Greece General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:56:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greece General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Author Topic: Greece General Discussion  (Read 46798 times)
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »

New Democracy - which was completely humiliated after the failure of the Nai campaign, which they threw a lot of their resources, infrastructure and general machinery at - may have a female leader of its own. Dora Bakoyanni, a member of the liberal wing (you might remember her leading one of the million tiny liberal parties that splintered off ND at the start of the crisis) apparently wants the job - she was the runner-up when Samaras (a more traditional rightist) was chosen.
Notably the daughter of Konstantinos Mitsotakis prime minister in the early 90s, who was toppled by non other than Samaras! who formed his own party and withdrew support over Mitsotakis not taking a hardline on the whole Macedonia thing
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »

Tsipras wants a snap election as soon as agreement is reached on the third bailout. Mulling either Sept. 13 or 20.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »

ECB adds 900M of ELA.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »

Guardian reporting of rumours in Athens that Left Platform might form a breakaway party, which Tsipras welcomes.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »

My dream election of Tsipras (pro bailout coalition) vs Varoufakis (anti bailout coalition) is coming closer to reality Cheesy
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »

This seems to originate from German media bureau MNI citing an anonymous source.

The ND caretaker leader wants new leader elected by a primary on August 30. Will announce the procedure on Friday - speculation Samaras might try a comeback..

http://www.ekathimerini.com/199816/article/ekathimerini/news/meimarakis-set-to-propose-election-of-new-nd-chief
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »

WSJ also saying a SYRIZA schism is expected, though not till the party's national congress this fall. Suggesting a snap election would be later in the fall.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »

This seems to originate from German media bureau MNI citing an anonymous source.

The ND caretaker leader wants new leader elected by a primary on August 30. Will announce the procedure on Friday - speculation Samaras might try a comeback..

http://www.ekathimerini.com/199816/article/ekathimerini/news/meimarakis-set-to-propose-election-of-new-nd-chief

Says who? Samaras is out for good and won't be missed by anyone.

Doubtful. The Troika will probably dissuade Tsipras from that and tell him to wait till October, after the first assessment of how the program goes.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »

Says who? Samaras is out for good and won't be missed by anyone.

Doubtful. The Troika will probably dissuade Tsipras from that and tell him to wait till October, after the first assessment of how the program goes.

The artice doesn't say who - it just refers to "reports on Wednesday."(see the link)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »

Oh hey Lyndon, thought you'd vanished, or got sent to a gulag or something. How's your area of Greece holding up?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »

Parliament just enacted the next batch of reforms. 4 of last week's defectors voted with the government.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »

Looking at the recent polls, at the very least I'm glad the Greek people have yet to lose their sanity, based on the GD/ANEL/KKE numbers.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2015, 10:22:12 PM »

Looking at the recent polls, at the very least I'm glad the Greek people have yet to lose their sanity, based on the GD/ANEL/KKE numbers.

I, actually, quite admire the Greeks. They are dealing with the situation better than I would have expected.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2015, 05:09:31 AM »

Oh hey Lyndon, thought you'd vanished, or got sent to a gulag or something. How's your area of Greece holding up?

I wish I could just vanish. These two weeks, from the announcement of the referendum to the voting of the first austerity package, were a living hell for me and everyone else who wants our country to stay in the EU and doesn't want it to become Hoxha's Albania.
There were days when I was literally paralyzed with fear.  
Retrumplican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2015, 05:27:55 AM »

I, actually, quite admire the Greeks. They are dealing with the situation better than I would have expected.

I am surprised that the Golden Dawn hasn't picked up more support than they have. If this were happening in a country with self respect, like Germany or the US, they would be at least up in the 20s by this point, and would be taken seriously like the National Front in France and like Donald Trump in the US.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2015, 05:31:40 AM »

I am surprised that the Golden Dawn hasn't picked up more support than they have. If this were happening in a country with self respect, like Germany or the US, they would be at least up in the 20s by this point, and would be taken seriously like the National Front in France and like Donald Trump in the US.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #266 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:29 AM »

Donald Trump is no Nazi. Fascist, maybe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2015, 05:38:20 AM »

Lol @ the idea Donald Trump is taken seriously.
Retrumplican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2015, 06:40:25 AM »

That's a difference of degree, not of kind. Mussolini was a "fascist," but was he really that different from Hitler?

Anyway, if Trump were in charge of Greece, one can imagine what he would have told those IMF prostitutes after getting that OXI.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »

Maybe the fact that they are unapologetic neo-Nazis and the fact that their leadership is under trial for being a criminal organization that resorted to blackmail and murder has something to do with their limited success.
Retrumplican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »

Lol @ the idea Donald Trump is taken seriously.

Just because you don't like someone, or some party, doesn't mean that they are not a significant political factor if they are winning support. If they are winning support, there is probably a reason for that.

But anyway, we should be talking about Greece, not Trump.

People in Greece seem to be like abused puppies, who finally got up the courage to run away from home, but as soon as they get a block away start to get hungry, and come crawling back to their masters. Sad.
Retrumplican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »

Maybe the fact that they are unapologetic neo-Nazis and the fact that their leadership is under trial for being a criminal organization that resorted to blackmail and murder has something to do with their limited success.

No doubt that is the explanation. However, one would suspect that the Greek people would get over that more quickly, given the severity of the economic crisis.

I guess it probably won't start happening until a few months or a year from now, when the current program is fully implemented, when Greece misses its primary surplus targets, when automatic further cuts go into effect, and when unemployment reaches about 40% or so.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2015, 01:04:13 PM »

ND is keeping its interim leader till spring, per Grauniad.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »

So Left Platform's plan was to forcibly seize the central bank and mint, arrest the governor in preparation to refloat the drachma, and ask Putin for cash.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »

Behind a paywall. You could quote a bit more without violating copyright.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies