Pope Francis attacks SSM (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:39:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pope Francis attacks SSM (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis attacks SSM  (Read 4073 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 16, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
« edited: January 16, 2015, 07:34:22 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Pope is Catholic. More at 11. Also source is biased and hyperbolic; again cherrypicking.

Wrong section.

His quote is hyperbolic, unless it's mistranslated.  "Ideological colonization that we have to be careful about that is trying to destroy the family"?  There's not the faintest hint of compassion or understanding here.  It's entirely political rhetoric, reflects no interest or recognition of the actual motivations of the cause, and is the sort of thing he's normally been good at avoiding.

You're playing Press Secretary here a little much, bro.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »

Pope is Catholic. More at 11. Also source is biased and hyperbolic; again cherrypicking.

Wrong section.

His quote is hyperbolic, unless it's mistranslated.  "Ideological colonization that we have to be careful about that is trying to destroy the family"?  There's not the faintest hint of compassion or understanding here.  It's entirely political rhetoric, reflects no interest or recognition of the actual motivations of the cause, and is the sort of thing he's normally been good at avoiding.

You're playing Press Secretary here a little much, bro.
Your description of Pope Frank's argument makes it seem as though he doesn't agree in spirit with his argument, so he took the most generic church line on the subject possible to thinly veil his distaste.  Or perhaps I am being to kind to the Pope?

Eh, he may genuinely believe that they are "trying to destroy the family," but I doubt it.  I also don't think he intentionally spoke in a disingenuous way.  I think he was basically just saying that the things they're trying to do are destroying the family, but said it poorly, and ended up sounding antagonistic toward well-intentioned people.  But that sort of unnecessary antagonism is the sort he's been really good at avoiding.  I think he slipped here -- not misspoke, but missed an opportunity to keep up his admirable record of being universally compassionate, even when he disagrees with something.

Hope that makes sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies