Why hasn't the forum figured this out yet?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why hasn't the forum figured this out yet?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why hasn't the forum figured this out yet?  (Read 991 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »

When I say a city's name I ALWAYS mean ONLY the area within the city limits and absolutely NOTHING else. I will NEVER refer to any area outside of city limits as being part of the city.

I thought that should've been obvious actually.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »

K. Thx.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »

When I say a city's name I ALWAYS mean ONLY the area within the city limits and absolutely NOTHING else. I will NEVER refer to any area outside of city limits as being part of the city.

Because there is such a thing as the Minneapolis/St. Paul Metropolitan Area that often is referred to just as "Minneapolis" by Minnesotans or "the Cities" or the "Twin Cities".

When you say Minneapolis, I think the whole metro area.  I've lived in Minnesota my entire life.  Thank you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

Because there is such a thing as the Minneapolis/St. Paul Metropolitan Area that often is referred to just as "Minneapolis" by Minnesotans or "the Cities" or the "Twin Cities".

When you say Minneapolis, I think the whole metro area.  I've lived in Minnesota my entire life.  Thank you.

Do you know how pissed off St. Paulites would get over that? Ha.

BTW I have never heard a Minnesotan refer to the entire area as just "Minneapolis" or even "Twin Cities" for that matter, (the local "The Cities" term is all that's ever used.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »

Seriously though, can you imagine someone going to Woodbury saying that they were going to Minneapolis?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »

hmmm... well I have.  Many many many times.  Maybe people in the Cities don't just say "Minneapolis" when talking to other Twin Citians, but if a guy from New York asked you where you're from, and you're from St. Louis Park... you'd either say "the Twin Cities" or "Minneapolis"

Nobody cares about St. Paul.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 11:57:18 AM »

hmmm... well I have.  Many many many times.  Maybe people in the Cities don't just say "Minneapolis" when talking to other Twin Citians, but if a guy from New York asked you where you're from, and you're from St. Louis Park... you'd either say "the Twin Cities" or "Minneapolis"

Nobody cares about St. Paul.

Even people from Minneapolis don't say they're from Minneapolis, they say what region or neighborhood they're from. I'm from "near Uptown".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »

You don't get it, do you?

If I was in a different state talking to somebody and they asked where I was from and I was from Minneapolis, I would say Minneapolis.  It would be retarded to say "OMG yeah I'm from the Warehouse district."

Now if they have some kind of a connection to Minneapolis and they ask what part of Minneapolis I'm from, then I'd say exactly where.

When I was in Europe, people would ask "where are you from" and I'd say "Minnesota" and they'd say "Minne-wha?" and I'd say "In der Mitte, ganz im Norden, zu der Grenze von Kanada" and they would say "oooooh... okay"  Then they would ask if I voted for Bush. 
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »

kthx
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »

If I was in a different state talking to somebody and they asked where I was from and I was from Minneapolis, I would say Minneapolis.  It would be retarded to say "OMG yeah I'm from the Warehouse district."

Now if they have some kind of a connection to Minneapolis and they ask what part of Minneapolis I'm from, then I'd say exactly where.

When I was in Europe, people would ask "where are you from" and I'd say "Minnesota" and they'd say "Minne-wha?" and I'd say "In der Mitte, ganz im Norden, zu an der Grenze von zuKanada" and they would say "oooooh... okay"  Then they would ask if I voted for Bush. 

sorry to be a grammar nazi....Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »

LOL
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:25 PM »

When I was in Europe, people would ask "where are you from" and I'd say "Minnesota" and they'd say "Minne-wha?" and I'd say "In der Mitte, ganz im Norden, zu an der Grenze von zuKanada" and they would say "oooooh... okay"  Then they would ask if I voted for Bush. 

sorry to be a grammar nazi....Smiley

yeah thanks.  Prepositions are a bitch.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »

Funny thread, this.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 12:55:02 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »

I was born and grew up in Illinios, but I tell everybody I'm from St.Louis.  Nobody knows where Alton or Godfrey is.  Well, Franzl does.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »

I was born and grew up in Illinios, but I tell everybody I'm from St.Louis.  Nobody knows where Alton or Godfrey is.  Well, Franzl does.

Yes! And taking BRTD as my role model: DON'T YOU EVER REFER TO THAT AS SAINT LOUIS! ALTON IS ALTON, YOU HEAR ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 02:41:41 PM »

Well to be fair, some people know where Alton is as it has a couple of claims to fame:last Lincoln/Douglas debate and Robert Wadlow...also, birthplace of Miles Davis, Craig Hentrich and James Earl Ray.  We're also proud of the fact for like 20 minutes in 1840 something it was bigger that St.Louis.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies