Clinton: It's time for an end to the era of mass incarceration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:17:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton: It's time for an end to the era of mass incarceration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Clinton: It's time for an end to the era of mass incarceration  (Read 2516 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »

Most people in prison are there for violating state laws, not federal ones.

Well, then I guess we can't blame a former 12 year governor of the state with the 8th highest incarceration rate for that.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »

Well, then I guess we can't blame a former 12 year governor of the state with the 8th highest incarceration rate for that.
Hillary Clinton was a governor of Arkansas for 12 years? News to me!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »

Arkansas' incarceration rate was actually at the national average in 1992, and below the average for states in the South.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 11:41:04 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2015, 11:47:18 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Statements without a track record are pointless. She's pandering at its finest. She doesn't actually care about black people.

"It's depressing, it's sad, it's scary. I came through the train on Baltimore last night, I'm glad the train didn't stop *chuckles*. The thing is that really there's so many things we can talk about, it's something we talk about not in the immediate aftermath but over time: the breakdown of the family structure, the lack of fathers, the lack of sort of a moral code in our society. And this isn't just a racial thing, it goes across racial boundaries, but we do have problems in our country." - Rand Paul, the man who cares about Black people.

I'm hopeful that Hillary Clinton will be able to take somewhat aggressive action on this issue. To be blunt, President Obama cannot be an effective advocate on issues related to race because white supremacy still reigns supreme in this country. When the President made a truly powerful statement about Trayvon Martin, he turned a non-controversial case into a partisan issue. This is not his fault but rather a reflection of the reality of race in America.

For the record, this does not mean that I will be supporting Hillary Clinton in the Democratic Primary. That being said, I trust that she'll try to deliver on her promises to end mass incarceration and pass immigration reform, which is enough to assuage my concerns about her troublesome foreign policy ideas and her milquetoast rhetoric on the economy. At the end of the day, I'm a stalwart Democrat because of I care about racial inequality, something that the forum's band of true leftists cannot comprehend. The alternative is so appalling that I'm left with no choice but to back an uninspiring party, again and again.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »

I will commend her for this stance if and only if she comes out in favor of decriminalizing drugs.  Until then, it's just rhetoric.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »

Statements without a track record are pointless. She's pandering at its finest. She doesn't actually care about black people.

She's old enough to have a track record on almost anything.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/us/politics/05clinton.html?pagewanted=2

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/us/politics/05clinton.html?pagewanted=2

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x3071712

It's hard to find an unbiased source on it (because her role in this was either grossly exaggerated or minimized depending on whether was coming from one of her detractors or defenders), but Hillary also helped with monitoring of the trial of Black Panthers on trial in 1969 for the suspected murder of a police informant.

She's the only serious presidential contender that I know of who has had a black campaign manager.

And there's the fact that John Lewis endorsed her both in 2008 and for 2016.

Her statements about mass incarceration are in line with previous statements from 2007

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »

It amazes me how white people are more critical of Paul's statements related to blacks than blacks. I'm a black male and I see nothing wrong with what he said.

Huh?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

I too am a black male for the purposes of this discussion and find both Clinton and Paul's comments reprehensible.
bobloblaw
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 08:18:41 PM »

That is a good point, but there are lots of drug offenders in federal prison too.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 11:59:31 PM »

The states have generally been ahead of the feds when it comes to criminal justice reform.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »

Call me when she endorses ending the war on drugs.  Until then, this is all pretty freaking meaningless.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »

Her husband's prison act which increased prison incarceration rates makes me feel a little uncertain of whether she will pass it, but then again she is so much different than Bill.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies