American Women are having more Abortions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:02:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American Women are having more Abortions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: American Women are having more Abortions  (Read 2917 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »

The number of patients seeking abortions in the U.S. rose in 2020, reversing some 30 years of decline in the number of abortions.

That finding, in a report released by the Guttmacher Institute on Wednesday, comes as the Supreme Court appears poised to overturn decades of precedent guaranteeing abortion rights.

The number of abortions recorded by Guttmacher's Abortion Provider Census rose to 930,160 in 2020, an 8% increase compared with 2017, the last time the data was collected.

"The long-term decline in abortion is over, and the number of abortions in the United States is actually increasing," said Rachel K. Jones, a research scientist who co-authored an analysis of the data for Guttmacher, a research group that supports abortion rights.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/15/1105037393/with-roe-on-the-precipice-americans-are-having-more-abortions
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 01:43:38 PM »

im just curious as to why that it is?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 01:45:49 PM »

im just curious as to why that it is?

The report lists several potential factors that may have contributed to the increase, including increased abortion access in some states through Medicaid expansion or the growth of abortion funds that help low-income people cover the costs of obtaining an abortion.

The report also notes that the Trump administration's overhaul of the federal Title X family planning program in 2019 prompted some health centers to withdraw, which resulted in fewer patients receiving contraception through the program.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 01:47:03 PM »

As is their prerogative.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »

2020 was a tumultuous year. The answer probably has something to do with that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 03:35:54 PM »

2020 was a tumultuous year. The answer probably has something to do with that.

And even when abortion became illegal due to COVID restrictions.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 03:40:12 PM »

Abortion statistics over time tend to track violent crime rates, right? So this makes a certain amount of sense in terms of what you would expect.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 03:40:46 PM »

This is why we must overturn Roe vs. Wade.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 03:53:24 PM »

Great news. Good to see Americans crawling out of the Bronze Age.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 04:15:42 PM »

Why wouldn't they? This country is absolutely crazy. If conservatives want to end abortion, they need to make this country a more pleasant place to raise a family in.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 04:21:17 PM »

Why wouldn't they? This country is absolutely crazy. If conservatives want to end abortion, they need to make this country a more pleasant place to raise a family in.
Well yeah unless you believe that trying to put everyone in jail will make people have more kids.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 04:45:18 PM »

I've said it before and others as well, that you will never stop women from having abortions. No matter how much you legislate and throw morality into the mix, women will find a way to have abortions. And there are lots of men who do not wish to be fathers, so when a women has an abortion it lets the guy off the hook as well. When they tinker with Roe v Wade to the point where it affects everyday women from exercising her freedom in a safe way, there will be a backlash. You can count on it. And I can't wait to see it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »

So much for "safe, legal, and rare"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 05:22:07 PM »

Put 200 women in a room, and only 1 of them had an abortion in 2020.  That's pretty rare, I'd say.

It's the "safe" and "legal" part that currently remains the most under threat.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 05:24:41 PM »

Put 200 women in a room, and only 1 of them had an abortion in 2020.  That's pretty rare, I'd say.

There's also the false promise of "more abortion access = less abortions" but clearly the activists gave up on that too and somehow think more abortions is a good thing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 05:26:22 PM »

There's also the false promise of "more abortion access = less abortions" but clearly the activists gave up on that too and somehow think more abortions is a good thing.

Well, this is the same country that believes "more guns = less gun violence", so I don't know what else to tell you.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 05:40:06 PM »

Well, this is the same country that believes "more guns = less gun violence", so I don't know what else to tell you.

Most supporters of gun rights don't want to have a reason to use their gun on another human, and acknowlege gun violence is evil. Most abortion supporters want it to become easier to kill their own offspring and see it as a moral good.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2022, 07:30:11 PM by hermit »

Most supporters of gun rights don't want to have a reason to use their gun on another human, and acknowlege gun violence is evil. Most abortion supporters want it to become easier to kill their own offspring and see it as a moral good.

You aren't "killing offspring" if the fetus hasn't popped out yet into the real world. That's the same argument people make that we are "killing babies" when women have abortions.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 07:32:00 PM »

Here's something interesting. Reasons why women get abortions. Kind of an old study, but I'll bet the same reasons apply today.

Why women have abortions

In a 2004 survey of 957 women having an abortion, one in four said their most important reason for having the procedure was that they weren't ready for a child or the timing was wrong.

Not ready for a(nother) child/Timing is wrong   25%
Can’t afford a baby now   23%
Have completed my childbearing/Have other people depending on me/Children are grown   19%
Don’t want to be a single mother or am having relationship problems   8%
Don’t feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child/Feel too young   7%
Would interfere with education or career plans   4%
Physical problem with my health   4%
Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus   3%
Other   6%

https://givingcompass.org/article/the-demographic-breakdown-of-women-who-are-getting-abortions
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »

You aren't "killing offspring" if the fetus hasn't popped out yet into the real world. That's the same argument people make that we are "killing babies" when women have abortions.

If you want to deny the fact that the child in your womb is your offspring, you're more than welcome to do so. But that doesnt change the fact that it is still your offspring, you are still their mother, and it's pretty anti-science (and anti-natalist) to claim otherwise.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 07:42:49 PM »

Here's something interesting. Reasons why women get abortions. Kind of an old study, but I'll bet the same reasons apply today.

Why women have abortions

In a 2004 survey of 957 women having an abortion, one in four said their most important reason for having the procedure was that they weren't ready for a child or the timing was wrong.

Not ready for a(nother) child/Timing is wrong 25%
Can’t afford a baby now 23%
Have completed my childbearing/Have other people depending on me/Children are grown 19%
Don’t want to be a single mother or am having relationship problems 8%
Don’t feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child/Feel too young 7%
Would interfere with education or career plans 4%
Physical problem with my health 4%
Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus 3%
Other 6%

https://givingcompass.org/article/the-demographic-breakdown-of-women-who-are-getting-abortions

Do you believe those are valid reasons to end the life of a child already born? After all, the physical location of the child matters little if those reasons are legitimate, wouldn't you say?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 08:06:16 PM »

I don't understand why conservatives insist on fewer abortions while making the country worse to live in. You could reduce abortion rates massively by providing paid parental leave, but conservatives somehow think that's a bad idea.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2022, 08:16:01 PM »

I don't understand why conservatives insist on fewer abortions while making the country worse to live in. You could reduce abortion rates massively by providing paid parental leave, but conservatives somehow think that's a bad idea.

And if anything, access to birth control was reduced in 2020 and this abortion rate includes time when abortion was illegal due to COVID.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2022, 09:38:18 PM »

Are you so lacking conviction in your own beliefs that you don't think you are capable of persuading a woman who is seeking an abortion to change her mind?

Why don't you try to make more women not want abortions instead of trying to take away the choice by force?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2022, 10:07:30 PM »

Why women have abortions

Not ready for a(nother) child/Timing is wrong 25%
Can’t afford a baby now 23%
Have completed my childbearing/Have other people depending on me/Children are grown 19%
Don’t want to be a single mother or am having relationship problems 8%
Don’t feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child/Feel too young 7%
Would interfere with education or career plans 4%
Physical problem with my health 4%
Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus 3%
Other 6%

Do you believe those are valid reasons to end the life of a child already born? After all, the physical location of the child matters little if those reasons are legitimate, wouldn't you say?

We are not talking about a child that is already born. That's a whole different ballgame.

You don't have to agree that these reasons are legitimate, but it's reality. And they are legitimate to the women having an abortion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies