Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:34:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting.  (Read 3450 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 27, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »

In many countries it's a value in itself that people vote.

The GOP will not be happy until it has an effective monopoly on political power. There will be tolerated minor parties that know their places for window-dressing, but 70% of all votes will go you-know-where. People will know how their employers expect them to vote, although there could be safe places where Democrats might win House seats -- like the South Bronx, Harlem, the South Side of Chicago, Watts, maybe a rural district here and there in Mississippi or Alabama all to create the illusion that the United States still has some pluralism. Parties might be divided along ethnic or religious lines so that there is a "black" Party, a "Hispanic" party, and maybe a "Chinese", "Jewish", or "Muslim" party. Maybe on 'professional' lines, as in distinct parties for accountants, engineers, teachers, or physicians.

But if one works for a big corporation one knows how to vote... maybe one's employer makes the decision for you in secret. After all, there will still be a secret ballot -- one so secret that even the voter dares not know how he 'votes'.     
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »

Do you actually believe that crap?

I regret that I must.  The Republican Party is becoming an authoritarian party, one intent only on consolidating power on behalf of its financial backers. If anything it is the front groups (like Club for Growth, Freedom Works, and Americans for Prosperity that flood the airwaves with Orwellian propaganda as the election approaches. That Republican pols accept the aid of such groups
indicate that winning means more than service.

I wish that I could believe otherwise. May I be proved wrong on Election Night 2016. I have read of democracy dying in other countries, and I see much of the same pattern here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies