 2015, 11:08:20 AM »
« edited: January 26, 2015, 11:10:17 AM by Wulfric »

I'm not quite sure what's so good about Bennet. He only won in 2010 because the repuiblicans nominated Ken Buck, he's not all that popular in his state, he's up for reelection in the same year (either meaning he'd be involved in two campaigns at once in a swing state, or would have to not run for reelection and hope that Clinton doesn't lose and therefore leave him (Bennet) out of a political job) , and it's not as if that senate seat is safe - Mike Coffman would make it Leans R; Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, or Scott Gessler would make it a Toss-Up.

Kaine would be a solid choice - popular governor and senator, ran ahead of Obama in 2012, would lock up VA for the ticket, and can appeal to liberal republicans.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:12:09 PM »

Bennett is out of the question since he's running re election, Harris too even if she wasn't running for Senate she's only a statewide AG, Booker's not ready and no wife so gay rumors will persist.

Of course, some of the "diversity" choices like Harris will end up on the short list solely for public consumption rather than because they're seriously being considered.

It would be kind of odd, though, for Harris to even participate in the vetting if she's in the middle of a Senate campaign.

Democrats and Republicans recently ran for Veep and congressional office at the same time. See Paul Ryan, Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman.

The difference is that Harris would not have been elected Senator yet.

I'm saying that that feels like a significant difference to me.  It's one thing to have long been serving in the office you're trying to get reelected to, yet looking to move up at the same time, and another to already be looking past the Senate when you're running for it for the first time.  I know she'd still be the favorite regardless, but it's an awkward look.

Not to mention that if the republicans put up someone 'strong' for the seat (Faucolner, Issa, Valadao, Swearingen), they might be able to attack Harris over it bad enough to make the senate race competitive enough where democrats end up throwing some money there that should be going to some other race.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:10:25 AM »

Another thing that we can think is about of Hillary choosing another female, but young enough to be seen as VP. This can be Maggie Hassan, Heitkamp, Klobuchar, McCaskill or Baldwin would be options.

Hassan and Klobuchar, yes. Picking Baldwin is risky as she's very liberal and may alienate swing voters.

McCaskill and Heitkamp are outright NO's for the clinton vetting team for one simple reason: Without them, their senate seat flips.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:37:21 AM »

Bennet.  - Mike Coffman would make it Leans R; Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, or Scott Gessler would make it a Toss-Up.

Coffman makes it Lean R? Nope. Maybe tossup.

Not to mention that if the republicans put up someone 'strong' for the seat (Faucolner, Issa, Valadao, Swearingen), they might be able to attack Harris over it bad enough to make the senate race competitive enough where democrats end up throwing some money there that should be going to some other race.

Nope. Wrong again. You aren't doing so well in this topic - you're batting 0 for 2.

1. Bennet is nowhere near popular in Colorado, and Coffman just won reelection by 9 points against a very strong challenger, significantly outperforming Gardner in his district. He also won narrowly in 2012 despite Obama winning his district 52-47. He has real crossover support in his district, and I fail to see why you think Bennett, who wouldn't be in the senate if Republicans hadn't nominated a nutjob last time around, would possibly start with an edge over Coffman.

2. Considering the democrats spent money in the OREGON and MICHIGAN senate races last cycle (actually true) even though they ended up being nowhere near competitive, I won't be surprised if they do throw money at California if the republicans put up someone who can poll within 10 points or so, which the four candidates I mentioned can definitely do.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »

Bennet.  - Mike Coffman would make it Leans R; Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, or Scott Gessler would make it a Toss-Up.

Coffman makes it Lean R? Nope. Maybe tossup.

Nope. Wrong again. You aren't doing so well in this topic - you're batting 0 for 2.

1. Bennet is nowhere near popular in Colorado, and Coffman just won reelection by 9 points against a very strong challenger, significantly outperforming Gardner in his district. He also won narrowly in 2012 despite Obama winning his district 52-47. He has real crossover support in his district, and I fail to see why you think Bennett, who wouldn't be in the senate if Republicans hadn't nominated a nutjob last time around, would possibly start with an edge over Coffman.

2. Considering the democrats spent money in the OREGON and MICHIGAN senate races last cycle (actually true) even though they ended up being nowhere near competitive, I won't be surprised if they do throw money at California if the republicans put up someone who can poll within 10 points or so, which the four candidates I mentioned can definitely do.

No, wrong again. That's not how politics works. You're now batting 0-3. Not even the Arizona Diamondbacks would take you at this point.
If you think I'm wrong, then offer counterarguments. If all you're going to do is sit there and yell 'wrong' and attack me, then there's no need for you to post.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »

I think Heinrich or Julian Castro or Tim Kaine will be picked to be the VP candidate, Michael Bennett wouldn't be ideal, because he is running for reelection.

But Clinton doesn't need a heavyweight as a VP candidate anyways, she has Bill and he knows how to win, and it would just compliment her.

Really?!?! Where was he in 2008 when she lost the primary to a one term senator? Guess he wasn't around.
This time, Clinton's team plans to use Bill on the trail.

If 2014 is any indication, Bill won't be much help though...
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »

I think Heinrich or Julian Castro or Tim Kaine will be picked to be the VP candidate, Michael Bennett wouldn't be ideal, because he is running for reelection.

But Clinton doesn't need a heavyweight as a VP candidate anyways, she has Bill and he knows how to win, and it would just compliment her.

Really?!?! Where was he in 2008 when she lost the primary to a one term senator? Guess he wasn't around.
This time, Clinton's team plans to use Bill on the trail.

If 2014 is any indication, Bill won't be much help though...

Ι remember Bill doing pretty good in 2012.

Seriously, Martin Heinrich is the perfect choice for her.

• Young white male
• From western state with huge Latino population
• Will have 8 years in congress (4 in house, 4 in Senate)
• Bland enough to play second fiddle, but not too much to be un excited about

Except the fact that if he becomes VP then Martinez will appoint a Republican to his seat.
Unless Martinez appoints herself or Heather Wilson, the democrats will likely win it back in 2018.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies