I hate our 'opinionated' society. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:53:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I hate our 'opinionated' society. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I hate our 'opinionated' society.  (Read 3629 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: August 12, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

Okay. I have something to say now Smiley

I hate living in a world where all debate is permeated by 'opinions'

We live in a world of different opinions, where one opinion stands against another opinion and you know, while facts may stand against it, it's 'just my opinion' so it has some justification and should be taken as a serious point. Bullsh-t. There are facts, fallacies and stances that inform your viewpoint and influence your stated position or opinion. You may have an informed stance or an uninformed stance based on a fact or a fallacy. And when a fact is a fact it is not up for discussion.

So when the fallacy that is held to be true or anecdotal by someone is challenged by hard fact do we get a climbdown? No, it is in human nature to be stubborn even when wrong and I accept that. Instead we get the response 'it's just my opinion' and in democratic society all opinions are of some relevance and should be given some consideration. So instead of throwing a fallacy out of a window because it is proven to be wrong, we try and accommodate it into the democratic dialogue. As such we allow 'opinions' to circulate and influence society even when they are bull.

Why are we so afraid to say; 'Your opinion is wrong'. Or 'your opinion is not valid because it is proven to be wrong', or even 'you are wrong and it affects your opinion so your opinion is not valid.'
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies