Sanders: 'We have got to apologize for slavery'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:10:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders: 'We have got to apologize for slavery'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Sanders: 'We have got to apologize for slavery'  (Read 5645 times)
bobloblaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »

400,000 dead union soldiers isnt apology enough?
bobloblaw
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »

Perhaps not apologize, but recognize that it's part of our history, and that minorities have been disadvantaged since then because of it. It's ignorant to pretend that there's a level playing field in this country.

Minorities?Huh Like Asians and Hispanics???

All this is is a giant cash grab for failures.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »

OK, on behalf of the citizens of the United States, I would like to apologize that slavery ever existed in our nation."  There, it's done. Now what?
Well, do you believe all lives matter?

*prepares a witch hunt with the help of Nancy Pelosi and Trey Gowdy*
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »

I apologize for O.J. Simpson killing his wife. I also apologize for British tea getting dumped into Boston harbor. I apologize for that one time Opie killed a bird with his slingshot on the Andy Griffith Show. I really apologize for that time Hugh Grant got caught with a prostitute. Oh, and Sir Thomas More, I apologize for the public execution. Big sorry to Patrice Lumumba from the CIA-backed coup. Sorry Australia for introducing rabbits. India, our bad that Britain taxed salt-gathering, I'm so sorry. On behalf of Yoko Ono, sorry for breaking up the Beatles. Jewish trade caravans of the 7th century, apologies for the pillaging by the Prophet Muhammad. And finally I apologize to Iran for the Mongols depopulating Persia by like 90%.

There. Our problems are solved now. Would anyone else like to join me in meaninglessly apologizing to other people for other people? Maybe our Marxist colleagues would like to apologize for the Great Leap Forward or Stalin's purges?
bobloblaw
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »

I apologize for O.J. Simpson killing his wife. I also apologize for British tea getting dumped into Boston harbor. I apologize for that one time Opie killed a bird with his slingshot on the Andy Griffith Show. I really apologize for that time Hugh Grant got caught with a prostitute. Oh, and Sir Thomas More, I apologize for the public execution. Big sorry to Patrice Lumumba from the CIA-backed coup. Sorry Australia for introducing rabbits. India, our bad that Britain taxed salt-gathering, I'm so sorry. On behalf of Yoko Ono, sorry for breaking up the Beatles. Jewish trade caravans of the 7th century, apologies for the pillaging by the Prophet Muhammad. And finally I apologize to Iran for the Mongols depopulating Persia by like 90%.

There. Our problems are solved now. Would anyone else like to join me in meaninglessly apologizing to other people for other people? Maybe our Marxist colleagues would like to apologize for the Great Leap Forward or Stalin's purges?

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »

I believe the 13th amendment counts as an apology, and more.

Sanders sounds kind of stupid here, I'm disappointed in him. It smells like senseless pandering, and he should be above that.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2015, 07:58:34 PM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

I believe the 13th amendment counts as an apology, and more.

Sanders sounds kind of stupid here, I'm disappointed in him. It smells like senseless pandering, and he should be above that.

Wait are you telling me a politician who is trying to be president is panderingHuhHuh?? Who would've thunk it? Pandering of course isn't an inherently bad thing (nobody on Atlas has complained at Sanders' entire campaign being targeted squarely at White young college students, because nobody accepts that they are being pandered to).

Has the U.S. Federal government officially apologised for slavery? I think our government has and I think it's only fair they follow suit. After all, we continuously harangue the Japanese for flipping on their apologies for war crimes.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2015, 07:40:05 PM »

lol, this is bottom-of-the-barrel pandering.

If he genuinely believes that he has treated them unfairly, then let him apologize to all the slaves that he has owned for his mistreatment.  Moreover, if he has suddenly decided that he has no God-given right to enslave the slaves he owns, then let him manumit all of his erstwhile slaves.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »

You can't even get Tender to apologize for using a word like "blaxican"; somebody thinks we're going to get white America (let alone this forum) to apologize for slavery?

And this, just like that BLM thread, is one of the cases where a sizable chunk of the left-leaning people become indistinguishable from conservatives on issues that don't relate to their specific socioeconomic background. Gee golly, I wish I could figure out why!

The Atlas Left's Guide to Reasonable and Appropriate Pandering
  • Pander to upper-middle class white 20-somethings by promising trillions in free college assistance when their families can already afford it = appropriate!
  • Pander to blacks by promising to apologize for centuries of institutional discrimination and oppression = inappropriate!

(nobody on Atlas has complained at Sanders' entire campaign being targeted squarely at White young college students, because nobody accepts that they are being pandered to).

Well crap - I had already typed that last part of mine out before I saw you beat me to it; I'm going to leave it in there anyway, because it bears repeating.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2015, 08:08:31 PM »

No, you don't need to ing apologize for something we weren't involved in, It's fine if the US government did that but White people don't need apologize to black people for things the at white people didn't do and have white guilt. Sanders pandering to SJW's, I guess.

However, it would be fine if you gave help to the poor black community to improving their standing in society, however this should not be discriminatory to any other poor person of any race.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »

I don't know if this makes me a vile conservative, but I think the best way to apologize for slavery would be to invest in black business, to try and build a base of minority industry. Only then can the effects of slavery truly be mediated. It's somewhat late to just apologize.

In other words, make Oppressed Black Bodies have to toil for the reparations that they so rightly deserve. You're not a "vile conservative", you're just a racist reactionary.
bobloblaw
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2015, 08:15:29 PM »

I don't know if this makes me a vile conservative, but I think the best way to apologize for slavery would be to invest in black business, to try and build a base of minority industry. Only then can the effects of slavery truly be mediated. It's somewhat late to just apologize.

In other words, make Oppressed Black Bodies have to toil for the reparations that they so rightly deserve. You're not a "vile conservative", you're just a racist reactionary.

They dont deserve reparations.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »

Since this thread is already awful:

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »

Australia has already apologized for its treatment of the Aboriginal population and Norway has apologized for how it treated its minorities in the past like Samis and the Gypsies/travellers (which included lobotomy to some extent), both cases which happened during a much shorter time frame and which I personally think was much less severe than slavery in the USA. While the US government is at it, it should also apologize for slaughtering its Native American population in would could only be characterized as a genocide.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »

You can do both at the same time. You don't have to chose one or the other.
DS0816
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »

Reparations for their descendants.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »

Reparations for slavery and global imperialism is due, I agree. And although you cannot blame the current government for past sins, the fact that black unemployment is double the national rate and that 1 in 4 black people are in poverty is directly linked to repercussions of the slave trade.

Just as Japanese Americans who were jailed during WWII and American Indians who have had their land and mineral rights robbed, descendants of black slaves should receive a substantial motion of apology. Personally I think a ton of this money should funnel into programs to relieve black suffering, like funding inner-city public schools, expanded job training programs, increased drug and alcohol rehabilitation, and other public services.

Agree with all of this. I think maybe the two biggest sins here are the lack of criminal justice coupled with black schools really being appallingly bad compared to schools which mostly white kids attend. When you get such a bad start in life, it's really hard to make up for it later in life.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2015, 12:35:55 PM »

Reparations for slavery and global imperialism is due, I agree. And although you cannot blame the current government for past sins, the fact that black unemployment is double the national rate and that 1 in 4 black people are in poverty is directly linked to repercussions of the slave trade.

Just as Japanese Americans who were jailed during WWII and American Indians who have had their land and mineral rights robbed, descendants of black slaves should receive a substantial motion of apology. Personally I think a ton of this money should funnel into programs to relieve black suffering, like funding inner-city public schools, expanded job training programs, increased drug and alcohol rehabilitation, and other public services.

And just who should pay for this 'substantial motion of apology'? From whose tax dollars should this money come?

From the ultra-rich, of course. I'm sure they could spare a few billion for relief programs.
It'd be like a drop in the bucket compared to their usual paychecks.

Would the 'ultra rich' include black millionaires like Oprah ($2.7 billion in net worth), Tiger Woods ($600 million in net worth), Robert Johnson ($550 million in net worth), Michael Jordan ($525 million in net worth), and Magic Johnson ($500 million net worth)? How about people like Don Peebles, whose net worth is $350 million? Sheila Johnson at $400 million? Kenneth Chenault, head of American Express, whose net worth is $125 million?

Or only white 'ultra-rich' people?

All is all. Tax policies are always colour blind. There's no more reason that Oprah needs billions of dollars while other billionaires don't need them. No human being in this world needs to own billions of dollars. Two of the most pressing issues in the world today are climate change and resource depletion, including the cutting down of rain forrests in order to satisfy an ever growing beef industry. Obviously the biggest sinners here are the billionaire, not the common people. The second biggest sinners are people who have too many people, of whom there are particularily many in African countries.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies