Kathy Hochul apologizes after gaffe ("...black kids don't know the word "computer" ")
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:53:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kathy Hochul apologizes after gaffe ("...black kids don't know the word "computer" ")
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kathy Hochul apologizes after gaffe ("...black kids don't know the word "computer" ")  (Read 689 times)
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2024, 06:23:59 AM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13390415/Kathy-Hochul-apology-claim-Black-kids-Bronx-computer.html

Governor Kathy Hochul was forced to apologize after making a controversial claim that 'young Black kids growing up in the Bronx who don't even know what the word "computer" is'.

The New York Democrat claims she 'misspoke' when she issued the highly criticized remark at an on-stage forum in California on Monday and, in a statement later that evening, said: 'I regret it.'

She attempted to clarify the intent of her remark, alleging she was trying to highlight her focus on increasing economic opportunity for children in the Bronx, which has the highest rate of poverty in New York City.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 06:29:02 AM »

A gaffe is saying what you really think etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 06:34:12 AM »

she wears the correctly colored hat and this is pretty minor as these things go, she'll be fine.  The guy she replaced did two things WAY WAY worse and he still had people that support him and millions more that would have been more than happy to support him if enough fell in line with them.  If you're in a one party state, you can get away with a lot of dumb things.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 06:59:54 AM »

I don't know, man, maybe they do things differently in New York, but in Massachusetts and North Carolina in the 2010s, the black kids certainly did know the word "computer". I can't imagine it's that much different nearly a decade later.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 10:09:51 AM »

I don’t get her. She had a solid voting record as a Rep but suddenly decided to go all coastal elitist when she became governor. The DNC should try to talk her out of running for re-election, especially if Biden wins. There’s no other logical reason to explain why Zeldin did nearly as well as he did.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 12:25:10 PM »

She had a solid voting record as a Rep but suddenly decided to go all coastal elitist when she became governor.

Hochul doesn't really make sense if you're looking at her through this kind of lens, no, but she makes perfect sense through the lens of being a creature of the New York Democratic machine, where it's still the Clinton-Gingrich era and everybody with real ideological or moral commitments, of any kind, is a dumb Columbia sophomore who doesn't know what's good for them. In the House in the early 2010s this expressed itself as a mostly productive, collaborative, "bipartisan"-for-the-time voting record; in Albany in the mid-2020s it expresses itself as out-of-touch heavy-handedness and open alignment with property developers and people who think rural Upstate school districts somehow have too much money.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 12:30:36 PM »

I don’t get her. She had a solid voting record as a Rep but suddenly decided to go all coastal elitist when she became governor. The DNC should try to talk her out of running for re-election, especially if Biden wins. There’s no other logical reason to explain why Zeldin did nearly as well as he did.

She was too conservative as representative, but also was elected in a red district. I actually thought she had great potential at the start of her term and even as lt. governor, but otherwise I agree. However, I don't see her retiring before 2030. The weak performance in 2022 was a general issue for Democrats in New York that year. James barely did better and even Schumer had a weak result compared to all his previous runs.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 12:45:03 PM »

She was too conservative as representative, but also was elected in a red district. I actually thought she had great potential at the start of her term and even as lt. governor, but otherwise I agree. However, I don't see her retiring before 2030. The weak performance in 2022 was a general issue for Democrats in New York that year. James barely did better and even Schumer had a weak result compared to all his previous runs.

I think a successful 2026 primary challenge is a possibility. James has about the same approvals as Hochul but much lower disapprovals, and could probably raise a lot of money through various #Resistance channels, especially if it's another Trump midterm...
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 07:13:57 PM »

She was elected in a swing district that was moving Blue. 

Hochul is not from New York City.  She really didn't know the problems of NYC until she became Governor; her job before that was to keep Upstate competitive for Democrats.  Stupid pandering crap like this is what she comes up with because her knowledge of the largest Democratic constitutncies in NY State is all secondhand.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 07:42:52 PM »

Why are New York Democrats so uniquely dumb and bad? Cuomo, Bowmann, Hochul, Adams... the hell's going on over there?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 07:49:36 PM »

Why are New York Democrats so uniquely dumb and bad? Cuomo, Bowmann, Hochul, Adams... the hell's going on over there?

Schumer is pretty savvy and Gilly is decent.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 08:45:55 PM »

That wasn't the way to say it, but Black children in the Bronx certainly do have less access to computers than children in less poor boroughs. That should be acknowledged properly and not swept under the rug.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 10:39:54 PM »

She also said if Canada ever launched an attack on Buffalo, it would be a “natural reaction” to kill all Canadians and wipe the country off the map.

Once again, I ask, when will New York have a non-idiotic and non-corrupt  governor (and NYC a non-idiotic and non-corrupt mayor?

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 10:43:51 PM »

Once again, I ask, when will New York have a non-idiotic and non-corrupt  governor (and NYC a non-idiotic and non-corrupt mayor?

Said governor left office in 2006 and said mayor left office in 2013.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 01:11:12 AM »

She was elected in a swing district that was moving Blue. 

Hochul is not from New York City.  She really didn't know the problems of NYC until she became Governor; her job before that was to keep Upstate competitive for Democrats.  Stupid pandering crap like this is what she comes up with because her knowledge of the largest Democratic constitutncies in NY State is all secondhand.
Fair points.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 01:33:02 AM »

She also said if Canada ever launched an attack on Buffalo, it would be a “natural reaction” to kill all Canadians and wipe the country off the map.

I think that dems should make both a more competitive Staten Island seat and a competitive South Brooklyn seat, as it would help to incentive better candidiates for both seats. (Made both PVI +2 Dem jic). Obviously the current state dem party won't do that, as their waste of the last redistriting proccess shown.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 01:37:14 AM »

The realignment is happening.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 12:28:26 PM »

This might make her more popular on Staten Island.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 01:04:37 PM »

"Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 01:04:41 PM »

This is the sort of thing you might expect a Great Society liberal to say 40 years ago when advocating for putting more money into inner city schools.  Back then it might have sounded plausible.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 01:20:31 PM »

Hochul's the least surprising person to say something like that. She was thrust into the spotlight by circumstance and as it turned out wasn't ready for primetime. She's lucky to be in such a deep blue state or else she would have lost re-election.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 04:25:01 PM »

Olds are more likely than kids to not know about computers. I have to talk to lots olds who act like email hasn't been a thing for 30 years. Governor Racist should resign.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 06:24:28 PM »

Yikes. That's all I can say.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2024, 08:20:05 PM »

This is resignation worthy
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 08:25:17 PM »

Olds are more likely than kids to not know about computers. I have to talk to lots olds who act like email hasn't been a thing for 30 years. Governor Racist should resign.
Thinking about this reminds me of when another racist Democrat governor couldn't even resign because the next guy in the line of succession was a rapist and the guy after that was also racist.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies