VA-Rasmussen: McCain up 11 against Obama, 22 against Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:53:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  VA-Rasmussen: McCain up 11 against Obama, 22 against Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: VA-Rasmussen: McCain up 11 against Obama, 22 against Clinton  (Read 3930 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »

Again, Webb won that Senate race mainly because Allen screwed up, not because he was a tremendous candidate. Allen was up by 20% until macaca-gate.

Allen was also a hugely popular former governor whose family had a long history with the state (his dad having  been a famous football coach)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 01:16:06 AM »

Again, Webb won that Senate race mainly because Allen screwed up, not because he was a tremendous candidate. Allen was up by 20% until macaca-gate.

it was much closer to ten.

and even with macaca, Harris Miller would not have won or come terribly close.  Webb was a good candidate.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »

I like how the same people who moan when the Obama hacks get all excited or worried about one poll are doing the same thing over this poll. Have some standards people.

My analysis is the same as always: One poll, several months out, a lot can happen.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 05:44:01 AM »

Then again, Rasmussen does have a right-leaning early game.

And you know this, how, exactly?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »

The only - only - proof that Rasmussen has a right-leaning bias is the fact that it's all out on its lonesome this year.  It was fine in 2004 (a barely noticeable GOP bias at most).  That being said, it really is pretty off on its own this year, and that's pretty reasonable evidence.  Rasmussen having a GOP tilt this year is probably not an unreasonable assumption to make.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 12:19:52 PM »

The only - only - proof that Rasmussen has a right-leaning bias is the fact that it's all out on its lonesome this year.  It was fine in 2004 (a barely noticeable GOP bias at most).  That being said, it really is pretty off on its own this year, and that's pretty reasonable evidence.  Rasmussen having a GOP tilt this year is probably not an unreasonable assumption to make.

I'm always suspicious of the kind of reasoning that goes "I know that the election result/popular opinion is X, so if the polls differ, they're biased" You can't really tell bias before the election, only afterwards. Most of those other polls are worse than Rasmussen, imo, which makes me very marginally inclined, at best, to trust them to reflect the state of the race. After all, most American pollsters suck. Of course, if he's still using the same hard-weight I guess he would be off. But that seems too dumb a thing for him to do.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »

Excellent point about not being able to tell about whether a poll is biased until AFTER an election.

I'll never forget the night before the 2000 election, I went to bed feeling pretty good after seeng Rasmussen's final numbers showing Bush up 7 or so.  After the election you could see where Rasmussen's numbers had been off all along.  AFTER.

I was pretty pessimistic the night before the 2004 when I saw Rasmussen's numbers showing Bush up only 2.  Well, he won by 2.5 and it was only obvious the DAY AFTER that Scott Rasmussen had indeed gottn it right throughout  the election year.

In other words, nobody can say until AFTER the election whose polls were biased one way or the other.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 02:11:30 PM »

Excellent point about not being able to tell about whether a poll is biased until AFTER an election.

I'll never forget the night before the 2000 election, I went to bed feeling pretty good after seeng Rasmussen's final numbers showing Bush up 7 or so.  After the election you could see where Rasmussen's numbers had been off all along.  AFTER.

I was pretty pessimistic the night before the 2004 when I saw Rasmussen's numbers showing Bush up only 2.  Well, he won by 2.5 and it was only obvious the DAY AFTER that Scott Rasmussen had indeed gottn it right throughout  the election year.

In other words, nobody can say until AFTER the election whose polls were biased one way or the other.

Thank you. Another example was Gallup in 2004, who had a good reputation but blew most of the state polls that year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »

Although, really, you can only ever prove whether the final pre-election polls are right or wrong.  Just because a pollster nails it in their final poll, it doesn't mean that they were accurately tracking the race before that.  Unfortunately, there's just no way to test whether polls taken months in advance of the election are an accurate reflection of where things stand at that time.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »

Although, really, you can only ever prove whether the final pre-election polls are right or wrong.  Just because a pollster nails it in their final poll, it doesn't mean that they were accurately tracking the race before that.  Unfortunately, there's just no way to test whether polls taken months in advance of the election are an accurate reflection of where things stand at that time.

No, that's true. But once you've seen some electino results you can make fairly reasonably assumptions. For instance, I would say with some certainty that those ARG polls from the summer that differed with all other polls, were probably wrong too and it further proves how bad they are.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »

Actually, in the case of Rasmussen 2000, you could go back in his daily polls and over the fall his numbers on a daily basis were 5 or 6 pts optimistic in comparison to other polls taken during the same time frame.  The only time he had Gore ahead was for a one week stretch in early September before the first debate.  Sure nuff, the LA Times, NBC, and Gallup had Gore up double digits during that same time..  Rasmussen consistantly tracked the same ups and downs picked up by the other polls but always that same 6 or so points too optimistic for the Bush side.

In other words his tracking was wrong but consistantly wrong by the same spread all thu the campaign.

Rasmussen is to be commended because he obviously fixed things between the two elections.  Whether he's got things right this election cycle there is no way of knowing for sure until we see the election returns.  In other words, Gustaf is exactly right that the only way to know for sure is to wait for the balloting and then compare.  Anyone who says Rasmussen or anyone else leans too far one way or the other is just guessing.  He could indeed be flawed ala 2000, but how would you know at this point?
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »

LMAO @ the thought of Virginia ever voting for black liberal senator from Chicago for president.   

LOL
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies