DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:42:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271970 times)
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

This is the GOP's fault. This is OANN's fault. But to blame every person who cast a vote for Trump is, (and I HATE using this comparison because it's lazy), tantamount to disparaging the character of every person who supported Hitler because they were deluded to believe he was the right thing for their country.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice.

You are right. And that's where this country has gone. I'm ing ashamed
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 05:07:25 PM »

This is the GOP's fault. This is OANN's fault. But to blame every person who cast a vote for Trump is, (and I HATE using this comparison because it's lazy), tantamount to disparaging the character of every person who supported Hitler because they were deluded to believe he was the right thing for their country.

Or, you know, we could actually hold people accountable for their own actions. It isn't hard to use basic critical thinking skills.

You know--personal responsibility and all that.

On a personal level, you are right. And every single one of these protestors should be tried for treason.

But on a grander scale, considering the behavior of a population over the course of years, it starts at the top. Little lies become acceptable, and they add up to big lies. When you trust a president, or a news source, basic critical thinking goes out the window, because why would you not trust the same people you've trusted for years? The problem is, they don't even realize it. Its like the old adage about boiling frogs in water. How many of these deranged crazies were/are normal, reasonable people before this?
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 05:10:06 PM »

Probably a naïve hope, but I really hope a slew of Republicans come forward and denounce this on a MUCH deeper level than the violence.  It HAS to be recognized that Donald Trump, in a position of almost unlimited power and influence, has literally encouraged this type of despicable behavior.  If I'm a Republican politician, I'm frankly no longer worried about the "Trumpist base" primarying me or whatever.  This is beyond the pale.  If you are worried about having to explain why you condemned THIS of all things in 2-4 years, you're insane.

I am worried. Trumpism is a cancer that has grown so big it is now indistinguishable from the party itself. How can you root out the evil when it is is pervasive?
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:12:21 PM »

How many of these deranged crazies were/are normal, reasonable people before this?

Honestly, I have no idea.

Me too. That scares me because it could very well be my mother out there. I've never seen such a widespread dissonance between reality and fantasy as in the past two months.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:15:13 PM »

Y'all probably already saw this but Rep. Cori Bush is calling for the expulsion of the "coup caucus"

They deserve it. But practically, it cannot and should not ever happen. Because it will lead to more strife and more pain, as the crazies will see nothing but the "radical left" persecuting true patriots or some garbage. And so those fools Cruz and Hawley who helped pry open this Pandora's Box of insanity will get off scot free and can adjust their public image accordingly after the fact.

It's horrible.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »

Y'all probably already saw this but Rep. Cori Bush is calling for the expulsion of the "coup caucus"

They deserve it. But practically, it cannot and should not ever happen. Because it will lead to more strife and more pain, as the crazies will see nothing but the "radical left" persecuting true patriots or some garbage. And so those fools Cruz and Hawley who helped pry open this Pandora's Box of insanity will get off scot free and can adjust their public image accordingly after the fact.

It's horrible.

These crazy will see the "radical left" persecuting true patriots no matter what happens. All it took for them to assault the government was a fair and free election that didn't go their way. There's zero point in trying to pander to these people, they will just see what they want to see. They're the same people who think Joe Biden of all people is a radical leftist.

Exactly. And if we go so far as to do something like this, legal and justified it may be, totally unprecedented since the Civil War?

Well, it'll be civil war.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 05:47:57 PM »

Trump is a murderer
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »

Impeach, convict and remove Pres. Trump. He is a stain on our republic.

Conservatives who respect the rule of law, love their fellow man and support the principles of liberal democracy should, have and will denounce the travesty and treasonous behavior that is ongoing today.

Any Conservative who defends this insanity is unhinged and an extremist. You will not define us, we will kick you out.  

If you are in DC, please stay home if you can, please stay safe, hug your loved ones. Praying for you and DC. Praying for our country.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm still a Republican. These past four years, I've wondered a lot.

And here's where I stand.

Conservatism is not beyond salvation. The GOP might be, but I'm not willing to call it yet. Maybe it's naive of me to associate myself with people who incite violence and spread lies, because I do not identify with those people at all and really see very little in common with them. And the fact that I am a Republican does mean I am implicitly complicit in these actions, I understand that.

But if people like us all leave the party, what is there left but a deranged, frothing husk of what used to be a bastion of American conservatism. It will be beyond redemption. And maybe, just maybe, if I stick around I can know for certain it's not 100% gone. Probably naive of me. But I'm not ready to let go just yet.

The GOP is sick and dying. It needs to be saved from itself, because it is a cancer on our nation and corrupting people to serve evil. Me keeping a blue avatar doesn't mean sh**t in the grand scheme of things, but it's my way of saying that maybe one day the party that was once the GOP can be fixed, and the animals who have taken it over can be vanquished. It may take decades, but we have to try. Because having all the rational people on one side is never healthy for discourse.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 07:15:31 PM »

We're not talking about Trump voters views in retrospect. Any Trump voter who doesn't at this point forward regret having voted for him - - I won't even get into the fact that this should have been a parent and a decision made numerous numerous times over the last five years - - deserve every level of scorn and derision that traitors deserve. Likewise, any Republican who doesn't want to see the nearly 200 members of Congress plus whatever Governor's, state representatives, Etc who actively Aid and abet Trump's inciting this attempted coup, is likewise just as guilty.

In short, if today any Trump supporter or Republican who regrets there prior support for Trump, as well as the 98% of Republicans who cuddled and encouraged him, want to see the Republican party truly change, that is really, honestly, and absolutely cleanse itself of trumpism and all the authoritarian anti-democratic Cult of Personality thuggery involved with it, then kudos to them.

Anything short of that, f*** you and the horse you rode in on, traitor.

I agree 100%. If you can't see that the GOP has turned into nothing but a cult of personality and a shameless, cowardly shell of what it used to be, then you are in denial. I hope that this event is what triggers some of these lawmakers to do an about-face, and I know they won't get what they deserve, but a late repentance is better than nothing.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 07:29:30 PM »

Josh Hawley has never come across to me as a very intelligent person.

Really? He comes across to me as a very intelligent individual, whose actions and words are carefully calculated to pander to the Trump wing of the party in order to jumpstart his 2024 bid for the presidency.

Let's dispel with this notion that Hawley doesn't know what he's doing... etc
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »

Josh Hawley has never come across to me as a very intelligent person.

Really? He comes across to me as a very intelligent individual, whose actions and words are carefully calculated to pander to the Trump wing of the party in order to jumpstart his 2024 bid for the presidency.

Let's dispel with this notion that Hawley doesn't know what he's doing... etc

He's not dumb but he makes All Gore look like Obama charisma wise. I also doubt he could work Trump's 2016 magic with secular whites.

Oh yeah for sure, which makes this stunt he pulled even worse. He's gonna be a non starter in the primary and will have fanned the flames of insurrection for probably nothing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies