Saakashvili appoints stripper to Georgian Economic Development Minister
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:49:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Saakashvili appoints stripper to Georgian Economic Development Minister
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Saakashvili appoints stripper to Georgian Economic Development Minister  (Read 1881 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:46:12 AM »

Vera Kobalia's Racy Nightclub Photo Sparks Controversy

To those who have already criticized her lack of professional experience, Georgian Economic Development Minister Vera Kobalia may now have a lot more explaining to do.

Just weeks after Kobalia was appointed to the ministerial post by Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili, a racy photograph of the 28-year-old minister, posing while atop a nightclub's bar alongside a group of other scantily-clad women, has been published by Georgian newspaper Asaval-Dasavali. According to the paper, the photograph was taken from Kobalia's Facebook page and had been shot at a Vancouver strip club in February -- around the same time Kobalia is said to have met Saakashvili, who was then in town for the Winter Olympics.

The Georgian-born Kobalia, who has lived in Canada for the past 15 years, is playing down the controversy, claiming the photo was taken while vacationing in Florida with her sister Nina almost a decade ago. "If the worst thing that the opposition or anyone else can find about me is my old picture from college," she told The Independent, "Then I don't see anything wrong with that."

Kobalia's father Otari, who owns and operates Vancouver's European Breads Bakery, has jumped to his daughter's defense. According to Otari, Kobalia managed European Breads, transforming it from a small family business into a regional wholesaler.

"I raised my kids in an ethical and right way, and they are free to do whatever they want." he told The Vancouver Sun. "I believe these girls were having fun. It was a long time ago, taken at a bachelor party."

The controversy comes on the heels of objections some high-ranking Georgians have expressed about Kobalia's lack of political experience. "I think anyone could find someone in their family who was far more experienced and qualified in this field than Ms. Kobalia," Nodar Dzhavakhishvili, the former head of the Georgian National Bank, said at the time.

But in an effort to wipe out the country's Soviet legacy, Saakashvili has made a habit of appointing ministers in their 20s and 30s. "The plan is to have nobody in government who served during the Soviet period," Saakashvili told reporters last autumn. "Some of them don't even remember the Soviet period."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/29/vera-kobalias-racy-nightc_n_663523.html

Tongue Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:54:56 AM »

I don't think "stripper" is the correct term here.  Clearly there are two "professionals" and three "regular girls out for a good time" on that stage/bar.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »

I don't think "stripper" is the correct term here.  Clearly there are two "professionals" and three "regular girls out for a good time" on that stage/bar.

The OP knows. He's attracting you-know-who here.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:01 AM »

She went to a strip club once and did a fun pose on stage with a couple of strippers? This may be the most non-scandalous scandal I've ever seen...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »

Now that's the kind of Change I want to see........
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:00:16 AM »

Too bad she's not really a stripper. If she was my opinion of this country would shoot up even further. You would never see the fascists in charge of Russia appoint strippers to any position, or those thugs in South Ossetia.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

28-year-old?

Frankly, that grabbed my attention more than anything else.  Saakashvili is putting 28-year-olds in position of high authority?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »

Saakashvili is putting 28-year-olds in position of high authority?

No. The only position of high authority in his government is held by him himself.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »

Saakashvili is putting 28-year-olds in position of high authority?

No. The only position of high authority in his government is held by him himself.

Well-put.  I withdraw my comment, though I still think it's amusing he's this blatant about it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »

Obama's speechwriter was 26.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »

28-year-old?

Frankly, that grabbed my attention more than anything else.  Saakashvili is putting 28-year-olds in position of high authority?

Was explained in the original article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »

LOL, in relation to this thread I was reading up on Mikheil Saakashvili on Wikipedia and discovered that Renny Harlin (best known for "Die Hard 2") is currently directing a movie about the 2008 Russian-Georgian war, starring Andy Garcia (as Saakashvili) and Val Kilmer. You gotta be kidding me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_%282010_film%29
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 04:50:41 PM »

Non-issue.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »

LOL, in relation to this thread I was reading up on Mikheil Saakashvili on Wikipedia and discovered that Renny Harlin (best known for "Die Hard 2") is currently directing a movie about the 2008 Russian-Georgian war, starring Andy Garcia (as Saakashvili) and Val Kilmer. You gotta be kidding me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_%282010_film%29

I will see it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies