Why do women vote at higher rates than men? What would happen if turnout were equalized? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:26:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why do women vote at higher rates than men? What would happen if turnout were equalized? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do women vote at higher rates than men? What would happen if turnout were equalized?  (Read 1065 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: August 06, 2023, 05:26:14 AM »

Probably doesn't explain the entire gap (and may note even explain a significant amount of it), but I will note that women live longer than men and therefore, the average woman is older than the average man.

And we all know older people tend to vote more, the reasons behind that are well studied.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 05:38:49 AM »

I read that team Trump is making a major push to get low educated low turnout men to vote more. They are well aware of the stats.

Where have you heard that?

I don't recall now. I read it, not heard it - somewhere. It makes total sense however. That's the most loyal base of all. Trump himself has said he loves uneducated people, not as a Christian or something, but because that is his food source as it were.

The thing I worry about is starting in the 2024 cycle, Republicans becoming an explicitly "pro-men party" and Democrats dig their heels deeper to feminism and MeeToo as a pushback. Too large of a political gender divide spells really bad news for society.

In theory one good thing about a larger gender divide though is things should become a bit less geographically polarized in theory, since men and women are more or less close to evenly distributed across the country.

Are they? For my masters degree I had to look at a variety of demographic indicators and one of the clearest ones was that urban and metropolitan areas skew female while rural areas skew male. The explanation I was not quite able to grasp but it seems a mix of women reaching higher amounts of education, which they use to move to major cities; the "equal but opposite" effect of men falling behind more often as well as most of the job opportunities in rural areas (often related to farming or livestock) tending to prefer men?

Admittedly that was only for Spain (and not even the entire country, just a subset of 35 municipalities; though the trend applies nationwide). I know even right next door in Portugal the trend doesn't exist, so it may not apply in the US.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies